“Great bistro hotel in SF” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
WINTER SALE: SAVE 10%
Ranked #121 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Tennessee
“Great bistro hotel in SF”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

My wife and I had reservations at a chain hotel at Fisherman's Wharf. After a couple of days of that tourist trap, we decided to move to the Union Square area. Walked in off the street and got reservation for rest of our stay. Loved it.

Staff was very friendly. Elevator holds about 6 people and slow, but never a problem.

Hotel room (5th Floor) was small but quaint and very clean. Because we were walk-ins with no rez, no queen-size beds available. Got two doubles, but that was okay. Bed was very comfortable. Asked for view of street, but got room with view over lobby. Oh, well ... beggars can't be choosers.

Bar in lobby. Neat atmosphere.

We ate at the restaurant attached to lobby. Very good food.

Walking distance to Union Square shopping, theater district, art galleries, and Chinatown. One commenter here said that hotel was in "heart of Union Square." That is not exactly accurate. It is on the very fringe of Union Square and borders the Tenderloin district. WARNING: Do not go down Taylor (down the hill from the hotel). I walked early one morning to take some photos and a block away I was in the middle of druggies, winos, pimps, nut cases, meth houses, etc. That kinda stuff does not usually bother me, but that district is pretty rough. Not saying that the hotel is not safe ... we never felt insecure at hotel. Just turn left when you walk out out of the hotel door, not right!!

Good value. If I go back to SF, this is where I will stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011 via mobile

My sister, dad & I just stayed at the Mark Twain hotel in October 2011 for 3 nights.

If you're looking for a nice hotel that is reasonably priced, has friendly staff and is in a good location then this is your place,.

I spent HOURS reading reviews for everywhere I stayed all over the states & promised I'd post honest reviews when I got back so this is one of them.

If you're an impatient person that nit picks everything & is never happy & expects gold when you only wanna pay silver then you may not like that SOMETIMES the lift takes about 1 min, or that the lift isnt MASSIVE.

Location is great, 2 shirt blocks to Powell st where the cable car line is, one block from Macy's & other awesome shops.. A nice restaurant downstairs, cafe next door that does a cheap breakfast.. Oh and free water & lemonade out of a dispenser type thing right next to lifts which is handy when you don't have any on you & dont necessarily want a whole bottle - haven't seen this at other hotels.

Taxi from airport was about $65-$70 but the hotel organized a car for us on way back to airport which was a really nice, big car (for all our luggage!) which was only $45.. So enquire about that first.

The rooms were cleaned really well - as in you could smell the cleaning product which was fine by me.

The room we had wasn't massive - no room to spread all your stuff out but had a decent sized walk i pn cuoboard & we werent there to chill in the hotel room!

Flat screen TV with lots of channels.

Noise was fine, didn't bother me - can't even remember hearing much noise... If noise is something that bothers you perhaps request top floor but wasn't an issue for me at all.

All in all, good hotel - I'd stay there again & definitely recommend it.

• Stayed October 2011
Henderson, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Hotel Mark Twain is a wonderful place to stay when you're in S.F. for several reasons. First, it's location. It's in the heart of Union Square which is within walking distance to the cable cars, shopping, and awesome bars and restaurants. We stayed in a clean, comfortable bed, complete with flat screen TV, free wi-fi, and the shower is one of those large shower heads that I love. There's a great restaurant in the hotel if you don't feel like walking, and an awesome breakfast nook right next door. The staff is very friendly and helpful. You can valet your car for $27 a day, so parking is no problem. Plus, who doesn't love a hotel named after one of the greatest writers of all time? You'll see his famous quotes located around the hotel. This is the only place we'll stay when we are in San Francisco. The price is affordable too: $146.00 on a Saturday night, which is pretty reasonable for the city and the amenities.

Rijswijk, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Mark Twain hotel was à Nice hotel on a great location in San Francisco!
Clean room, not very special.
Valet parking is quiet expensive!
We had a nice 4 night stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on a high floor!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Front desk service is great, friendly, and helpful. I have requested a quiet room, so they gave me a room facing inside 'patio'. The room is good size and clean. Free wi-fi works very good in my room. Neighbourhood is only a little bit unpleasant, but it is fine with us. If you like to go breakfast, please go the tiny restaurant next door. This retaurant is very busy with good quality of food, and price is very reasonable.

Room Tip: Go to the breakfast restaurant at next door.
Byron Bay, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

We enjoyed our 4 night stay in spite of the warnings we read from other reviewers about the neighborhood, etc. Consider this hotel as a blast from the past. Clean, great staff, and a bit cramped and noisy at times, but on the whole, cheap and cheerful. If you want to pay a lot more, stay across the street at the Hilton.

Room Tip: Not much choice. The huger the better for street noise.
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

When vacationing with friends in new cities, I would prefer to spend my money on dining out and activities rather than where I rest my head at the end of the night...after all, my pillow comes with me on all my travels.

If you're like I am and you don't spend time other than sleeping in your hotel then this is a great place to stay. Friends that have lived in the city had warned me that this hotel wasn't in the nicest of neighborhoods, but after living in NYC and Philadelphia really think that the idea of a "bad neighborhood" is subjective to it's residents. The hotel's surroundings were decent, it really is in a convenient location to most mass transit and sits on the cusp of Union Square.

The room was on the small side, but there were four of us economically-conscious folk splitting a $89/nt room...at that rate can you really complain? All of the amenities of any other hotel were found in our room from a flat screen tv and safe to a blow dryer and iron. Again at the rate of $89 for a night in any other city you'd be sleeping on bunk beds in a hostel with shared floor bathrooms...this was a steal! The elevator was on the small side, but we were only on the 4th floor so most of the time we decided to take the steps (with the exception of the day that we visited the Coit Tower).

The front desk staff was incredibly helpful in giving us mapped out directions to everything that we wanted to see. I've read other reviews about signing into the hotel at night, problems with additional guests in rooms, and catching flack from security for the noise, we didn't have any issues of the sort. As for the noise outside the hotel? Get over it, you're staying in the middle of a major metropolis, for some of us those noises are our lullaby.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Mark Twain? Share your experiences!