“Great value!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #170 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Chicago, IL
“Great value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2005

We got a room for $50 a night. Incredible value! The hotel is approximatley 2 blocks from Union Square, on Post St. We were in the middle of the busiest part of town, for a great rate. We were able to hop on all the public transpo options due to our great location.

The room is small, but IMO very doable, especially for the price in San Francisco. The claw-footed bathtub looked cool, but we didn't partake in taking a bath...who knows how often they clean it? The bathroom was way small, and I felt a little disgusted in there after I took a shower, since the small-tiled floor would get all grimy...

Microwave, fridge, TV. Upon arriving, we discovered that the sink was clogged and a lightbulb was missing. They fixed that within the hour. Noise doesn't really bother me, but for others it may...it can get noisy. The most common noise, I would say, is that of the firetrucks that whir by non-stop.

I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed May 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2005

I just got back from the Dakota (mid-May). The room was small-ish, but not oppressively so and similar to most small European hotels. Perfectly acceptable by my single guy standards.
The bed was comfy, there was a working fridge, microwave, TV and remote. The bathroom was good, with an old-school tub with feet, like when I was a kid. Too bad I couldn't enjoy the shower too much with my horribly-bad sunburn (damn you LA!).

I was on the 6th floor facing Post and it was somewhat noisy, which I'm used to at home and I came prepared with earplugs. By midnight or so, though, it quiets down. But that's the price you pay for the location, which is quite good. Yeah there's homeless people, but they're harmless (in my opinion) and if you just treat them like a human its not too bad. I didn't give out a dime besides buying one of their papers, and I had some interesting conversations at that. Maybe its cause I'm a young guy but I had no problems, even at night (just don't go much more south).

The elevator is unreliable, but fun. You're in San Francisco and if you're not in the mood for quirks then you're in the wrong town. The deskstaff are very helpful and friendly and you can leave you bags in the lobby while you enjoy your last day.

The missing circle in the recommendation represents the noise inside the hotel itself, mostly in the morning (renovation on my floor as well as happy but somewhat loud maid service in the hallways) along with general bad lighting in the room at night, which was only an issue due to my sunburn and medical attention that was hampered by it.

But in all I'd stay here again no doubt, considering the price. I have no real complaints, nothing that couldn't be solved by talking to the deskstaff. It felt like a room I was renting in someone's home in Europe. That's a good thing.

The third photo here is my view out of my window. The fourth is just an interesting shot of coit tower, not the view.

• Stayed May 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2005

When me and some relatives decided to visit San Fransico, we planned on staying a night in SF and then going to San Jose where my brother lives. The hotel itself was nice, except for the unreliable elevator. My brother almost lost a limb trying to get out of it because it started moving while we were trying to get out. This hotel is not for little kids because the steep stairs, the unreliable elevator, open windows (on the inside) that open into an old elevator shaft where if a child was to crawl on the window, they would possibly fall to their death. Noise wasnt that bad, but I sleep with a fan on high at home. Certain things annoyed me about the hotel though, such as the fact that the staff gave us ----- directions, didn't tell us we were on the street that the Chinese New Year parade would go down and that fridge wouldn't work, the telephone wouldn't work, and there were no batteries in the TV remotes. But I can't really gripe... we got a discount on two "Suites" (if thats what they call that little box of a room, since my used her husbands Southwest Airlines discounts. Also, don't go out at night unless you feel like being asked for change. Other than that, its a half-decent hotel for the money.

• Stayed February 2005

Been to The Dakota Hotel? Share your experiences!