“Good Value if you're doing San Francisco on the cheap” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Inn on Broadway to your Saves list
Expedia.com Booking.com
Inn on Broadway
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Van Ness Ave, San Francisco, CA 94109 (Formerly Broadway Manor Inn)   |
Ranked #148 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Fort McMurray, Canada
“Good Value if you're doing San Francisco on the cheap”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Well since I was doing San Francisco on a budget I had first booked at the Travel lodge by the airport which was like 50$ a night as opposed to the 90 something bucks this place cost. Well, in short, I left a review of the travel lodge titled " Well if I was gonna start a meth lab.. I'd stay HERE! IT STINKS!!" and went on to add pictures of the brown stain on the ceiling, the blood/burns and white substance on the carpet and the dirty gross bathtub I quickly left that gross place spent my first night at a days inn nearby and then settled on this place. As my money was tied up on now booking a new hotel (and the travel lodge told me it would take 3-5 days to refund my credit card.. ugh!) I had to cut back on unnecessary eating out. This place provided some crucial things to being in San Francisco and living on hardly anything

- Ample parking (some hotels say they have parking, but it's only a few spots on a first come first serve basis and they fill up fast, which is a load of BS and semi misleading advertising IMO) but this place has one parking spot for every room, which is perfect!

-It's fairly cheap considering the area. One hotel I checked out was charging 219$ a night with no parking included and nothing fancy about it.. ouch! This room cost me 119$ on a busy weekend and 90 something$ on weekdays which I considered reasonable.

-You get a microwave and fridge in your room. SCORE! this was the reason I snapped up a room in this place. Since I was broke I did a quick google search (Oh and they have free WIFI! Another bonus!) and found a place called Foods co. A short drive away. Now Food co. is not an upscale grocery store but.. most things are priced like its 1995. So I picked up some frozen entrees, some canned goods, microwavable plastic plates (gotta make sure you buy the microwavable type), and plastic cutlery and snacks (Came out to 50$ with booze to feed two people for an entire week and I even had snacks and burritos to take along with me on the road trip back home.)

- Free WIFI as mentioned earlier

-Close to everything! I did a ton of walking here and it was all made possible by the proximity to this place.

-Clean and the noise was manageable. I was right on Broadway and if you're a light sleeper it could be bothersome but I found if you just kept the window shut it was great.

-Generally good area and decent clientele. I never felt unsafe in this area once! and I was out and about at all hours of the day.

-No bed bugs.. always a plus!

Cons

-Room smelt a little musty but that's just the air freshener they use.. they need a better air freshener.

-A little noise that may be bothersome if you're a light sleeper (In that case ask for a room on the quieter side of the hotel) Although I don't know if this is a con.. since I don't understand what you'd expect in a place that's close to everything, San Francisco is a busy city with traffic to match after all, as with any big city so some traffic noise is always to be expected.

-The coffee they provided everyday wasn't that horrible, but still on the low grade side. But considering most hotel coffee is just terrible, this stuff kept me going each and every morning pretty good... looking back I think I should have sprung for my own coffee though, oh! and if you like your coffee sweet and creamy I'd suggest you buy your own sugar cubes and cream. (they give you a very small amount in your coffee package for two everyday, which includes coffee grounds, two packages of sugar and two packages of coffee whitener)

- We put the do not disturb sign up when we were out and then saw our room had been cleaned when we came back. Nothing ever went missing, even the change on the counter, so that wasn't bad or anything, just surprising.

So overall if you want to do San Fran on the cheap, this place provides all the necessities for a solid price and it's clean with no bed bugs, plus I loved the room decor (For just a basic room they had very nice black and white pictures of San Fransisco on the walls)

This place overall made my trip to San Francisco a little better as it provided a nice clean and safe place to stay in.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the quieter side if you are a light sleeper. If you're not the noise is average...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Torrance, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This motel is in Pacific Heights and close to everything. It is an older property and as such is showing some wear and tear. The rooms are clean, with updated TV, baths, microwave ovens and refrigerators. The parking is free. It is walking distance to some very nice restruants.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Everyone knows,or you can imagine,that S.F. is an expensive place to be, and therefor the Inn o.B. was a good choice for us. The room was clean, the receptionist was doing her job and the parking was free - you really do not need a car in S.F. not least because it is almost impossible to find a free parking space. Our first night was not so great,because it was so noisy - mostly because of partying people,and someone a floor up was constantly walking around (really annoying) - the following nights was just the traffic noise and the "sleepwalker". ;-) But hey, the Inn o.B. is a great spot to start exploring the city: public traffic, best breakfast bagels, shops,restaurants,...within walking distance. And believe me, earplugs can work miracles.

• Stayed September 2012
Singapore City, null, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Reservation was taken over phone.. It was quick, painless and fuss free.

When we arrived, our rooms were ready for us.. We spent little time filling up forms. It was all prepared before hand - including the card keys and wireless access codes. I was pleasantly surprised to see all these done. The receptionist was friendly and efficiently. We had free parking too.

The rooms were spacious with two queen size beds. There was adequate amenities and the large Samsung flat TV loaded with a huge number of channels.

The location is great to public access with restaurants lacing Polk street one block away.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Whhhhhats up! I m a 25yr old guy from Pa and I just stayed in this hotel 12/7/12-12/12/11/12 and it was the best for the price. The room had two nice beds and a plasma sumsung with Comcast (bunch of channels). A friend and I stayed here after traveling from from San Diego to Oakland and then to SF. I admit the elevator is real shady but it's only 3 stories u can use the steps!! The bathroom was nice, shower pressure was above average, a tile was missing from the sink but i heard them renovating next door so they're probably updating soon. The cleaning ladies are always ready to clean the room. It's not a five star hotel but Its in the middle of a lot of stuff and there are bars on Van Ness which were awesome. Parking was fine at the building. It cost $10 to catch a cab to Fishermans Warf/ $7 to broadway&coloumbus / $20 to the mission district. You can walk to a lot of things but get ready these hills are insane!!!! Bottom line this is the place to stay if you wanna ball on a budget and have a secure place. Place was ALOT nicer than the reviews!!!

Room Tip: Room 219 baby!!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My best friend and I pulled up at the Broadway inn exhausted from a 2day drive, desperate for a rest Walked into the slightly less appealing "reception area" stained stinky carpet, uninviting stench and terrible service, we continued with our reservation for the price. Parked and took our bags upstairs, the floor throughout the entire place was grubby, the elevator creaked and sounded as if it was struggling to make it up the floors, opened the door to our room where the warm welcome was an overwhelming odour, placed out bags onto the beds, had a quick scan of the room lined with some more heavily stained carpet. Thinking it would be ok, walked into the bathroom to use the toilet only to find it had already been used... STILL giving this place the benefit of the doubt we left our things and went to dinner down the street. After walking by far more appealing inns at basically the same price, we started to re think. Asked a few locals what we could expect and our response from each differed between, paper thin walls "dont expect any shut eye if youre a light sleeper" too having randoms bashing on your door during the night, and the deal breaker... "possible bed bugs". Feeling dirty, we booked a new room at a place down the street, we returned to get our stuff and drop the key back to the front desk where we sugar coated why we were leaving to save the staff at the counter embarrassment, after the rude response and disgusting service we received she said she could try get a refund organised but we would have to phone later as her manager was out. Phoned back around 30mins later to see the progress on the refund, only to be told our bed had been used.. ( top sheet slightly peeled back to search for those bed bugs) and only half the price could be refunded THEN HUNG UP ON US. Absolutely disgraceful! Travelled across the whole US and not once did we come across a place as horrendous as this.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Ok... so Van Ness Avenue is noisy. The constant drone of daytime and evening traffic is not the problem... it's the 3am dump trucks, fire engines and street sweepers that will wrench you from the arms of Morpheus.

However... If you can get a room 3 or 4 back from the road (and not overlooking Broadway), you'll probably be fine. I was initially in a room on the Van Ness end and it was dire. I asked to be moved and the receptionist was happy to oblige, moving me to a room about 4 from the end, and it was MUCH better.

Also, if you turn on the air con, you might notice a faint urine smell. I thought someone had pee'd on the air inlet, but later discovered (when I changed rooms) this is the smell of the carpet 'freshener'.

The location (Pacific Heights) is great. Very safe and charming, with a regular bus service right out front, a great brunch diner on the corner and the cool neighbourhood area of Polk St and Union St (rather upmarket) each a short walk away.

I was in town on the busiest weekend of the year and was left with limited options for reasonably priced accommodation. I made a good choice (once I'd moved rooms).

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room in the northern wing (where the reception is) and at least 3 units from the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Inn on Broadway? Share your experiences!