“Fantastic!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #97 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were greeted by the friendly staff who gave us a map of the city and spent time with us explaining where to go and where to not go. They advised us on the best travel routes for the tours we had planned and were most helpful.

The price was great and the room was clean and spacious. The wireless internet was a bonus!!

The location of the hotel was close to great restaurants and public transport, perfect for us to get to Union Square, AT&T Park for the Baseball and Fisherman's Wharf. There was no need for cabs.

I would definitely stay here again as it was fantastic value.

Thanks you Staff at Castle Inn you made our trip very enjoyable. We can't wait to return!!!

672 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
HOVE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I usually go for a ' name ' when booking a hotel ( Hilton, Marriott etc ), but came across the Castle Inn on a website, and decided to give it a go. It's certainly different ! We had the room on the top floor facing the front of the building. It was spacious, everything worked that should do, and it was clean. Ok, not up to Hilton standards but I wasn't expecting it to be. The guy on reception, while very laid back, was also very helpful and clued us in on the immediate area. The hotel is about a 15 minute downhill walk to the bayfront, Fisherman's Wharf. There are a few restaurants and bars in nearby Polk Street but we preferred FW and Pier 39.
If I go back to San Francisco I would have no hesitation in staying at the Castle Inn again, although I would want the same room.

Room Tip: Ask for Third Floor room
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for the second time.
Now a little expensive compered to the standard, but good situated.
Nice, spacy room but a little dark though we definitely had one of the best in the back on the third floor.
Breakfast was only served until nine o'clock , and that is not ok. As last time there is no bread and juice - only coffee, yoghurt, muffins and apples. Should have been better.
The bed is fine and the bathroom is vell functioning.
Perhaps we will stay here again next time visiting SF.

• Stayed September 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We chose the Castle Inn because of the location, the front desk upon check in where really really good, advising us of places to go, places not to go and tickets if we needed them. The hotel included parking and breakfast with coffee at reception throughout the day. Considering the price this hotel is above average in everthing!! The hairdryer did not work and I reported this to reception, this was fixed within the hour.

New Orleans, LA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed here one night while visiting friends. It was the lowest price in close proximity with parking included. The hotel has 2 check in parking spaces front and center - a drive to basement parking on the left and a drive up to mezzanine parking on the right (same level as office) with three floors of rooms above that. Friendly staff, I requested top floor and got it, more natural light up there - lots of security cameras, ventilation primarily through screened windows facing open walkway - did not notice or look for AC as temp was nice. The hotel is a little dated, but comfortable, think 70s/80s Holiday Inn along a highway in terms of room layout and furniture - Very walkable location to Russian Hill and beyond. Cable Car about 2 1/2 blocks east on Hyde Street. Lots of restaurants near and more up and down Vann Ness, Polk, Hyde etc. I would stay hear again on a budget as it seemed a good value for San Francisco ($$$$)

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed here for a single night on a 2 day trip to San Francisco. The manager/owner checke dus in at the front desk and was most informative and helpful. He asked us how long we were in town for, and if he could advise on anything we might like to do or see? He gave us a 2 minute map assited run down of the places worth seeing within walking distance and also the places worth giving a miss. This little pep talk was humourous, straight up, and informative and we both left smiliing. The car parking area is secure with CCTV in front desk and buzzer if someone enters the car parking area. The room was a good size for a double room, and the TV had plenty of channels. The room, while probably a bit dated, was very clean. The sheets were excellent and the bed was comfortable and I had a great nights sleep. There is a K-mart across the road while is grand if you need some snacks or food etc. The only issue I had was with the wifi. the signal was weak and neither my android phone or my iPhone could connect unless I went outside my room into the hallway. This was not too big of a deal. I went outside a few times in the evening to check my emails. This place is ideal for someone who wants somewhere thats clean, helpful, and well run. It has no fancy bells and whistles, but is very comfortable. I was concerned there might be 'street noise' at night or cars and truck spassing etc, but I heard nothing and slept right through. The breakfast is a table downstairs with fresh coffee and a selection of pastries etc. again, this was not an issue. The area has plenty of places to buy breakfast in the morning if you prefer to get an early start like we did.
I would have no problems recommending this place. It exceeded my expectations. Just needs a couple of wifi boosters to be top class. :)

Room Tip: We were on a room at the front facing the street, it was fine.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This review will be split into two parts: 'A 3 night stay' and 'Losing my passport'.

A 3 night stay:

I booked into the Castle Inn based on a combination of reviews, cost and photographs. I can understand some of the other reviewers who feel that this is slightly expensive for a motel and what it provides - just comparing some of the other local hotels can show that - but for a group of 4 it offered us the best value in a good location, without paying Union Square prices. It's close enough to the Marina and Russian Hill, with good transport links. There are masses of restaurants and cafes within walking distance.

From the outside it doesn't really look like anything, just some concrete and a small staircase, and the reception is up a flight of stairs. The guy on reception was efficient and friendly without being effusive. First glances make you think the rooms might be a bit pokey and dilapidated because the reception is not modern and shiny, and 4 people with luggage filled it entirely. After that the room was a pleasant surprise. Light and airy and with comfortable beds. A full refrigerator, good shower, microwave, large flat screen TV - everything we needed really. And all in clean good condition. We had a room for 2 guys with a double bed each, and it was still spacious. The bathroom was quite large. The room was cleaned promptly every day, and check out was no problem. I found it to be very quiet of an evening.

Let's consider those reviewers who say this is a motel at hotel prices - if that really was the case, they'd have been staying in a hotel. I can imagine how if you've got one room with 2 adults and 2 kids this might not be the place for you, but for individuals, friends, couples and travellers I think it does a very good job and I was very satisfied.

Losing my passport:

Sometimes a place can leap beyond your expectations by how they help you in a crisis, and the Castle Inn really helped me to keep it together. 10 days after my stay I was in LA preparing to fly home. No passport! I'd unwittingly left it in San Fran at the Castle Inn, and a quick call confirmed this. Whilst I bumbled about in LA calling the embassy, British Consulate and Virgin Atlantic, Arlene at the Castle Inn patiently contacted courier companies in SF and spoke to contacts trying to establish whether she could send my passport to me. However the USA bank holiday meant I wouldn't get it for days. Fast forward most of a day, and I'd flown back to the motel to collect the passport in person, arriving pretty exhausted. I needed to contact Virgin as they'd told me before my flight that they only had 3 spaces left for a flight out, so I was desperate to confirm. Marshall at the Castle Inn let me call them from his mobile to save the international costs to me. And he didn't complain when I was then on his mobile trying to get through to Virgin for 55 minutes. In fact, after 30 minutes he took the mobile and left it calling on loudspeaker and suggested that I also make a secondary call on their landline. Bear in mind at this time I was just an idiot ex-guest, and they helped me so much. Even trying to rearrange their reception to I had somewhere to sit. It was an act of kindness that really buoyed me through a long day, and they wouldn't accept any $$ for the cost either.

So in summary, I'd give this motel a B+. It could be a bit cheaper, but it's in a great location. I think it's still cheaper than a hotel. The rooms are good and clean. It's quiet of an evening. However, the assistance I got is definitely worthy of an A*. I couldn't be more appreciative of Marshall and Arlene. Thank you.

Room Tip: They are all very similar, with a similar view. It's logical that higher rooms will have less s...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Castle Inn? Share your experiences!