“Excellent location and value for SF!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Columbus Motor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Francisco
Columbus Motor Inn
1075 Columbus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94133   |
Ranked #29 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Minnesota
“Excellent location and value for SF!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed here for a week for our Spring break in late March 2013. We chose this motel due to it's location and the good Tripadvisor reviews. Overall, we were very pleased with our stay! This place is perfectly located and many attractions are within walking distance. Also, it is a fantastic value for SF especially considering the free parking.

Pros
* value can't be beat, including the free parking
* location (close to fisherman's wharf, pier 39, north beach, chinatown, coit tower, Lombard street, Hyde Street pier, Russian hill, trolley, busses, bike rentals and more within walking distance)
* many great restaurants nearby
* our room was very good sized, basically a 2 room suite with 1 king and 1 queen (room 313)
* contrary to what some others review have stated, refrigerators ARE available, and cost $5 a night - this was well worth it for us since we saved a lot of money on food this way by eating in for some meals
* quiet on the back side (but no view)
* they have free fruit out in a basket at the front desk that was excellent (oranges)
* front desk staff and housekeeping were all pleasant to work with

Cons
* the parking is free, but the lot spaces are on the small side. A large vehicle could have some issues fitting and maneuvering, especially in the upper lot
* can be noisy outside, especially on the front side of the hotel (it is a big city after all)
* plumbing in 313 was not perfect (leaky shower faucet, pipes knocked when running water)
* no view whatsoever on the back side - see pictures (but it is quieter)
* the elevator was little creaky and made a lots of banging noise....we kept hoping it wouldn't get stuck. It was down one day for repairs during our stay

Other Notes:
*See the room layout photo I posted to get a feel for the rooms. They are all quite unique due to the odd layout of this place. It appears that 315 is the best room (corner with views and large sized rooms)
* there are two parking lots, one right at the main level and another around the block. Don't be discouraged when you check in to find the lower lot full since it pretty much always is, you can always park in the upper lot and that is just as convenient to the elevator
* We bought the CityPass from Alcatraz Cruises ahead of time and that was a great value, since it comes with free public transportation passes and tickets to several SF attractions
* there is a Walgreens store very close and we bought many odd and ends here over the week, plus they even had some fresh food like salads and sandwiches and more that were inexpensive and decent

Please note that the 5 star rating I am giving is all about value and location..... this is NOT a Four Seasons or Ritz type high end property so if you are looking for that you need to look elsewhere. But for anyone wanting a great value, nice rooms, and perfect location, this one would be tough to beat. Thanks for reading.

Room Tip: stay on the back side if you want it quieter, stay on the front side if you want a view and don'...

784 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Casa Grande, AZ.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

OK, first off..I'm not sure if it classifies as a hotel since it does not offer amenities like room service, but it hardly seems fair to call it a motel either.

My daughter and I stayed here for 3 nights from March 18-21st. It was very important to me to find some place safe since my daughter has just recently learned she's pregnant - and we were two women traveling alone. Once again, the TA community steered me in the right direction and we could not have been happier!!

We arrived about an hour after the official check in time, around 4:00 p.m. and pulled into and parked in their ground level parking garage (with FREE parking, as noted in other reviews, a huge money saver in SFO). We drive a Ford Expedition and while it was a tight fit, my daughter parked in a space right next to a pole without much jostling around.

Walked into front office and was greeted by Noah, one of the nicest young men I've ever met. He got us checked in right away, and immediately called for a fridge when I requested one ($5 extra dollars a day, but that's peanuts compared to FREE PARKING). We went back out to the car, loaded a luggage cart with our stuff, took the easy elevator entrance (right inside the entry door, mere steps from garage) and went up to our room. We were in Room 111, a 1st floor room that was towards the back of the property. I can understand there might be noise if you were in a room that fronted the street, but you'd have thought we were on the moon for all the noise we DIDN'T hear! Walked in and room, again as noted before, was immaculately clean. Yes, the property is older; perhaps it could use some refurbishing. But I'm one of those people that cannot get comfortable and sleep well if I feel the motel/hotel room I'm in is dirty or uncomfortable...or might harbor dead hookers under the bed. From the moment we walked in, my daughter and I felt at home. The room was cozy. Small, but large enough for two gals with 2 double beds (that were larger than we expected), a table and 2 chairs. Linens were spotlessly clean and smelled good. Nothing gave you that "itchy" feeling of using someone else's room. Now, I will say this: At first we though we smelled a slight older odor of cigarette smoke. But we opened the window and the room aired out beautifully. I don't think it was smoke, I think the room may just have been stuffy? Because our hair and clothes didn't smell bad when we left (& my hubby being a reluctant ex-smoker would have crawled me like a jungle jim if he thought he'd smelled smoke on my clothes!). We only aired it the once and after that did not notice any odor.

A/C & heater worked very well. We only used the heater, but tried the A/C for chips and pickles. Heater kept the room toasty, in a good way, without baking us. HUGE flat screen TV with a great picture. Plenty of drawers for storing our clothes and a closet with more hangers than I've every seen in a rented room. Very much appreciated that to hang jackets! Closet had safe, iron & ironing board but we did not use any of them. Sink was outside the bathroom, which worked for us, especially in the mornings so one of us could shower and the other could do hair and makeup. Coffee & tea maker situated on sink counter; and a hair dryer that worked really well. Bathroom was very clean - pleasantly so, with plenty of thick, absorbent towels for two chicks who use 2 towels after showering. I will warn you that the lights in the bathroom take a few minutes to get bright. Couldn't really figure this one out until I staggered in there at 3 a.m. and was NOT blinded by the lights. We'd just flip them on, give it a few minutes then step in and shower. No biggie. So don't go running to the front desk griping about the lights, just be patient.

Shower was amazing!! Fantastic water pressure and hot water RIGHT NOW. So hot that you could have cooked a lobster in it - and it didn't waver at all while both of us showered. We loved it.

We walked to Fisherman's Wharf from the hotel and it is an easy 2 or 3 block walk on mainly level roads (a miracle in SFO) both ways. Very safe area, we never felt threatened or in harm's way. Took cabs from the pier area back to hotel due to rain and it was only a $6-8 ride; took the bus too and it was $2 with a stop nearly directly outside and across the street from the hotel.

Dealt with front desk the 2nd day there as I was needing to break a $20 to have bus fare. Don't know who I dealt with but it seemed to be him and the owner or manager - both SUPER nice. When the front desk didn't have enough to break it, the other gentlemen made it happen for me. I thought that was pretty darn nice of him!

Being in a green city, we did not request maid service at all while we were there, but happened to encounter a maid in the hallway one day. Really nice lady, offered to come in and tidy up but we thanked her and said we were fine. It's so rare that a maid will speak to you and in such a nice way, so it made an impression.

We moved our car to the upper level parking area because....my daughter wanted to, I have no idea why - I think she said it was easier to get to our room. Anyway, a little more spacious parking up there, but in BOTH garages our car was left undisturbed and safe (another miracle considering I'm a big Oakland Raiders fan and have a sticker the size of a watermelon in my back window!).

Overall, we both looked forward to returning "home" at the end of the day. No, this isn't the Four Seasons or the Omni, but you cannot beat the price and the free parking for what you get here. And it's not a matter of sacrificing to save a buck. If we are ever lucky enough to visit the beautiful city of San Francisco, I can guarantee you we will stay at the Columbus Inn or any of their other properties in town.

Thanks again, Trip Advisors!

Smithfield, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Never written a review while still staying at a place, but this one deserves it. We are three days into a five day stay and I am completely satisfied with every aspect of this hotel. The front desk staff Noah is friendly, helpful and seems to genuinely care about the guests and his ability to make our vacations everything we want them to be. The rooms are fantastic. We stayed in a dbl dbl room with no complaints. The room is quite large with a work area that includes a large table, the large flat screen on the wall with a huge variety of channels made for a relaxing late evening. The air conditioning in the room works perfectly and the fan is quiet which is nice for sleeping. The beds are really comfortable and the decorative pillows give them the appearance of a upscale hotel. The rooms seem to be very quiet, have yet to hear any other guests. Parking is free which I'm sure is a huge bonus for many. We didn't bring a car and didn't rent one while here and haven't needed one thanks to public transporation. The bathrooms had a perfect size shower curtain (not constantly pushing it against the tub) and tiled marble floors that made it look well beyond the price I paid. Our view out of our room (3rd floor) was beautiful looking straight out to Coit tower and downtown skyline. It was picture perfect. The location simply cannot be beat. Short five minute walk to Lombard street, 10 minutes to the fishermans wharf. Many places to eat nearby and a grocery store and wallgreens within a couple of blocks. The Mason/Powell cable car is 2 blocks away and there is a station there that you can buy extended day passes for the cars and buses in town. (also sells route maps). Public transportation from this place is easy and convienent. There is also a bike rental shop next door (didn't use this) but seems to be an easy place to rent for rides accross the Golden gate. Walking around the neighborhood seems moderately safe. As to be expected there are occasional a sketchy looking person but there doesn't seeem to be the homeless crowd that is seen father south and there is a lot of traffic and people walking around so you are seldom that isolated. As mentioned the walk to pier 39 as well as the walk to pier 33 (alcatraz) is a short 10-15 minute walk so location is beyond perfect. Another positive note, they have airport shuttle transportation from the hotel for a reasonalbe fee which is very helpful if you are using public transportation saving you from having to purchase a BART ticket and have an extra couple of hours in SF instead of sitting on a subway. I know that writing a review before checking out is risky and not advised. But I simply cannot wait to get one more positive review out about this place. Completely met our needs and is making for a perfect vacation stay in SF.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms facing south east give a fantastic view of the city
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Loved the hotel. Had a group with 4 rooms. Staff very helpful. Wasn't expecting luxury when we booked. Rooms all nice. Suite was also really nice. Free parking huge bonus. Great location to wharf/water front, Lomard street etc. 7 block 10-15 min walk to china town and little Italy. Across the street was a really good indian place. Pats cafe was really good. 2 blocks up nice cafe with quick breakfast-bagels and great coffee. Easy access to drive over Golden Gate bridge. Muir woods is great.
one block away from trolly stop where the turn around is.
Overall great place. Would come back anytime.

Universal City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I highly recommend this hotel. It is a few blocks from the Wharf. Two blocks from the cable car. And the rooms are clean and fresh. I chose this hotel by the reviews on Trip Advisor and they were not wrong. The crookedest street is a few blocks from hotel also. No charge for parking your car. Yea!!. No refrigerator or microwave but that's ok. Also the room with tax for two people was only $150 for one nite. A great price and great value for San Francisco. The desk clerks are friendly and helpful with information. They recommended Scoma's Restaurant on the Wharf but I would go elsewhere because there is no view.
Try Pier 39 for restaurants with a great view of bay. Bubba Gump's was delicious with great service and a great view.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We (2 couples) stayed for one night March, 2013. Great price, free parking (which is unusual in S.F.), large rooms, clean, free Wifi, friendly staff and best of all walking distance to North Beach, Wharf, Cable car line, and the F-Line of the Muni. We took a taxi to Asian Art Museum to see the Chinese Terracotta Warriors exhibit - and caught the F-Line (old vintage train cars) on Market and ended up two blocks away from hotel. Since it is on Columbus Av, vehicle noise can be a little loud. I would suggest getting a room on the backside. Our room had a little balcony, great for letting fresh air in. Fantastic location. We will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Choose 2nd or 3rd floor and on backside for less street (vehicle) noise. Even though we were on str...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

We (2 adults and 5 month old baby) stayed here for 3 nights in December. It's an inn on a busy road so you have to expect it is what it is but the staff were friendly, the room was huge, dated but clean, loads of space for all of our luggage, large baby buggy and travel cot and as we were staying 3 nights it was extremely reasonable. There was some noise from the main road outside so I did ask to move rooms but they were full. The noise wasn't so bad that it was waking the little guy up, he did that all by himself :-). There's no restaurant or any self catering but there is free parking which is excellent. Location is fantastic for sightseeing, about 3 blocks from fishermans wharf and Lombard street is just up the hill (of course, it's San Fran) both must be seen on a visit to San Fran. There's a nice hippy cafe around the corner, they have free wifi, like most places we went to in California and serve lovely bagels and fresh fruit salad, sorry cant remember the name but if I recall come out of the Columbus, turn right and first right gain the cafe is one block back on the left on the corner. I'll blame baby brain for not remembering more! Enjoy, we would definitely stay ay the Columbus again. San Fran was the start of an epic 2 month round the world trip for us ( yes with a baby! ) and we can't wait to go back! Only just starting to review the trip now but may take a while, I've got a wriggly 8 month old now....

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Columbus Motor Inn? Share your experiences!