“Very cheap, great location, unfortunately bed bugs.” 3 of 5 stars

AAE Amsterdam San Francisco
749 Taylor Street, San Francisco, CA 941098 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #34 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Very cheap, great location, unfortunately bed bugs.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

This place is half hotel, half hostel. I did like it for the fantastic downtown location, one block away from a cable car line. I found the staff friendly and the rooms clean. They have cleaners going over the common areas and kitchen on a daily base. The only thing unacceptable was that they still gave a bed out, knowing that it was contaminated with bed bugs. It's a hostel and I can understand those things might happen and doesn't need to have anything to do with cleanliness etc. I got bitten and told the front desk staff. They were apologetic and offered me another room or bed. They even wrote on a big note "BED BUGS IN BED / ROOM...." and sticked it to their computer. So I was very surprised to see then that they gave that bed straight away out again to the next traveler - poor fellow with dreadlocks where bedbugs probably love to nest.
Obviously they didn't really care about it. While my spots are all terribly itchy now, I wonder how much longer they might have been already aware of that problem without doing anything about it.
If this would have not happened I would recommend this place as a very good and cheap alternative.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

I was pretty disapointed when we arrived, its quite dark and dated. We booked a 4 bed private room with ensuite and was a little suprised we were handed our linen and towels at reception. I thought they would have least made the bed ( what am i paying for exactly). We arrived after a 15 hour journey so was not impressed when we opened the door to our room and were hit by the smell of all smells. To this day i can't pin point what it was (Sort of damp/musky/petrol/disifectant smell). Room did look a bit like a prison cell, but to be fair the beds were quite comfy. Not much in the way of blankets, prob could get very cold in winter. Bathroom was quite clean aside from a few mouldy patches on ceiling. Breakfast was free but didnt fancy eating there, as i suspected kitchen wasnt going to be overly clean. Hall carpet was constantly wet outside or room, wasnt too nice to walk around bare foot. Laundy facilities were excellent and there was a large common room and computers. Staff were nice enough, didnt go out of their way, but were friendly & polite. Wouldnt stay here again , as i have stayed in much nicer places . Your not getting alot for your money here, better hostels with better facilites in SF for not much price difference.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

It is beautifully located - bang on in the centre with an easy access to all the tourist attractions. It is also very cheap compared to many hotels/hostels I tried to book in San Fran. So, in a way, it is a find. I booked a double room wich looked lovely - like in a 2-3 hotel, not a hostel but a microwave and a fridge were addedd. I did enjoy the room and the location and I do find it a bargain. The hotel itself, however, is quite dated and no cleaning took place during our 4 day stay. The rubbish was left in the room so after a few days I had to ask specifically for someone to take care of it as it could have attracted vermin. The towels got rather dirty too and so did the floor So not too nice. The staff unfortunately wasn't too friendly either. But hey, all in all, I would recommend the place, especially a double room (bigger ones did not look that nice but they were much cheaper!). Even though it is a bit dated, it could be part of its charm.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

I stayed at the Amsterdam Hostel in San Francisco for 2 whole weeks in June. I travelled alone but the hostel was a great place to meet other young travellers ..

I booked a 6 bed room and I shared it with Asians, Americans, Germans, etc. They had bunk beds and small lockers - there wasn't much space so I had to put my suitcase under my bed which made me feel a bit uncomfortable since there were so many people/strangers in one room. The bathroom was quite nice - a toilet and a bathtub were in there but there was still enough room ... Breakfast at the hostel wasn't that good - they only offered pancakes, coffee, tea and water, but there were lots of shops around to get fresh fruit or toast or something else :)
There was a tv room with a few seats, you had to be fast to get one, using internet at the hostel wasn't cheap and it was very slow.
I booked a tour to the Yosemite National Park (which I can recommend to everyone!!) and the receptionists were so kind to call the company and arrange a date and a pick-up time.

The Hostel is near Union Square and you can reach all kind of shops and malls in about 10 minutes and on Sutter Street you can find a really great diner with all the typical american burgers, fries, milkshakes, etc- you HAVE to try it out!
I walked a lot, went to Lombard Street, to the Pier 39, downtown and I went on a tour to Alcatraz which was a lot of fun! I also went to the Golden Gate Park and the Japanese Tea Garden - amazing and so beautiful!! There are lots of second-hand shops with great offers :) go and see for yourself!

All in all I can recommend the Amsterdam Hostel - its cheap, clean and situated in a quite location.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Nottingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

Stayed in this hostel for 3 nights - Fri/Sat/Sun - with 3 friends. We had a private 4 bed room with en suite. Room was on lower ground floor, so was really dark & dingy. Also had the room next to the kitchen, so our room stunk of whatever people were cooking. It also faced out onto the patio so we couldn't open the curtains, which made the room dark all the time. Not sure if rooms that were on the upper floors would have been better - I'm guessing they would have been a bit more light/airy! Decor is dated, as is furniture. Free Wifi, but it didn't work inside the room - again this might have been the poor location of our particular room.

Brilliant location though - about 5 minute walk/2 blocks across from Union Square. Just make sure you don't walk in the opposite direction to Union Square - gets quite dodgy quite quickly! Quite a few bars/cafes very close to the hostel. Also a lot of students - the hostel is in the same area as a lot of the halls for the Academy of Art University.

We drove to San Francisco, and the hostel has links with a garage about 2 blocks across where you can park for $14 a day. This was convenient as it meant we didn't have to drive around for ages to find somewhere to park.

This was an ideal location for our first trip to San Francisco, and suited our limited budget, but next time I go, I will definately spend the money to upgrade to a motel/hotel - will not be staying here again!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

You get what you pay for and for the £17 a night I paid for this hostel it was def worth the money. Me and 3 friends booked a 4 bed dorm so we didnt share with any other travellers, the room was huge, plenty of space, nice big bathroom with shower, bath, two sinks, toilets. 24 hour reception, key coded door so felt secure. computers available, discount parking offered by the hostel which was great and saved us a lot of money and just round the corner! great location close to union square and the cable cars location, walking distance to China town and bars/restaurants. seemed clean to me, no room clean though in 4 nights! free breakfast but we never actually had any!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
L.A.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

My friends and I stayed at this hostel for the week end last october, and what can I say the hotel is nasty but thats exactly what I expected so no surprises.The rooms are tiny, the toilet did clog and overflow. on the postive side there were some great people and the waffles for breakfast were great. One annoying thing is that the parking lot is located on another street so it was hassel but we made it. Great stay and Great trip overall.

Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends

Been to AAE Amsterdam San Francisco? Share your experiences!