“Good value for money!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Amsterdam Hostel

You added Amsterdam Hostel to your Saves list
Amsterdam Hostel
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   749 Taylor Street, San Francisco, CA 94108 (Formerly AAE Amsterdam San Francisco)   |
Ranked #35 of 77 San Francisco B&B and Inns
England
“Good value for money!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

You get what you pay for and for the £17 a night I paid for this hostel it was def worth the money. Me and 3 friends booked a 4 bed dorm so we didnt share with any other travellers, the room was huge, plenty of space, nice big bathroom with shower, bath, two sinks, toilets. 24 hour reception, key coded door so felt secure. computers available, discount parking offered by the hostel which was great and saved us a lot of money and just round the corner! great location close to union square and the cable cars location, walking distance to China town and bars/restaurants. seemed clean to me, no room clean though in 4 nights! free breakfast but we never actually had any!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

L.A.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

My friends and I stayed at this hostel for the week end last october, and what can I say the hotel is nasty but thats exactly what I expected so no surprises.The rooms are tiny, the toilet did clog and overflow. on the postive side there were some great people and the waffles for breakfast were great. One annoying thing is that the parking lot is located on another street so it was hassel but we made it. Great stay and Great trip overall.

Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Bangkok
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

I'm quite impress with the reception area, staffs are nice and very helpful. However, we stayed there for 3 nights and it seemed that noone came to clean our rooms !

The in-room toilet is ok but the tab is leaking so u can hear the water dropping all night.
I don't know if other hostel use this furry, itchy blanket or not but i can't stand to tucking myself into that blanket even when the temperature is 10C'

However, if you are not concerned much with the sanitary then this hostel might be a good choice coz the room is using double locked key which made it hard for anyone to break in.

The hostel is like 4-5 blocks from the downtown, it might not suitable for those who have knee problems. For me, I'm not used to climbing up that high to the hostel, i was experiencing short of breathe, however, after 1-2 days, my body got used to that.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Stgo. Chile
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

We stayed for just three nights but I've got to tell you that was not what we expected. A lot of noise from ceiling, the stairs, the hallway, everywhere! Also breakfast was a "make yourself" waffles, terrible! The rooms had a poor overall condition. The location was the only good thing, I would try another place...

• Stayed February 2009
6 Thank Granfario

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Boulder
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2008

I didint mind that the place was dirty. I didnt mind the need to cram as much people possible into a room. I didnt mind that I when I was trying to cancel my last night of the trip two days in advance every person behind the front desk for two days said "You have to talk to so and so who is not here until saturday". When I finally found that person they said: "oh sorry you have to cancel 48hrs in advance"!!
All this I could live with, what is unnacceptable were all the bedbugs!! Im still itching and freaking out that I might have brought some back to my house!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — bed bugs!!!!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank Poyuki
Perth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2008

We stayed at Amsterdam Hostel for 3 nights in October. Our plane was delayed by a couple of hours so the time we had given the hostel was no longer correct. This meant that when we arrived there was no-one at the front desk. We had to sit outside with our luggage and wait for them to return because other guests are not allowed to let anyone in.

When we arrived we checked in with no problem. I had changed my booking to add an extra night and they had this on record so I was quite impressed. We wanted to split the bill but were told we could only do this if we were paying cash, so I had to ask my friend to pay since I didn't want my account to be devastated by the full cost of our stay due to a poor exchange rate. We also had to pay a $20 cash deposit for the key.

The hostel only had stairs, and we were staying downstairs in a private 2 bed room with ensuite. Our room had a door which opened up to an outside balcony. Only problem with this was the noise when people were out there and the smell of smoke wafting into the room. They close the outside area at 10:30 so it would usually quieten down by this time. The walls were quite thin so if anyone was talking outside in the hallway or in the TV room we would be kept awake. If you stay here bring earplugs!

Our room had a bunk bed and we were responsible for getting our own bedding from upstairs and making the bed. You'd think that for the private rooms they could at least have this done already since we pay so much extra! The pillows were old and I had to fold it in half to make it useable. The mattress wasn't the most comfortable.

Our bathroom was clean enough. The shower was lovely and always had hot water when I needed it.

The room itself was quite dirty. The people responsible for cleaning should pay more attention to detail. There is dust lining the skirting boards and where the carpet joins the wall. There was mould growing in one corner of the room that looked like it had been ignored. The room needed a deep clean.

Breakfast was DIY waffles, tea and coffee. Waffles would have been nice, but we couldn't be bothered lining up for 20 minutes to make one. There was only one waffle maker and there were about 5 people in front of me. It takes about 5 minutes to make a waffle so I would have been waiting just under half an hour. Quicker to go somewhere else and pay for breakfast.

It wasn't really that cheap considering what we got, but I've heard San Fran is like that. I'd shop around a bit before deciding Amsterdam is for you. I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dirty, noisy and overpriced
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank ButterflyEffect
carrot79
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

We stayed two nights at the Amsterdam in a private room, and it was a mixed experience. First, the good: it's reasonably well located, and the prices are okay. There are three computers with internet access for guests, though you usually have to wait for a computer to free up. The room was clean enough and the bathroom fully functional. The staff was nice enough and answered our questions.

Then the bad: the door frame to our room was broken, so there was a half-inch wide opening for people to peer into the room through. Since it's a hostel, the place is loud, even long into the night and early in the mornings. The walls are paper-thin, so you hear everything. There was parking, a block and a half up the street, for $14/day for guests.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple