“Stay at the Green Tortoise” 2 of 5 stars

AAE Amsterdam San Francisco
749 Taylor Street, San Francisco, CA 941098 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #34 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Stay at the Green Tortoise”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The one good thing about this hostel is the location, but even that isn't great. The reception staff weren't very helpful and one day I walked down to hear a screaming match between 2 staff members. Amsterdam offers 3 night time activities, a Bar Crawl on a Wednesday, Beer Olympics on a Friday and Awesome Foursome on the Sunday, but the staff members are clueless about the events in which they advertise. I went to the events on both the Friday and Sunday and loved both events. If you're wanting to stay in a hostel with a lively and friendly atmosphere then don't stay here, stay at the Green Tortoise, they have events on every day and night, and they really encourage people to socialize.

Another complaint is the fact that I booked a four bed dorm, and one day I went out to return to a mattress in the middle of my room and another person staying there. It would have been nice is the staff had actually told me about this.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Turkish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed here for one night in August, and while I was grateful for a room (SF was packed with tourists) I was less than impressed by the quality of this place.

I stayed in a 4 bed mixed dorm with ensuite bathroom. The bathroom didn't have a hand towel, hand dryer or paper towels. The beds were extremely creaky and one of my roommates just about fell off the unsecured ladder to the top bunk. There was a very thick layer of dust on the carpet by the walls - a surprise that the cleaners had not noticed this at all!

My room was on the 3rd floor - if you're not interested in traipsing up and down the stairs, ask for something on the lower floors as there is no elevator. Keep in mind if you have lots of bags.

The kitchen is very small considering the size of the hostel, and there is not much dining space. The free wifi is dodgy at best - I went to Starbucks to deal with any important matters over the internet as it was far more reliable.

This is one of the cheaper places in SF, but if you're willing to sleep in a 6 or 8 sleeper dorm instead you would do well to look elsewhere. Indeed, the walls were so thin that you may as well have been sharing with the rooms either side of you. I stayed in a couple other hostels in SF on the same trip and would return to these before coming back to the Amsterdam. Manageable for a night before I caught my plane, but I wouldn't want to stay for longer.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Delfgauw, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

When we arrived, we heard that we had the room next to the kitchen. I instantly thought: "Room next to the kitchen? Well that's got to be a dumb move". And what I was anxious for, actually happened... due to activity the next morning in the kitchen, I woke up at 7am. When I went to the reception to ask if something could be done about it, they told me that it was impossible to hear the noise in the kitchen. AWFUL service, in the room we got the top bunk...
Ladders to the top bunk? Watch out! Don't break your neck!
Then the shower... No consecutive temperature and a weird kind of waterpressure. Two mandatory things to have a pleasant shower.
Location was pretty good. Close to downtown. That's the only positive thing in my entire experience.
No return for me to this hostel!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Myself and my girlfriend booked ourselves in this hostel a couple of months before arriving, we read the reviews and they weren't great so we didn't expect much, we booked it on the location and price over everything. When we arrived at the hostel, it's located on one of the steep banks, luckily we didn't have to walk it with our big bags! We arrived and they had overbooked so we were in a temporary room for the first night which is always a pain because you have to waste a morning checking out and checking back in, also their luggage room was tiny and lots of people had already left their stuff there so it was a struggle to fit our stuff in and when we returned later they had been thrown about!!! The rooms are ok but the beds are really squeaky and you almost wake the whole room up just by the slightest movement! En-suite bathrooms are good and kept clean but the showers are not good as they only seem to have hot or cold and no in between. The staff are friendly and helpful and offer discounts for popular tourist things around San Francisco which is very helpful! The breakfast is very annoying as you have to make your own pancakes and a lot of guests really take the mic with this and will create a tower of pancakes which takes forever and causes a very long queue waiting to make their own!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We were two girls and we spent one night there.
The room was pretty big, clean and with private bathroom. The staff was friendly and so the people we met there! The breakfast is pancakes (you have to cook them!) coffee and jam and it was good! I'd like go there again =)
The pillow wasn't very comfortable...but i was too tired to care about it!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I stayed in a clean dorm with 4 beds and own bathroom. It takes you a while to figure out how the shower works. There is wifi in the room. The staff is very friendly. The location, close to Union Square is good. Don't expect too much of the breakfast, it's coffee, a bucket of pancakemix and jam. You can use the kitchen to make dinner and eat outside on the courtyard.

• Stayed July 2014

Been to AAE Amsterdam San Francisco? Share your experiences!