“Below Average 3 Night Stay” 2 of 5 stars

AAE Amsterdam San Francisco
749 Taylor Street, San Francisco, CA 941098 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #36 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Perth
“Below Average 3 Night Stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2008

We stayed at Amsterdam Hostel for 3 nights in October. Our plane was delayed by a couple of hours so the time we had given the hostel was no longer correct. This meant that when we arrived there was no-one at the front desk. We had to sit outside with our luggage and wait for them to return because other guests are not allowed to let anyone in.

When we arrived we checked in with no problem. I had changed my booking to add an extra night and they had this on record so I was quite impressed. We wanted to split the bill but were told we could only do this if we were paying cash, so I had to ask my friend to pay since I didn't want my account to be devastated by the full cost of our stay due to a poor exchange rate. We also had to pay a $20 cash deposit for the key.

The hostel only had stairs, and we were staying downstairs in a private 2 bed room with ensuite. Our room had a door which opened up to an outside balcony. Only problem with this was the noise when people were out there and the smell of smoke wafting into the room. They close the outside area at 10:30 so it would usually quieten down by this time. The walls were quite thin so if anyone was talking outside in the hallway or in the TV room we would be kept awake. If you stay here bring earplugs!

Our room had a bunk bed and we were responsible for getting our own bedding from upstairs and making the bed. You'd think that for the private rooms they could at least have this done already since we pay so much extra! The pillows were old and I had to fold it in half to make it useable. The mattress wasn't the most comfortable.

Our bathroom was clean enough. The shower was lovely and always had hot water when I needed it.

The room itself was quite dirty. The people responsible for cleaning should pay more attention to detail. There is dust lining the skirting boards and where the carpet joins the wall. There was mould growing in one corner of the room that looked like it had been ignored. The room needed a deep clean.

Breakfast was DIY waffles, tea and coffee. Waffles would have been nice, but we couldn't be bothered lining up for 20 minutes to make one. There was only one waffle maker and there were about 5 people in front of me. It takes about 5 minutes to make a waffle so I would have been waiting just under half an hour. Quicker to go somewhere else and pay for breakfast.

It wasn't really that cheap considering what we got, but I've heard San Fran is like that. I'd shop around a bit before deciding Amsterdam is for you. I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dirty, noisy and overpriced
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Turkish first
carrot79
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

We stayed two nights at the Amsterdam in a private room, and it was a mixed experience. First, the good: it's reasonably well located, and the prices are okay. There are three computers with internet access for guests, though you usually have to wait for a computer to free up. The room was clean enough and the bathroom fully functional. The staff was nice enough and answered our questions.

Then the bad: the door frame to our room was broken, so there was a half-inch wide opening for people to peer into the room through. Since it's a hostel, the place is loud, even long into the night and early in the mornings. The walls are paper-thin, so you hear everything. There was parking, a block and a half up the street, for $14/day for guests.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2008

My son and I stay at the Amsterdam Hostel in June 07. We had no trouble finding the hostel via the directions given. When we arrived we had a nice young lady greet us and gave us the key. Because I was traveling with my son I booked a mixed dorm room after I was advised that this room was set aside for families or friends traveling together but NOT couples. If I had of known the truth I would not have stayed there. We were put in a room with 4 other guys. No one was traveling together and the guys advised me that they were told is was a male dorm room. I suspect they were overbooked and ended up putting us where we fitted. Not the sort of service I expected when I had prepaid 4 months in advance. They cant say they didnt have notice. 3 british guys were nice, but the German guy kept trying to screw his girlfriend in the bed beside us..(didnt happen thanks to me)
The rooms were ok, not that clean and the bunk beds were seriously old. The mattresses were lovely and comfy. Sheets were clean however the blankets were dirty. The bathroom ensuite was clean and had a nice big bath. We were located on the top floor and I didnt mind the stairs however if you dont like stairs dont stay here. The hotel has got abit of history and I found the character lovely. Such a shame the owners didnt have friendly managers. The free breakfast was good, self made waffles and syrup and the kitchen area was ok. They lock the kitchen rather early so that pretty much stops you getting in and having a snack late in the evening, I suppose this is to avoid noise for the room above. I found all of the staff to be rather useless with assistance regarding public transport. I could have had a bad batch of staff but I asked 3 different people and they couldnt tell me what bus's to catch to get to around.
Free internet was good however no one monitors the internet hogs, regardless of signs and a wait is guaranteed.
Would I stay here again.. no but thats because they didnt give me the room I requested and when I tried to explain this to the manager he was rude and fobbed me off. I didnt take anything further because we only stayed here 2 nights. The location is good and you cant argue with price. For $20 each we got a bed, breakfast and free internet..... If you are happy with basics and dont mind rude staff then you cant beat this place for the price.

• Liked — Free waffles
  • Disliked — The manager
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

I would not recommend staying at the Amsterdam hostel.
When I arrived, the clerk at the front told me that they would only accept cash. I could only use my credit card if it was over $50.

The website that I booked my stay on, never mentioned this, instead, the website stated that payment was due upon arrival, and the credit card that I made my reservation with, should be provided. Well, I only had $15 in US currency on me and my bank was closed. Be sure to have at least $10 cash on hand, since a deposit is required for the key.

Then the clerk told me I could stay a 2nd night for 24$ but I would have to move into a 6 bedroom dorm instead of the 4 bedroom dorm I booked online. I booked 21$ online for the 1st night in a 4 bedroom dorm and the rate online for a 6 bedroom dorm was $19/night. If I booked 2 nights for a total of $48, he would allow me to use my credit card.

The first room was okay, dingy but at least the bathroom was clean. The 2nd night I had to move to another room. The 2nd room I stayed in had black mold in the bathroom and a lot of dust. I set up my bed and someone took my linen when I went out. When I asked for new sheets, the cleaning lady said she had none, only blankets.

I really felt taken advantaged of. I paid without arguing, but I will definately not recommend this place to others b/c I don't feel that the people who run it are honest. I found a hotel for $49/night on hotwire, and it was soooo much better. Complimentary breakfast with milk & juice! Hooray! My friend and I split the cost, so it ended being the same price as the hostel.

Stayed November 2007

Been to AAE Amsterdam San Francisco? Share your experiences!