“Great budget stay” 4 of 5 stars

749 Taylor Street, San Francisco, CA 941098 (Downtown)   |
Manchester, UK
“Great budget stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights last weekend. No issues. Clean bedding, very clean bathroom and friendly staff. Didn't go for breakfast, but wi-fi was good.
I was literally only in the room to sleep and shower, as was out exploring San Fran, but for me was delighted with paying $35 a night to do so!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Turkish first
Rotherham, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Now I'm not snobby, nor am I a stranger to hostels. Hostels are normally great, clean, social places where fun can happen. Not at the Amsterdam Hostel.

When we arrived for check in at 3pm we were told that there were no sheets for our bedding available until 5. This annoyed us because we'd been awake since 3am that morning for a flight and all we wanted to do was sleep. When we got to our room the mattress' were covered in what I can only describe as pubic hair and everything else was covered in dust. The curtains did not close, not even a little bit, so every morning we were awake before 6am. Fun.

Not only was the Amsterdam hostel thoroughly unclean, it was also terrible for social events. At all the other hostels we stayed at we met some amazing people and had some amazing nights arranged by the hostel.There were a few arranged at this hostel, but the rude staff put people off joining up for them.

Do not stay here. San Francisco is a beautiful city and you shouldn't ruin your stay by staying here. Find somewhere else!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Fabulous hostel with some lovely architectural features inside. The hostel was very clean and nicely decorated. The beds were clean (as were the pillows which smelt very fresh - a pleasant change from other hostels). The staff were always very happy to help with all those touristy queries and in addition you got a free pancake breakfast with coffee or tea too! Great Hostel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Very great location. I was impressed of how kind the staff is and all the facilities we can find. Theres free wi-fi, free breakfast, tea and coffee all day long. The rooms are very confortable and with private restrooms. Good place to stay in San Francisco. Just don't walk there with a heavy suitcase, because, as many places in SF it's located in a hill.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for private rooms with bathrooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

"Average" might be a little too nice actually, but I would say that for the price and location, the conditions are accurate. Definitely just a place to rest your head and shower. Personally I didn't care to spend much time in the hostel which lead me to spending a lot of my spare time in cafes and bars. Considering the cost of spending my spare time in the cafes and bars, it probably would have been worth it to pay more for a nicer hostel where I wouldn't have minded hanging out in my spare time. The beds were ok. The employees were ok. Location is good. Price is fair for the "well worn" conditions.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This has to be the worst hostel I've stayed in during my 3month trip. I was there for 5 nights. First impressions was not great, I was served quick and efficiently however I didn't feel like I was getting his full attention and when asked about tours available he wasn't that helpful. I have noticed other members have also been asked to wait whilst they do other things, in my opinion customer service comes first. If you like the smell of weed then you are in the right place as that is all you can smell throughout the hostel. My room it's self wasn't great, I was In a 6 bedded dorm that I felt was very small and I couldn't leave my luggage by my bed, this isn't just the hostels fault though as if my other roommates didnt have there stuff everywhere it would be easier to store my suitcase. If you have a top bunk they are very had to get into as they don't have bars you have to either use a chair or climb on other people beds, and they also don't have bars on the bunks which I found quite hazardous. The hostel also doesn't have a pay phone which I found quite frustrating. You are provided breakfast however you have to make this yourself as you are just given batter for the pancakes. The beds themselves were clean and comfortable and your room was cleaned each day but the cleaners. I found it frustrating as well that you have to wait until 5pm until you can use the washing machines and dryers. The location is very good though as you are only a few minutes away from places. The decor was quite old and looks asthough some of it needs a revamp.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in A private room for 8 nights, and had a great stay. The hotel is close to downtown, we walked to the harbour, fishermans warf and haight, you Can also take the metro (buy a metrocard!). The rooms Are nice, with TV, microwave and a fridge. They did not clean our room and we did not Get new towels - we did not ask for Any, so maybe that is our fault.
The staff is friendly but they wasn't very helpful, we asked them Which bus we should take to the Golden gate bridge, and Got told that we could Google it. But afterall A Nice stay, and we Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to AAE Amsterdam San Francisco? Share your experiences!