“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Very great location. I was impressed of how kind the staff is and all the facilities we can find. Theres free wi-fi, free breakfast, tea and coffee all day long. The rooms are very confortable and with private restrooms. Good place to stay in San Francisco. Just don't walk there with a heavy suitcase, because, as many places in SF it's located in a hill.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for private rooms with bathrooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

"Average" might be a little too nice actually, but I would say that for the price and location, the conditions are accurate. Definitely just a place to rest your head and shower. Personally I didn't care to spend much time in the hostel which lead me to spending a lot of my spare time in cafes and bars. Considering the cost of spending my spare time in the cafes and bars, it probably would have been worth it to pay more for a nicer hostel where I wouldn't have minded hanging out in my spare time. The beds were ok. The employees were ok. Location is good. Price is fair for the "well worn" conditions.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This has to be the worst hostel I've stayed in during my 3month trip. I was there for 5 nights. First impressions was not great, I was served quick and efficiently however I didn't feel like I was getting his full attention and when asked about tours available he wasn't that helpful. I have noticed other members have also been asked to wait whilst they do other things, in my opinion customer service comes first. If you like the smell of weed then you are in the right place as that is all you can smell throughout the hostel. My room it's self wasn't great, I was In a 6 bedded dorm that I felt was very small and I couldn't leave my luggage by my bed, this isn't just the hostels fault though as if my other roommates didnt have there stuff everywhere it would be easier to store my suitcase. If you have a top bunk they are very had to get into as they don't have bars you have to either use a chair or climb on other people beds, and they also don't have bars on the bunks which I found quite hazardous. The hostel also doesn't have a pay phone which I found quite frustrating. You are provided breakfast however you have to make this yourself as you are just given batter for the pancakes. The beds themselves were clean and comfortable and your room was cleaned each day but the cleaners. I found it frustrating as well that you have to wait until 5pm until you can use the washing machines and dryers. The location is very good though as you are only a few minutes away from places. The decor was quite old and looks asthough some of it needs a revamp.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in A private room for 8 nights, and had a great stay. The hotel is close to downtown, we walked to the harbour, fishermans warf and haight, you Can also take the metro (buy a metrocard!). The rooms Are nice, with TV, microwave and a fridge. They did not clean our room and we did not Get new towels - we did not ask for Any, so maybe that is our fault.
The staff is friendly but they wasn't very helpful, we asked them Which bus we should take to the Golden gate bridge, and Got told that we could Google it. But afterall A Nice stay, and we Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
Portsmouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I spent my summer travelling around many cities in America and stayed in many hostels. This was not one of the better ones. It was cheap, my 2 sisters and I secured a private room with an ensuite for a couple of nights during our visit to San Francisco.
The area was convenient not too far from the BART station, however we didn't feel completely secure in walking around the area at night. San Francisco has alot of homeless people and there are a few in this area. Only one or two blocks over you can see the area get worse.
The service of the reception was not welcoming at all. In fact we were about half hour behind in arriving at the time we said and I had a telephone call from the hostel looking to give our room away!! I informed them we were on the train and assured them we would be arriving which i did not appreciate.

Dont be fooled by the 'all you can eat' waffle breakfast (if this is still offered) because what they mean by this is a kitchen with bowls of batter and a long queue of other residents. I decided I did not want to queue for this.
I didnt feel this was a very social hostel there was a social room but it was not very welcoming either.

Overall the hostel was acceptable, the room was secure and nice to have an ensuite for a low budget hostel as this one. If you are looking for a room and a bed I would reccomend this. Very close to public transport and if I were on a low budget again, I would stay at this hostel.

However saying that I plan to visit back to San Francisco this year and have decided to stay elsewhere for only a few pounds more.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This hostel could do with some updating but it was good on the whole and fitted our needs; fairly central location, simple but clean dorm rooms/bathrooms, and free internet. The kitchen wasn't great and could definitely do with being modernised. Can't complain about the free pancakes every morning though!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

AAE Amsterdam is in a really central location to access all areas of San Francisco.
The rooms were clean and staff were friendly, however it looks a but tired and in need of updating. The breakfast and kitchen facilities were poor. Sold as 'all you can eat pancakes', when really there is just a bag of powdered pancake mix for you to cook for yourself.
However, if you are planning to be out and about exploring the city, AAE Amsterdam is the ideal stay. Perfect for a place to stay but would advise budgeting for catering for yourself and not relying on stocking up on pancakes!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to AAE Amsterdam San Francisco? Share your experiences!