“If you need a room and a bed....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Amsterdam Hostel

You added Amsterdam Hostel to your Saves list
Amsterdam Hostel
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   749 Taylor Street, San Francisco, CA 94108 (Formerly AAE Amsterdam San Francisco)   |
Ranked #35 of 73 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Portsmouth
“If you need a room and a bed....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I spent my summer travelling around many cities in America and stayed in many hostels. This was not one of the better ones. It was cheap, my 2 sisters and I secured a private room with an ensuite for a couple of nights during our visit to San Francisco.
The area was convenient not too far from the BART station, however we didn't feel completely secure in walking around the area at night. San Francisco has alot of homeless people and there are a few in this area. Only one or two blocks over you can see the area get worse.
The service of the reception was not welcoming at all. In fact we were about half hour behind in arriving at the time we said and I had a telephone call from the hostel looking to give our room away!! I informed them we were on the train and assured them we would be arriving which i did not appreciate.

Dont be fooled by the 'all you can eat' waffle breakfast (if this is still offered) because what they mean by this is a kitchen with bowls of batter and a long queue of other residents. I decided I did not want to queue for this.
I didnt feel this was a very social hostel there was a social room but it was not very welcoming either.

Overall the hostel was acceptable, the room was secure and nice to have an ensuite for a low budget hostel as this one. If you are looking for a room and a bed I would reccomend this. Very close to public transport and if I were on a low budget again, I would stay at this hostel.

However saying that I plan to visit back to San Francisco this year and have decided to stay elsewhere for only a few pounds more.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This hostel could do with some updating but it was good on the whole and fitted our needs; fairly central location, simple but clean dorm rooms/bathrooms, and free internet. The kitchen wasn't great and could definitely do with being modernised. Can't complain about the free pancakes every morning though!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

AAE Amsterdam is in a really central location to access all areas of San Francisco.
The rooms were clean and staff were friendly, however it looks a but tired and in need of updating. The breakfast and kitchen facilities were poor. Sold as 'all you can eat pancakes', when really there is just a bag of powdered pancake mix for you to cook for yourself.
However, if you are planning to be out and about exploring the city, AAE Amsterdam is the ideal stay. Perfect for a place to stay but would advise budgeting for catering for yourself and not relying on stocking up on pancakes!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I must complain about the terrible service. The two guys at the counter were simply rude and acted as though we owed them a living. I was very disgusted by their attitude towards customers. Once, I came to the counter and suddenly the phone rang and the guy picked up the phone and talked for 5 minutes while I just stood there waiting for him to end his conversation with his friend over the phone. When he finally finished his phone call, he told me to wait for another 10 minutes at the lounge, when all I wanted to do was check in after a long tiring day. Absolutely appalling.

Luckily I was not charged for any extraneous charges for no reason, the $10 deposit was returned to me upon checkout. However when making payment they demanded that I paid with cash, which is something they failed to warn me about. I didn't carry much cash with me and i wasn't very happy with this.

Room cleanliness was decent, bedsheets were clean, toilet was less clean than I would have liked. General corridors weren't as clean, I had a feeling the carpets have never been vacuumed or cleaned since forever :/ Location of hostel was not too bad, quite near to Market Street and Metro stations.

Good thing though, there was free wifi throughout the hostel and it didn't give me any problems during my one-night stay. And at the counter, I took a brochure for bike rentals that entitled me to a discounted rate because I was staying at Amsterdam, so that's good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Penang Island, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed there for 4 days. Prepare for a hike up to the hostel, as the whole of San Francisco is very hilly. The staff who attended to us during check in was pretty rude but the one on night shift was really friendly.
There's free map provided, cosy lounge area, free breakfast (but it's only coffee and pancakes which you have to make on your own and be stuffed with a gazillion other people in a tiny, oily kitchen). Location wise, it is walking distance to union square and close to a lot of shops.
The room looked a little run down and dirty and the room we were in had a faulty heater.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

The worst hostel ever!

They are making a huge effort to be the worst hostel in SF!

Geez, at the first sight, they basically steal my money! Yeah, you've not read wrong, they had charged me 20 bucks more to cover the "hostelworld" tax!! they didn't say anything when you book on line, they simply will charge you when you get there!

The room is very, very simple and old fashionable. The bed sheets were clean but that smelled like my grandmother's house...

There's one superlazy guy at the reception, the others are very friendly and hard-workers.

The location is nice, close to good bars and night clubs, not that far from downtown.

Sorry, but I wouldn't reccomend this hostel since they can create new fees for the costumers.

Hope this review helps you all!

Thanks

• Stayed March 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

The breakfast includes only pancakes and coffee. You have to make the pancakes on your own, which is very annoying, because there are only two pans that you can use and all other guests also want to have pancakes. So, you have to stand in line and wait until it is your turn and you can have pancakes. After 2 days we had enough of pancakes. You just can't eat every morning only pancakes. Nevertheless, you can use the kitchen. But it closes at 10pm (22:00). We had a room right next to the kitchen. Therefore, we could sleep only until 7am, because then the kitchen opens and we could hear every word the guests in the kitchen said. The only advantage is that the hostel is very downtown and close to the shops. There are also 3 computers with internet connection which you can use for free. If you want to print something, we had to pay 50 cents for one page.

• Stayed February 2013