“Terrible service, room was below average” 2 of 5 stars

AAE Amsterdam San Francisco
749 Taylor Street, San Francisco, CA 941098 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #41 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Terrible service, room was below average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I must complain about the terrible service. The two guys at the counter were simply rude and acted as though we owed them a living. I was very disgusted by their attitude towards customers. Once, I came to the counter and suddenly the phone rang and the guy picked up the phone and talked for 5 minutes while I just stood there waiting for him to end his conversation with his friend over the phone. When he finally finished his phone call, he told me to wait for another 10 minutes at the lounge, when all I wanted to do was check in after a long tiring day. Absolutely appalling.

Luckily I was not charged for any extraneous charges for no reason, the $10 deposit was returned to me upon checkout. However when making payment they demanded that I paid with cash, which is something they failed to warn me about. I didn't carry much cash with me and i wasn't very happy with this.

Room cleanliness was decent, bedsheets were clean, toilet was less clean than I would have liked. General corridors weren't as clean, I had a feeling the carpets have never been vacuumed or cleaned since forever :/ Location of hostel was not too bad, quite near to Market Street and Metro stations.

Good thing though, there was free wifi throughout the hostel and it didn't give me any problems during my one-night stay. And at the counter, I took a brochure for bike rentals that entitled me to a discounted rate because I was staying at Amsterdam, so that's good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

98 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Turkish first
Penang Island, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed there for 4 days. Prepare for a hike up to the hostel, as the whole of San Francisco is very hilly. The staff who attended to us during check in was pretty rude but the one on night shift was really friendly.
There's free map provided, cosy lounge area, free breakfast (but it's only coffee and pancakes which you have to make on your own and be stuffed with a gazillion other people in a tiny, oily kitchen). Location wise, it is walking distance to union square and close to a lot of shops.
The room looked a little run down and dirty and the room we were in had a faulty heater.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The worst hostel ever!

They are making a huge effort to be the worst hostel in SF!

Geez, at the first sight, they basically steal my money! Yeah, you've not read wrong, they had charged me 20 bucks more to cover the "hostelworld" tax!! they didn't say anything when you book on line, they simply will charge you when you get there!

The room is very, very simple and old fashionable. The bed sheets were clean but that smelled like my grandmother's house...

There's one superlazy guy at the reception, the others are very friendly and hard-workers.

The location is nice, close to good bars and night clubs, not that far from downtown.

Sorry, but I wouldn't reccomend this hostel since they can create new fees for the costumers.

Hope this review helps you all!

Thanks

• Stayed March 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The breakfast includes only pancakes and coffee. You have to make the pancakes on your own, which is very annoying, because there are only two pans that you can use and all other guests also want to have pancakes. So, you have to stand in line and wait until it is your turn and you can have pancakes. After 2 days we had enough of pancakes. You just can't eat every morning only pancakes. Nevertheless, you can use the kitchen. But it closes at 10pm (22:00). We had a room right next to the kitchen. Therefore, we could sleep only until 7am, because then the kitchen opens and we could hear every word the guests in the kitchen said. The only advantage is that the hostel is very downtown and close to the shops. There are also 3 computers with internet connection which you can use for free. If you want to print something, we had to pay 50 cents for one page.

• Stayed February 2013
Bellinzona, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hostel is very basic, the furnishings is very old and a bit dirty..
what can i say?
that the location is nice.. breakfast was basic.. but it's free!
the hostel bot great, but not terrible... the staff were kindly!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

So I had read a few kind of moderate to not so pleasant things about the Amsterdam. However I do typically take places with those kind of reviews with a grain of salt. People can be pretty hard to please, I suppose.

I came in, and I was pretty happy with the modest decor. It didn't smell like B.O, or urine as some people have claimed, and in the week that I've been here it's never had an offensive odor.

The beds themselves...I mean, it's a hostel. For 21-23 dollars, are you really expecting a tempurpedic? It is a pain that there is no ladder or anything to assist you in getting to the top bunk. If anything, that's been my only complaint. The front desk seems to always be willing to assist anyone with questions. The owner seems a bit more on edge, but it's his business, so c'mon, he's not going to be overtly aloof.

The other guests are amazing, outgoing and filled to the brim with great conversation.

I can't give my recommendation to this place highly enough. The rooms are cleaned daily.

In fact, theres the other complaint I have. They use a very loud Oreck, and it's constantly in use from morning until maybe about fiveish. It's annoying, loud, and often.

Give the Amsterdam a shot. It's walking distance to many, many things. And what it isn't, you can easily catch Bart, or public transport of some means. Have fun!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed here in September 2012. I paid a bit extra ($125 per night incl tax) for double room to myself with my own bathroom in the room. The room was old fashioned and not pretty but it was clean. The bed was fine. My room was under downstairs and near the stairs so i could hear people moving around the hostel but it wasn't too noisy.

The location is ok, its not in the ghetto but you're never too far from one in SF. Its about 15 mins walk from Market so its close enough to the crazies but far enough away that you would feel relatively safe in the area at night.

I talked with a few of the staff who were very friendly and helpful. The cleaner wasnt so friendly but i was checking out almost 2 hours late so i was delaying her (Other than the cleaner, nobody seemed to mind that i was checking out so late and i didn't incur any late fee).

All in all, i would go back to this hostel as it was cheap, clean and had friendly staff.

Room Tip: I didn't see the dorms but the private rooms are fine.