“Great place!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado
“Great place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

So I had read a few kind of moderate to not so pleasant things about the Amsterdam. However I do typically take places with those kind of reviews with a grain of salt. People can be pretty hard to please, I suppose.

I came in, and I was pretty happy with the modest decor. It didn't smell like B.O, or urine as some people have claimed, and in the week that I've been here it's never had an offensive odor.

The beds themselves...I mean, it's a hostel. For 21-23 dollars, are you really expecting a tempurpedic? It is a pain that there is no ladder or anything to assist you in getting to the top bunk. If anything, that's been my only complaint. The front desk seems to always be willing to assist anyone with questions. The owner seems a bit more on edge, but it's his business, so c'mon, he's not going to be overtly aloof.

The other guests are amazing, outgoing and filled to the brim with great conversation.

I can't give my recommendation to this place highly enough. The rooms are cleaned daily.

In fact, theres the other complaint I have. They use a very loud Oreck, and it's constantly in use from morning until maybe about fiveish. It's annoying, loud, and often.

Give the Amsterdam a shot. It's walking distance to many, many things. And what it isn't, you can easily catch Bart, or public transport of some means. Have fun!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed here in September 2012. I paid a bit extra ($125 per night incl tax) for double room to myself with my own bathroom in the room. The room was old fashioned and not pretty but it was clean. The bed was fine. My room was under downstairs and near the stairs so i could hear people moving around the hostel but it wasn't too noisy.

The location is ok, its not in the ghetto but you're never too far from one in SF. Its about 15 mins walk from Market so its close enough to the crazies but far enough away that you would feel relatively safe in the area at night.

I talked with a few of the staff who were very friendly and helpful. The cleaner wasnt so friendly but i was checking out almost 2 hours late so i was delaying her (Other than the cleaner, nobody seemed to mind that i was checking out so late and i didn't incur any late fee).

All in all, i would go back to this hostel as it was cheap, clean and had friendly staff.

Room Tip: I didn't see the dorms but the private rooms are fine.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed in a four-bed dorm - the bedroom and attached bathroom were clean. The room wasn't huge, but I didn't have trouble moving around. Big lockers were also provided (without locks) so you can keep your stuff safe. Beds were pretty comfortable, and the room was pretty quiet.

The only slight downside is the make-your-own-pancakes breakfast which meant the queue could get pretty long if you got to the kitchen at the wrong time. That said, the pancakes were pretty decent and you can have as many as you like so it was filling enough.

Location is fantastic - just a short walk away from Union Square, BUT the hostel is located on a pretty steep hill so consider yourself warned if you have tonnes of stuff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Not much to say here really. The room was pretty dirty and the hostel itself smelt like a mixture of urine and cleaning detergent. The breakfast was decent and provided us with a good start to the day. The bedroom was comfortable, albeit dirty. The ensuite bathroom was much better than I thought it would be. The location of the hostel is its most attractive feature - a lot of previous reviews said that the hill was a killer. However, it really wasn't that bad.

All in all, summed up as average. Not great, but not terrible.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

Amsterdam hostel is in a good location - but that is the only positive.

We paid $32 for 3 week nights in a dorm room.

The first night myself and my friend were split into two rooms due to overbooking.

The second night we were not allowed into our room until 2.30p having had to check out at 10am!

Prices appeared to vary depending on who you are. Which was frustrating.

The bunk beds are ridiculously and dangerously high with no ladder and no barriers. You had to practically take a run and jump to get onto one.

The staff are unhelpful.

Don't waste your money. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2012
Eugene, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

1. Customer Service: Okay depending on the gender of the front desk. The female staff is friendly. She welcomes you warmly and replies e-mail quickly. However, the male one is so-so. I would not say that he acts aloof. But definitely he doesn't seem as friendly as the female one. Sort of like, whatever-attitude.
2. Room condition: My boyfriend and I live in a private room. It is really small and basically is clean. At least I didn't see any bedbugs. The furniture is really old. They only provide face soap, a small bag of shampoo and a small bag of body lotion. So we have to shop the shampoo and body wash as well as toothbrush/toothpaste in downtown. Well, they do have the hair dryer inside the room, and shared laundry facilities downstairs.
3. Location: Not too bad. It is located on Nob Hill and close to Downtown. You can take the Bart/subway(not the food store :D ) to the Powell Station and then have around 15 minutes walking to the hostel. If you wanna walk from there to Chinatown, or walk from Chinatown back to the hostel, I would say good luck. To me, the downhill path is really steep.
4. Transportation: the buses are mostly likely concentrated on the downtown.
5. Atmosphere: Well, it is quiet. But the road is really dirty. And, from my small window view, all garbage out there.
6. Food Around: One Chinese restaurant which should not call itself Chinese restaurant, one subway, one pizza place. Not many choices. But since it is a decent walking distance between the hostel and downtown, you can go to downtown for the food.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Disgusting! Went to my twin room in the bowels of the building for a privilege of $85 per night, paid in advance with no opportunity to view. Two single hospital beds awaited me, furniture from the dumpster, a red facecloth and a kids beach towel. My view in the small window was a pile of mattresses left outside. I then went to Starbucks, sat and contemplated and for safety, security and peace of mind, decided to forgo what I'd paid and book somewhere else. For the $25 dollars more I acquired an immaculate double double room with ensuite, safe for valuables, crisp white linen, working TV etc. The Amsterdam is preying on the young and inexperienced travel off to see the world for the first time or the person who's given up on life. I would not recommend putting my dog there for the price when there are so many other motels around offering the basics for much less.... My friend didn't even get the opportunity to see the squalor as she managed to get there later and didn't have to experience the ordeal. I was promised one night refund but I see nothing on my bank statement.... so guess trusting the word of someone on a desk is a learning experience. :-(

Room Tip: Sorry there was no swimming pool! Except maybe the puddle made by the rusty old shower if it worked...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to AAE Amsterdam San Francisco? Share your experiences!