“Love this renovated throw back to a bygone era” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Del Sol, a Joie de Vivre hotel

You added Hotel Del Sol, a Joie de Vivre hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Del Sol, a Joie de Vivre hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3100 Webster Street, San Francisco, CA 94123 (Marina District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Lucky Locals Rate
Ranked #42 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bay Area, CA
“Love this renovated throw back to a bygone era”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Stayed at this hotel while in town to see a show.

I loved the vibe from the moment I walked in. It reminded me of what it must have been like in a bygone era. It is a motor court hotel, with 3 floors. The pool is in the center. The rooms were clean and comfortable. But you are in a city. There was a little bit of sound from the city streets. Nothing that prevented me from sleeping. I think there was a big St. Patrick's Day celebration nearby.

Nice continental breakfast in the morning, served out on the patio. The staff was super friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

Green Features: Love that they are environmentally friendly. I noticed when I checked in to my room that they employ green practices into their business.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Ron R, Front Office Manager at Hotel Del Sol, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Warm Greetings from the Hotel Del Sol!

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments regarding your recent stay with us! We welcome guest comments and appreciate the feedback!

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you took advantage of our complimentary continental breakfast. I'm also happy to know that our staff was friendly and helpful!

We look forward to welcoming you back whenever your travels may lead you back to beautiful San Francisco!

Hotel Del Sol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Papeete, French Polynesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

The hotel has clean rooms, a kind service, is closed to a lot of good restaurants and shopping at its around, nightclubs too ! I just love it! If you're kan of singing, there's also a Karaoke bar at just one block, the bar is fine, but the Karaoke is pretty cool !!! Go Go

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Warm Greetings from the Hotel Del Sol!

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you found our guestrooms to be clean and well appointed. I'm also glad to know that our staff was friendly and helpful and that you had time to enjoy some of the excellent restaurants and bars within walking distance of the hotel!

St. Helena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We had an event to attend at Fort Mason and this hotel was in a great location. We loved the bright and upbeat atmosphere as well as the friendly and helpful staff. We liked that they were environmentally aware too.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Warm Greetings from the Hotel Del Sol!

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that our staff was friendly and helpful! I'm also glad to know that our convenient location made your stay even more enjoyable.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

LOVED this hotel/motel. Don't let the motel style dissuade you from checking out this great find in San Francisco. I travel to San Francisco at least twice a year combining business with pleasure. I generally bring my young daughter, my mom and her dog. Finding a hotel with parking, accepts pets and is family friendly is difficult and expensive. I recently expanded my search and recognized the Joie de Vivre brand and thought why not give it a try. The price was right and it had all the amenities including a pool for my daughter to play in while I worked.

Found out it was a great neighborhood, easy walking to restaurants, play area, short jaunt to Fisherman's Wharf and the Presidio. Funky California beach motel style with updated rooms, very comfortable. Even came with complimentary continental breakfast (although I was surprised this did not include fruit)

A little loud at night if you have someone above you but we sleep with a white noise machine and it was fine.

Staff was amazingly helpful, friendly and accommodating. I would absolutely stay here again!

Room Tip: Higher floors will be quieter at night
Green Features: Always important in my hotel selection, thank you for taking it seriously
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Warm Greetings from the Hotel Del Sol!

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that our convenient location and friendly staff made your time even more enjoyable! I'm also glad to know that you were able to enjoy our complimentary continental breakfast!

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We recently stayed at Hotel Del Sol while visiting San Francisco. First and foremost, the staff at this hotel were excellent and extremely friendly. They welcome you with smiles on their faces and lemonade and/or infused water at check-in. I'll breakdown this review into 3 short segments: 1. Location 2. Room Quality 3. Price

Location-The hotel is centrally located between the Marina and Pacific Heights neighborhoods. From here you can easily take a cab, uber or walk to many of the city's great tourist attractions or local hangouts. The hotel also offers surface parking (at a cost) if you have a car. Parking is tough to find in the city.

Room Quality- This is where the title comes from. In true California style, the layout of the complex features an open air courtyard with a pool and law area. To access the room you will be outside which also means that your windows open to the public area. We found that this caused for quite a bit of noise while you're sleeping as people return home. The rooms are laid out like those you'd find in a standard motel with an average quality mattress and furniture that has been dated. if you've ever stayed at a days inn, this would be akin to that rather than a hotel with all the bells and whistles you'd come to expect. The bathroom was really small and there was nothing special about the room.

Price- Like everything in SF, the cost for lodging is expensive. However, the hotel is really more of a motel and the price should more accurately reflect the same. They are priced more like a 3-4 star hotel so I'd look around if you're more price sensitive or seek deals and promotions they may be offering.

We enjoyed our stay here but could not quite justify the price.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Warm Greetings from the Hotel Del Sol!

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that our location was convenient! I am disappointed to hear that you found your room to be a bit noisy. I will certainly forward your comments to our General Manager.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We found Hotel Del Sol thanks to all the reviews here on TripAdvisor. We stayed there for 4 nights in May 2014. Overall, it's a great hotel for the price and location.

Location: On Lombard Street in the Marina neighborhood. It's not a touristy area. Instead, you get a true San Fran local neighborhood experience. Tons of good restaurants. It's very easy to take a bus to the major attractions (or bus to cable car). Very safe neighborhood as well.

Property: The property is more that of a Motel, not a Hotel. It has four open-air sides surrounding an open courtyard (with pool and hammocks). The rooms open out to the courtyard, not an enclosed hallway. While there are open driveways into the courtyard, we didn't have any safety concerns. Fear not: The rooms and service are that of a hotel.

Room: Very comfortable bed, very clean. Tip: If the shower water pressure seems dismal, rotate the shower head to a different setting.

Service: Awesome. From the front desk to the cleaning staff, no complaints.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Warm Greetings from the Hotel Del Sol!

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that our staff was helpful and friendly! I'm also glad to know that you had time to enjoy the some of the great restaurants and shopping within walking distance of the hotel!

Andover, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Great location
Good 'to go' bagels & cream cheese.
Funky, boutique hotel with useful amenities.
$10 parking
Great value
I normally like a hotel as opposed to a motel, but the arrangement of it made it feel more safe and pleasant.

• Stayed May 2014
Warm Greetings from the Hotel Del Sol!

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! I'm also glad to know that you took advantage of our complimentary continental breakfast and had time to enjoy the some of the great restaurants and shopping within walking distance of the hotel!

Hotel Del Sol

Been to Hotel Del Sol, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!