“Quaint hotel in great location” 5 of 5 stars

Nob Hill Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   835 Hyde Street, San Francisco, CA 94109   |
Ranked #135 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Riverside, California
“Quaint hotel in great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The staff at the hotel was always super friendly and ready to help with any questions that we had. It was in a great area, only a 10 minute walk away from Union Square Park where we could catch the public bus or a tour bus. The room was always clean when we would arrive at the end of the day, and there was a mini grocery store almost right across the street where we could get some snacks or drinks for the day. The parking was cheap considering most places in the area charged around $5 an hour, and the valet service was quick and efficient. The only thing I could say anything about was the breakfast. Although it was good, I would have liked some form of protein to be included like eggs or meat, instead of just the cereals, bread, and fruit. Overall though, it was a fantastic hotel in an excellent area, for the price we paid. I would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Pleasant View, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We loved staying at the Nob Hill Hotel in San Francisco. The staff was very attentive and friendly. Anything we asked for they promptly responded. Each night we enjoyed complimentary wine and cheese in the lobby area. We WILL definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room faced out to Hyde Street. It was a bit noisy from traffic but we didn't mind.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
suva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Yes, We'll certainly go back to the hotel. We stayed in the penthouse, loved the jacuzzi, and had views of the 4th of July Fireworks. The hotel is on the edge of the Tenderloin and the Financial/Union Square area. Our room was quiet at night except of course, for the 4th of july fireworks. The neighborhood is fine, and generally one should to drive or cab to a fancy restaurant. only a couple restaurants within walking distance.
We had ----excellent treatment by all the hotel staff----.. One suggestion we have for the hotel concerns the valet service. ---The valet/car park service is not run by the hotel, but the hotel should add their own valet/car park service.--- We appreciated that The hotel staff interceded when the valet took over an hour to get our car. The second time the valet returned our car while I waited, the valet stopped the car and asked me how to put it in park and we let the hotel staff know. Definitely we''ll return.

Room Tip: pick the penthouse!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I ended up at the Nob Hill Hotel as it was Oracle week and the city was heavily booked. Being a monthly commuter, I have been in a lot of hotels and knew to have low expectations for this hotel. Even my low expectations were not low enough.

It started with check-in. I booked through a third party site for a "Dexluxe Run of House" - however, when I got there I was put in a tiny, smelly STANDARD room. When I complained, he said they were full and rudely explained to be that 'run of house meant they could put me wherever they wanted'. That is not the case - I should have been give a Deluxe room or better. Bottom line - they would not move me.

The room was shabby - see my pics of the stained walls, tattered furniture, broken phone and dirty linens. It was disgusting - and for $300/night! The worst part was when the neighbors came home in the adjoining room. The paper thin walls left nothing to the imagination.

The neighborhood is sketchy - that I knew. I suppose it is true the hotel is on Nob Hill but it is on the Tendernob area - adjacent to the Tenderloin. Don't be fooled that you are on Nob Hill

I would NOT stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Really not up to par by any hotel standards. There was a hole under the carpet in our room, out the window a rooftop with trash and discarded screens, tv powered by old extension cords. I asked housekeeping for an ice bucket and got a dirty one without the liner, I complained but no one brought a liner. The included restaurant wasn't open several nights it was supposed to be. We would have been much better off nearly anywhere else in San Francisco.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Vilnius, Lithuania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

The hotel was built in 1906 and is decorated accordingly, so you really feel like stepping back in time (in a good sence!). The authentic elevator is quite charming.
They also offer free wine tastings each afternoon on 5:30-7:00 PM, which is nice. However, the complementary breakfast were a bit disappointing, with only cereals, sweet pastry, toasts and fruit available.
The rooms are really clean, but some refurbishing would be good already (without losing the boutique charm).
The location is not the very center/downtown, but you can easily reach all the major attractions there in max 30 min.
Overall, it is really a value for money deal.

• Stayed July 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I liked the appearance of the lobby and check in was fine but our room experience was not good for a number of reasons. The wave of a strong and peculiar smell hit hard when entering our room. The carpeting was stained and the furnishings in general felt out dated and odd. The room was dark and dreary as well. After stubbing my toes and knees repeatedly on the protruding bed frame, I was ready to cry! The bathroom was unattractive and in need of a much needed renovation.
My son's room was much better; sunnier, cleaner, decorated nicer and the bathroom renovated.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated bathroom in your room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Nob Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!