“Good Location, Nice Staff, Rooms Need a Makeover” 2 of 5 stars

Roberts At The Beach Motel
2828 Sloat Blvd., San Francisco, CA 94116 (Sunset)   |
Ranked #225 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Hermosa Beach, California
“Good Location, Nice Staff, Rooms Need a Makeover”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We were visiting the San Francisco State University campus as well as the San Francisco Zoo, so we reserved a room in the southwest corner of Outer Sunset District in San Francisco at the Roberts At the Beach Motel which is located only 2.2 miles from the SFSU campus and right across the street within walking distance of the Zoo. Also, the beach, a muni bus stop and a muni tram L-Line stop were all within a block of the motel. It was easy to take public transportation to anywhere in San Francisco.

Although the staff was very nice and the location was great our motel room itself was in dire need of repair. The lights by our bed stand were broken, the television did not work, the towel bar was broken off the wall in the bathroom, the shower drained slowly, wallpaper was peeling off the walls, paint was peeling off the shower ceiling, and the window pane glass separated from the frame when opening the window. The walls and doors needed to be repainted. The beds were fairly comfortable and we slept well. The room and linens were clean. On the day we checked out the owners let us store our luggage while we toured the city.

The property has enormous potential because of the location and ease of access to public transportation; it's a wonder the owners don't fix it up nicer. I hesitate to say, "Don't stay here" because if you just want to go to this area of San Francisco on the cheap and stay in a room under $90/night (no cancellations accepted) so you can spend what you save on fine dining or going to the zoo instead - then it may be worthwhile to put up with the limited amenities and shabby interiors. We didn't hang out in the room much - we were out and about. There is also a cool surf shop next door and a few low-key restaurants catering to locals nearby.

Room Tip: Recommend you request a room on the west side of the second floor on the south end. It should be qu...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

its very cold and foggy there is not to many touri sts who are big spenders its a neiborhood full of curious people there is small
crime but fizzles with time

• Stayed April 2014
Sparks, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

thought it wouldnt be too bad since not spending much time in the room. But it was the worst room I ever stayed in. Dirty floor walls bathroom.. It was nice to be close to the ocean though. We were able to hear waves..would not stay again.

Room Tip: dont do it
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

The main advantage of Roberts is its location. It’s not only right off the beach, but excellent transportation options with access to all parts of the city. The end of a street car line, which goes all the way to the ferry building, is right behind the motel. A bus stops in front. from the motel, one can drive right along the beach North to the Cliff House area and thence to the left and along the Northern edge of the city to the Golden Gate bridge, Marina district, and then to the Aquatic park, Ghiradelli Square, Fisherman’s Wharf, Pier 39 areas. It’s easier than cutting through the center of the city.

Roberts now has excellent TV (not flat screen) and WiFi. The rooms also have a good micro oven and refridge. In my room their was a scarcity of plugs, so my extension cords, which I always carry, were very helpful and solved any problem of charging my devices.

Personally, I found the room I stayed in quite clean. I’ve read reports of rooms being dirty, but that was not my experience. The bathroom is small, just a shower, small sink, and toilet. Very little shelf space in the bathroom. However, just outside the bathroom were abundant, large shelf areas where cloths are hung. Drawer space was fine.

I’d advice an upstairs room facing East, not West, as West, facing the ocean, has a view of garbage cans from local businesses. By the way, there is an excellent small take out pizza place just yards up the street to the East, and an excellent small restaurant just yards to the West. Across the street is the entrance to the SF Zoo.

Everywhere in SF is expensive. Roberts is not modern, but if you are going to use it mainly for sleeping while seeing the city, then you should find it OK. I have no complaints about it at all.

Room Tip: Upstairs, East side
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
El Cerrito, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

For the solo type who wants to save a few bucks (maybe 20-30 $ from other nearby hotels in this location) and just passing through...or need to spend some time alone to wander the beach during the day, this is the place. I paid $100 tax incl. for a shabby room.

At first a little turned off after looking at a room (tho staying for the savings...just me after all) I walked to the nearest pizza joint, thinking no need to spend much time in the room. But after some food and a late night saunter in the cool fog, blowin' in off the ocean through the neighborhood cypress trees, the waves audible in the dark down toward the beach, my mind turned a bend and it became...homey. That was a surprise.

The creaky table, noisy bathroom fan, tilted mirror etc...it was all ok... So if your a poet type or photographer or writer and want to be away where no one needs to know where you are...this is good. (Though I did just return from India, so a place like this is not too shocking.)

If you want nicer in this location, the Art Deco place across the street looks much better ( http://www.oceanparkmotel.com/page/nrz9/Rooms_Rates.html )

(Overall Poor Rating: Really should be cheaper per the room conditions. Maybe not a nice feeling for a family with kids...hard end of town felling.)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Mililani Town, Hawaii, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was planning a trip to San Francisco because my husband was going to have surgery at the San Francisco VA Medical hospital. However the weekend we were suppose to leave my husband got sick to travel. The day we were suppose to leave I was going to try to take him anyways. But once I got to the hospital & saw how ill he still was I couldn't take him like that. I made reservation at Roberts from 8-5-13 thru 8-16-13. I spent the entire day at the hospital so devastated about my husband's condition. I couldn't think about nothing except my husband. Later that night I was cancelled my reservation cause I wasn't sure about my husband health or when he would be ready to travel. I contacted Booking.com but they said that I would still be charged the $110 (i think) for cancelation fee from the Roberts Hotel. I asked the agent did you tell the manager about my situation she said yes. So I decided to call him myself. His name was Andy he was rude, disrespectful & inconsiderate. I was trying to explain to him about my situation his response was "IT'S 10:30 pm & YOU JUST KNOW CALLING I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING YOU HAVE TO SAY & he hung up the phone." Never in my 40 yrs of life have I ever had anyone disrespect me like that. Of course I tried to call back but he wouldn't pick up the phone.
For me it was a blessing my husband got sick before we left cause I didn't need to say at this dump & we were able to travel a few days later & stayed at Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf & had an amazing time & my husband is recovering well the his surgery. Even though Holiday Inn was out of budget for me but it was worth it.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Redding, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

To start we paid 100.00 for this room. Dirtiest hotel 'ive ever stayed at. We could actually write the word DIRT in the dust on the walls, sheets and blankets had holes, absolutely no water pressure to take a shower. Had I known ahead of time I would have gone somewhere else but because a friend had reserved it for us they would have been charged if we cancelled. They tried to make excuses for the dirt when we complained but theres no excuse for flith.

Room Tip: spend the extra money and stay someplace else
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Roberts At The Beach Motel? Share your experiences!