“DO NOT STAY HERE” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #137 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
“DO NOT STAY HERE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. My first impression was that the outside is revolting but the inside quite nice. Upon arrival I went for a walk down the street and realised I was located in the worst possible area I could be in San Francisco.. Surrounded by gangs, homeless, prostitutes and drug addicts I felt very unsafe and quickly made my way back to the hotel. My first night here was disgraceful. Situated on level two I could hear every conversation every footstep and every momvement made above me, this alongside the man and woman who had a verbal screaming match an were throwing things and running up and down, kept me awake all night. There was nothing done about the distressing fight by staff. Fortunately the hotel did move me to the highest level so I could not hear as much for the second and third night but after experiencing this and also a mugging of a lady just down the road my experience was already ruined. I would not recommend this hotel or area to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Americania, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Brittyp,

Thank you for providing us your opinion about your stay at the Best Western Plus Americania. I certainly hope the incident you witnessed does not tarnish San Francisco’s or our hotel’s image in your opinion. This unfortunate incident is not common around the hotel.

We offer our apologies in regard to the experience you had on the first night.
We respect all of our guests which is why we do have a No Party Policy and do enforce it. We do understand that at the time you felt that you were unable to contact us about the incident. Our security staff is available at a moment’s notice to respond to any incidents. We ask our guests to feel free to contact the front desk so that we are able to respond to any incident. We are glad we were able to assist you in finding a room that was more to your liking.

We hope you are able to give our hotel and the SOMA neighborhood a second chance.

461 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This was a great location within walking distance to the Wraf and many other locations. The room was great and we actually had a sauna in our room. Parking was a little cramped but all in all great room with a great price. Staff were ever so accomadatining.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I stayed here one night before meeting up with a tour group for my vacation. I'm glad I didn't stay any longer. The first impression is good; the lobby is clean and contemporary and the front desk staff is very friendly. But that's about the only good thing there is to say. After leaving the lobby, you find a very old, musty and rundown building. Once i got to my room, I was extremely disappointed to find out that my room, along with what seems like most other rooms, only faces an interior courtyard. This courtyard is not some beautiful, large landscaped courtyard. It was a small, concrete covered space with a single tree in the middle. And other rooms lined every wall, so if you wanted some sunshine through the ONLY window in your room, everybody else was going to see into your room. The room was not appealing either. It was very small, and dirty. For $160 a night, I expected to have a mini fridge in the room. No mini fridge and NO COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST. It's hard to find a hotel nowadays that does not have a complimentary breakfast, especially when paying this much. There was a curtain covering the closet in my room that was covered in dust at the top of it. I don't think it had ever been cleaned. The next morning, it took me about 10 minutes before I could get any hot water in the shower. And when I did, the shower head was almost a trickle. I was just glad that I was only there one night. I stayed in a super 8 motel a few days later for $52 a night, and I liked it better than this hotel. I would not recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Americania, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Brandon G,

Thank you for providing your opinions in regard to our hotel and for appreciating the level of service our staff willingly provides on a daily basis.

It is unfortunate that our hotel layout and your room configuration did not meet your expectations and offer our apologies. Upon request when available we offer other room options and additional amenities like a mini fridge.

We understand how frustrating it must be to expect certain amenities. Best Western is the largest hotel chain in the world each Best Western branded hotel is individually owned and operated as such the amenities offered differ from property to property. We do apologize that you were unhappy with the amenities that we had to offer.

We take pride in our cleanliness and attention to detail, but clearly we were not up to standards on your stay. This in no way represents the standards we uphold as a Best Western branded hotel. Your feedback has been invaluable and will assist us in providing you and our future guests a better experience in the future.

We hope to warmly welcome you back for a future stay. Thank you again for your time and response.

Seattle, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

AVOID at all costs...speaking of costs, $300/night for a dirty room and clogged bathroom. Front desk staff sent us up to three room three different times and all were dirty. Forth room was cleaned but bathtub clogged and hot water took 10min to heat up. WILL NEVER stay here again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Haiyi, Front Desk Supervisor at BEST WESTERN PLUS Americania, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Juan C,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your expereince at the Best Western Plus Americania. I apologize for the difficulty you had checking in and getting settled into your room. The wait and multiple issues you described are not acceptable nor are they our norm.

I would be happy to discuss directly with you if you could contact me at jbonnett@haiyi-hotels.com or at 415-626-0200.

We appreciate your feedback and hope we can welcome you back to the Best Western Plus Americania soon.
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed at the BW Americano while on a family holiday with teenage kids.. We were supposed to stay 3 nights but we checked out a day early and left San Fran. The room was the largest and was supposed to sleep 5 but with only double beds this made for an uncomfortable night. The sofa bed felt like the springs were about to burst through. One of our kids ended up sleeping on the sofa cushions on the floor made up with new linen. It was noisy, hot and stuffy and no air con is unacceptable.. I wish I had checked first. Most concerning though was the location.. We felt very uncomfortable walking around and would certainly not walk at night which made evening plans restricted to being in taxi's. The price was one of the highest we have experienced in all the Hotels we stayed at in the US. Would certainly not go back. The staff however were lovely and very accommodating and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Americania, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Androssi,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Tripadvisor. We sincerely apologize that the quality of the sofa bed fell short of your standards. We have received the feedback from our guests and we are in the process of upgrading our sofa beds.

Many hotels in San Francisco do not require air conditioning as we enjoy a mild climate year round. We understand how frustrated you must have been since your stay coincided with unseasonably warm temperatures.

The initial impression of our neighborhood can be surprising to some visitors but the south of market neighborhood is filled with a diverse group of locals which include families and singles alike. In many urban cities there are multiple paths you can take to avoid certain sections that some would deem as undesirable. Our well informed staff willingly provides our guests this type of information.

We are delighted that our staff exceeded your expectations. Our staff hope to warmly welcome you on your return to San Francisco. Hopefully you will provide our SOMA neighborhood a second opportunity so that you are able to explore our ever changing neighborhood. Thank you again for your time and response.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I found the service to be great and the room was clean and well decorated, though a little small. Wasn't too much of an issue, we only slept here.

I also wasn't a huge fan of the location. It was roughly a 20 minute walk to public transport. If you want to save money it's great value in that sense, that money won't get you far closer to the attractions. The location definitely brings it down though.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Us_traveldiary,

Salutations, it was our pleasure that our friendly and helpful staff was able to welcome you to your home in San Francisco. We truly appreciate that you took the time to provide a warm opinion about the Best Western Plus Americania. We offer our rooms in a variety of different configurations.

Though walking to downtown is always an option our friendly staff highly recommends that you walk two blocks to Market street to catch a bus, train or the historic streetcar to your next destination.

We thank you again and hope to warmly welcome you back on your next visit to San Francisco.

Best, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This summer, on Independance Day, my family and I visited the Americania Hotel in SF. The interieur of the hotel was very nice. They even had a swimmingpool, in the middel of the city. Taking a swim in the middle of San Francisco. Only the water of the pool did you cool you down, the temp was little too high.

Hotel is located 2 blocks from Market Street. I agree with several other reviews that this part of the city is not the nicest. A lot of homeless people on the streets.
With 15 min walk you are in the centre of the shopping area and the cable car towards Fishermans Warf. Also the trolley car (not the crowded cable car) to Fishermans Warf is nearby. This trolley costs $2 per person and drops you close to Pier 39.

The people of the hotel were very nice and helpfull. It started with the guys from the parking. They were very helpfull and friendly. Checking in also was very quick and friendly.

When we left the hotel for the next hotel, 500 km away, we found out that we forgot our passports in the save.... We decided not to ride back, but to call the hotel and ask them to send the passports to the next hotel. The hotelmanager, Rafik Hanna really helped us out. He had sent the passports with Fedex to our next hotel in Las Vegas. He had to put quite some effort to fix this for us. A big THANK YOU for that, Rafik. Excellent service!

I would recomment this hotel to everybody who want to visit SF and wants to sit in/near the centre of the city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Haiyi, Front Desk Supervisor at BEST WESTERN PLUS Americania, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Ferry v,

Thank you for taking the time out to post about the Best Western Plus Americania on TripAdvisor. Our guests are very important to us and we value your feedback.

We are delighted to hear of your wonderful experience with all of our staff. We take pride in our customer service and attention to detail.

We are also very happy to hear that your passports reached you in time to return home. Rafik sets a wonderful example for all of us here and we are delighted that you were able to be a witness to that.

Again, we appreciate your feedback about the Best Western Plus Americania. We thank you and hope that on your next visit to San Francisco you will remember your friends here on 7th street.
Best Wishes,

Jazmine Bonnett
Front Desk Supervisor
Best Western Plus Americania

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Americania? Share your experiences!