“A modern and well equipped Hotel with very nice rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #137 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Zurich
“A modern and well equipped Hotel with very nice rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in this Hotel and we liked it very much. Although the location is not to be considered as the best one in SF, the hotel itself, the modern building, the clean and convenient rooms, the service, the affordable rates and the kindness of the staff make this place an excellent choice for a visit of SF. On-site parking available.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Americania, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Wernero,

Thank you for your response we truly appreciate that you provided an honest and warm opinion of our hotel. Our entire staff are here to serve and provide a place that you can call home when you are on your travels. We are glad that we were able to provide you the service we aim for on a daily basis.

We anticipate your return to warmly welcome you home on your next visit to San Francisco.

Danke schön,

Don Ignacio
Front Office Manager
Best Western Plus Americania

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights. The hotel itself was good. We liked the décor, which is not cheap, its retro and very well themed, although you will either love it or hate it. The room was quite small but it served its purpose. For the main part we slept well, but the courtyard did get very noisy, its didnt really disturb us, but for people who want to sleep in it might be a problem as we heard noise from about 7am each morning. The staff were good on the desk and excellent in the bar. We used to bar most nights, it has a fantastic selection of drinks and we really liked it- probably our favourite part of the hotel. The staff in custom burger on our first morning (16th sept) however were awful. We were greeted by a man just shoving menus into our hand without saying a word then walking off. We then went to place our order and I walked away without realising I needed to pay up front (because noone explained this to us!), he then yelled at me to get back, making me feel like a fool. When our food came he just barked the orders out and dumped it front of us without a smile or any kind of customer service. We spent 3 weeks in america and this is the first and only time we didnt leave some kind of tip for a staff member serving us for something, we were so disgusted in the service we received we didn't return to custom burger. The food itself was average, but you get really big portions and bottomless coffee, so its quite good value at breakfast. Apart from this our experience of the hotel was generally good. The location of the hotel is good for transport, excellent links for the trolley cars, buses and bart. However the neighbourhood is very intimidating. It is not the homeless, these people we found harmless and they did not bother us, however there were lots of unsavoury characters around and most nights we saw people getting arrested around market and 6th, one night it was a guy on our trolley. Although we found it really easy to get around my husband and I did not feel safe walking around the streets anywhere after 5th and market. Overall the hotel is quite nice, but I wouldn't stay again based purely on its location, which if it was a nicer area would actually be ideal.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Americania, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear hayla82,

Your comments about your stay with us are much appreciated and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and the Trip Advisor community! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our accommodations the five nights you were with us. However, I truly apologize for the service encountered with one our team members while dining at our Custom Burger. I will certainly relay your experience with our Food & Beverage Manager along with our entire Executive management team to insure this does not happen again.

Also in regards to our location, our neighborhood of SoMA (South of Market) area is an eclectic and diverse area which contributes to the overall makeup of the city of San Francisco. Although not necessarily the most luxurious part of town, SoMA is continually thriving with planned restaurant openings as well as major corporations moving into our neighborhood.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to SoMA on a future visit to San Francisco.

Springfield, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed here with my wife for a scheduled one night stay (attending a day San Francisco Giants game 9-20-2012) before travelling on. It was obvious the building was older but incurred an extensive amount of remodeling and redisign. The area is not the best but felt safe while at the hotel. Definately an eye opener of the environment when walking to the subway while seeking transportation to AT and T Park, walking back to the hotel after the game, and when I went running the next morning. My wife and I were pleased that we were able to stay in the hotel that night, eating at the hotel's restaurant (the burger was very good) and having a beer at the lounge. We actually stayed in room 205 (see other review) and other than a hyper active (and loud) motion detecting bathroom exhaust fan the room was fine. We did hear some noises from outside (people walking, rolling suitcases and street sounds) but nothing that caused any problelms. I liked the room because it was near the workout room for my wife and a short distance to the pool and elevator. Things I did not like was the valet fees and the aforementiond bathroom exhaust. The staff were very polite and accomendating and the hotel appeared clean (as well as our room).

Room Tip: The valet fees will be a necessary evil. Always be aware of the surroundings at night.
Dear jlk961,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and wanted to let you know how much we appreciate your taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. Regarding the bathroom exhaust, I'll be sure to relay your message to our Engineering team to take a look at it, thank you also for providing your specific room number! Also, regarding our overnight parking fee, parking is a challenge in the entire city but we are pleased to offer affordable parking rates compared to that of hotels around Union Square, Financial District and Fisherman's Wharf where fees top $62 per night. But most importantly, I'm glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay while in San Francisco and you enjoyed a wonderful game at AT&T Park. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest very soon!

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

The hotel is located in the south of market area of San Francisco. The room was comfortable for a single bed and the hotel is done up in a retro-1960's style. The location is OK in the downtown core and 2 blocks away from the subway, but the area is rife with homeless people. All the standard amenities were functional although the bathroom was very small with the door actually unable to open fully because it hit the front of the toilet. The room I got overlooked an alley and was across from several recycling bins from a neighboring business. Needless to say this spot was a favorite spot for the homeless to go searching for bottles so every night during the week, you could hear the sound of clinking bottles through the single pane windows as the homeless sifted through the recycling containers.

It appears that the carpets in the room also needed some major cleaning. One night I put the initially clean bath towel on the carpeted area just outside the washroom and I stood on it. Imagine my surprise when I was done and moved the towel back only to find that there was a dark black stain on the underside of the towel in the area I was standing in which came from the filth on the carpet!

There is an attached restaurant which produces standard breakfast fare (hot & continental available). The food is well prepared and can get very busy in the mornings especially when the bus tourists hit the restaurant all at the same time.

Ostensibly, there is wireless internet service at the hotel. It allows regular internet traffic but the data rate was very low speed in general and it had some extreme problems handling secure virtual private network (secure VPN) services. Although I could get VPN access to my server initially, within a few minutes, they blocked the VPN address. This happened on 2 different VPNs. This means you cannot access the internet through a secure encrypted connection. I called their tech support to try to get the problem fixed but connections continued to be spotty at best.

Overall an average hotel with no surprises, but expensive for what you get, slow speed internet access, and with very poor VPN access. Business travelers considering this hotel need to consider these factors carefully.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Americania, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear ent i,

Your comments about your stay with us are much appreciated and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and the Trip Advisor community. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the quality of the room as I will insure your comments will be relayed to our Hotel Manager, IT Manager and Director of Housekeeping to guarantee these issues are taken cared of.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to San Francisco in the near future!

Glendale, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Positives first .
The Americania is centrally located near the Muni Station and close to Market St so public transportation was ++++. This is a 70's hotel that has been redone in a cool hipster motif. The staff was very helpful with any issues my party had. Custom Burger which is attached to hotel was very good for a burger place very Umami Burger if you are familar

Negatives
DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 205 it is next to elevator and ice machine and the fitness center is five feet away they will wake you up with their banging on the treadmill. I am sure the staff have heard all this before. But try to rent it to see if you do not complain. I had to move because the noise was horrible. Next day staff member Jazmine moved me to third floor much quieter she was my go to girl when I need help. Thanks so much. Overnight parking is 25 dollars a night with in and out privileges. Location for some may seem a bit rough but this is SF and their are homeless everywhere at least they are not aggressive like in other cities. Room did not have accessible receptacles to plug in equipment next to bed I have a sleep apnea machine and had to move the attached headboard to access recep to plug in. WIFI reception in both of my rooms was unacceptable only saving grace was that one room had ethernet cable but not my second room. If you are doing business and need WIFI I do not recommend staying here. If you are traveling with friends and like being close to SOMA and all of its night life but not directly in it. You will find it acceptable. Oh yes did find a used bandage in my room on the floor YUCK!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 205 way to noisy
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear John M,

We certainly appreciate that you took the time to share your review about your recent stay with us and the Trip Advisor community. IWe are pleased that you enjoyed our accommodations as well as the offerings at our Custom Burger!

Thank you for your candid feedback about the first room that you were checked into, but am glad that Jazmine was able to take care of your relocation and was able to take care of you and your group throughout your stay. We also appreciate your feedback regarding the amenities of the room and will also insure that the message is conveyed to our Director of Housekeeping so that we may deliver a pristine room to all of our guests.

Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to San Francisco!

Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed here on 3,4,5th September for the first stage of our honeymoon, it was pre-booked for us by a travel agent. On first arrival it seemed a nice place, nice big reception with 2 computer workstations with internet and a printer that was free to use. The guy on reception was very helpful and friendly and gave us some helpful hints and tips for our stay in SF. We were given a room on the 4th floor that was big and airy, everything worked fine. The decor was very retro but in a good way. Bed was comfy and clean. Rooms cleaned daily. Its not in the best area but it is close to Market St (where you can get basically anywhere in the city via trolley or bus). We would walk the route during the day but due to the amount of homeless and gangs that were on the way we would get a taxi at night. Overall a nice place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Americania, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear James R,

First and foremost, congratulations to you and yours in tying the knot, we wish you both an amazing future ahead together!

We certainly appreciate that you took the time to share your review about your recent stay with us and the Trip Advisor community. I am pleased that you enjoyed our accommodations and service during your three-night stay! Our little neighborhood of SoMA is an eclectic and diverse area and although it's not the luxurious part of, "The City," SoMA is continually thriving with planned restaurant and cafe openings as well as major corporations that have recently moved to the area. And as you mentioned, our location provides the best great access to anywhere you need to go within San Francisco and beyond! Above all, I am very happy that you enjoyed your visit to San Francisco and stayed with us during the first leg of your honeymoon!

We hope to welcome you both back on your next trip to San Francisco, maybe on an anniversary!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I normally don't leave reviews but didnt want anyone to be as disappointed as we were. This hotel was a horrible experience. I would like to say there was one redeeming quality in this hotel but cannot. In the hotel room the heat didn't work and the maintenance person that came to check on the room was drunk. There was no hot water and was told to wait a couple hours for hot water again. When we requested a new room with working heat the staff stated there wasn't one available and promised to have available later. After returning to check on a new room they stated they were booked and couldn't move us. They management was inefficient and not friendly. The hotel was expensive,loud, no heat, no hot water and extremely non helpful staff. I would never stay here again and may not ever stay at a Best Western again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Americania, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Helg0040,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us. On behalf of our entire staff, you have my apologies for the situations you encountered during your stay and that our services did not meet your expectations.

We understand the frustration you felt and have contacted each department to address the comments you have provided. We thank you for your feedback and do hope that you are willing to give us and Best Western another chance as we are capable of providing excellent customer service.

If I can assist you in anyway I am at your service. Please give me a call at 415-626-0200.

Kind regards,

Don Ignacio
Front Office Manager
Best Western Plus Americania

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Americania? Share your experiences!