First let me state this is a budget hotel ($100 a night range). With that said, I'd say this is one of the better budget hotels on Lombard. The 1 king bed room appeared to have been updated within the last few years. Carpet, furniture, and bed had that new feeling to it versus something you'd see at Hotel 6. Remember this hotel is located on a main artery to the Golden Gate bridge and is close to Chestnut St restaurants. A degree of noise is expected. My room was in the back that faced an alley, which was much quieter. You will hear people talking through the night outside. A popular bar called City Tavern half a block from the hotel lures in a lot of people due to its cheap happy hour prices. If your room faces Lombard expect to hear traffic noise. Its not that bad. Make sure your windows are completely closed...makes a big difference.
The location of the Chelsea is in an excellent location! You are blocks from the very popular Chestnut area with lots of places to eat and shop. There's a Taco Bell/KFC across the street if you are really on a tight budget. Several bus lines stop near the hotel. I don't suggest walking to Union Square, Pier39, Market St. like some have said on here. Take the bus! Its $2 ride OR you can buy a 3 day pass for $20 that gets you unlimited rides on the cable cars, buses, and trains. The #30 bus line stops one block from Chelsea. This line will take you to Fishermans wharf, North Beach, Chinatown and eventually to Market/ 4th. For those of you who are returning after 1am, the #91 OWL bus line stops right in front of the Chelsea. The 91OWL line goes through all the major areas of the city till 6am.
The parking is somewhat of an issue. They have 2 levels of parking with just enough spaces for majority of the rooms. It does fill up every night because parking is a premium in that area. Chelsea does not charge for parking which is bonus for that area. Most hotels charge on average $20-30 a night to park in their lot. For me, I parked and used the buses and taxi to get around for the 3 nights I stayed at Chelsea.
Chelsea offers free internet access via wireless and wired. Its slow but workable for checking emails and looking at Google maps. Streaming video such as Skype'ing or iChatting will fail.
Overall, my room was clean and the bed was comfortable with lots of pillows. I'd recommend this room to my friends if they were staying on a budget. The free parking alone will save you $20 a night. The front desk was professional and had me checked in and checked out in no time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Marina District, between Fillmore and Lombard. Centrally located in a lively neighborhood with restaurants, bars, shops and public transportation within walking distance. One mile away from Fisherman's Wharf or 25 min. Walking distance.One block away is the Bus 30: takes you Fisherman's Wharf, North Beach, China Town, Union Square. We offer complementary parking for one car per room. Weekends offer a lot of activity in the streets around the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Chelsea Motor Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chelsea Motor Hotel San Francisco
- Chelsea Motel San Francisco