“Lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
England
“Lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Hotels in San Francisco are really expensive so when I found this place for £80 a night I wasn't sure what to expect. There was no need to worry. This hotel is lovely. It is well located - you can walk to Pier 39 in about half an hour.
The rooms in the hotel were big and clean. The beds were very comfortable. The room we were initially given was facing Lombard Street and there was a fair bit of noise coming from the road, however, when we ask reception if we could get a quieter room we were immediately given a room that was facing a side road.
The staff at the hotel are really friendly and helpful and will go out of their way to make your stay comfortable.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

770 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Whitefish, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The reviews are correct, this place is a find. Paid on avg. of $130 for a Thrsday and a Friday. The location is a very desirable neighborhood with tons of restaurants and shopping. More locals then tourists, but still within walking distance to the Pier 39, etc. The hotel was clean and was able to get free parking. Asked for a room away from the street as I did not care about the view. It proved to be the correct choice as it was quiet. The bed was comfortable and was able to go to sleep within minutes. Worth every penny without breaking the bank. Would not hesitate to stay here again. Oh yea, the staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Don't get a street view room.
cardiff uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Both my wife and my self stayed here 11-14 May 2013, this motel is the right side of SF, right on a bus route to take you down town or to the bay area, or walk just a few blocks to the sea front and get a great view of the Golden Gate Bridge (once the mist cleares) it the only a mile or so to the bay area, with free parking and helpful staff( tony was very nice)it made our 3 night very pleasant, the room were very spacious and clean, we were at the front of the hotel we hardly noticed the traffic, combined with the free parking and reasonable prices it a gem of a place. You will not need to drive anywhere in SF as the buses and trams are every where, so hire your car when your ready to leave, I could have save a few dollars as I didn't use the car for 3 days.

Room Tip: You will not be disappointed with any rooms, less traffic noise at the back of the motel.
Saint Peter, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The Coventry is located near several nice SF neighborhoods. There are many, many good restaurants within walking distance on Chestnut and Lumbard. The bus runs often on Chestnut and takes you to any part of the city. The coventry rooms are spacious and clean, and parking is FREE!! Front desk folks were always accomodating. I stayed for 3 days and didn't move my car. Check out the "City Pass" if you're frugal like myself. And the rate??? Your $$ goes a long way here. I loved it!

Room Tip: Vince, at the front desk, said to reserve a "2 queen" room online if you want to be assur...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Henlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I needed somewhere to stay, at the cheaper end of the scale for the first three nights of a road trip, including parking. On my last trip to SF, I treated myself to the top Trip Advisor rated hotel, and feared I was setting myself up for disappointment. Not at all!

Tony on reception was so welcoming, and showed us to the lower level parking. Our room was in exactly the requested location (after reading other reviews) and was a decent size. As others have said, the decor is a little old fashioned, but everything in the room is a far higher standard than I expected for the price. Bed was really comfy, there was a coffee maker and safe, bathroom was good, and room was bright and pleasant.

We didn't want to drive around the city, and were pleased to be able to walk to Fisherman's Wharf, the cable car stop, and various other tourist areas. There are also plenty of eateries within walking distance, and the area feels safe to walk around.

This is an ideal choice if you want pleasant and comfortable accommodation that allows you to spend more on your trip instead of the frills of a fancy hotel.

JARRETTSVILLE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I came out to San Francisco for my birthday and stayed at the Coventry Motor Inn for our 6 day/5 night stay. After seeing how expensive all of the hotels in San Francisco were, and reading many of these Tripadvisor reviews, I booked this hotel.

Although their website is ancient, I was looking forward to our trip. The hotel was a great, basic hotel. I wish we would have known they offered an airport shuttle before we arrived though, as we walked 2.5 miles with our luggage from the Bart station to the hotel (we wanted to walk and take in the scenery instead of paying a ridiculous amount for a cab). The staff was friendly when we saw them and the room was very large.

The bed--OMG the bed!--I've never wanted to take a bed home with me before-so comfortable!! The bathroom was also very large, though the shower was pretty weak in terms of water pressure. The room was clean, staff was friendly and everything was in walking distance. About a 20 minute walk to Ghirardelli Square, 30 minutes to Fisherman's Wharf, 40 to Telegraph Hill and about 20 minutes to the "crookedest street "(only because it was a giant incline the whole way), 10 minutes to the Palace of Fine Arts and a 10-15 minute bike ride to views of the Golden Gate Bridge. We even ended up walking to Chinatown one day, which took about an hour. There are a few bus stops right around the corner from the hotel. There is a little corner store literally across the street where you can get any food, drinks, liquor, or etc., some of it is just overpriced. There are some cute shops within walking distance of the hotel and a diner down the street. Definitely rent bikes from the place next door (far cheaper than in town!)

We got a room in the back of the hotel not facing Lombard street and it was very quiet! Overall, we had a great stay and I've already recommended this hotel to friends that are planning on going to San Francisco.

Room Tip: we got a back room and it was very quiet
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is a very reasonably priced hotel with a helpful staff, clean rooms, good location for public transportation access, and free parking. For the money it can't be beat. Our only complaint would be that the shower was a little on the weak side, but that was not a big deal.

Room Tip: Lombard is loud- shoot for the side street or alley.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Coventry Motor Inn? Share your experiences!