“A little dated, but a decent stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Direct and Save!!
Ranked #15 of 237 Hotels in San Francisco
Kent, England
“A little dated, but a decent stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed here 5 nights with my sister, we had a huge room with 2 double beds, a small table and 2 chairs plus a TV unit. The room itself was dated, the wall paper faded, with parts starting to peel off, but overall it clean and the beds were comfy. the only struggle we had is that we had real difficulty in turning on the 2 lamps in the room, so much so that we had to get a member of staff to show us and he even he had difficulty at first!! the bathroom was also very clean, but wished the shower had a bit more pressure.

We booked this room based on the reviews on trip advisor, mostly because it was one of the few hotel / motel in san francisco that wasn't horrifcally over priced and had generally positive reviews, the only negative would be that when i booked online I had requested a room away from Lombard Street, but instead we got a corner room which faced Lombard.

Staff on front desk were nice and friendly (? tony) he was able to give us directions to a local food store, plus local restaurants and he also told us of an area to avoid in san francisco.

Our first night we went down a few blocks for dinner, to a diner called Mel's however the food was really poor here, cold and generally not pleasant. we didn't bother to eat here again, instead choosing to eat down in pier 39 which is a 40minute walk from the hotel. for breakfast we went to an iHOP which is just a little further down from Mel's.

The only concern we had was that we met a couple in the lift on our first morning and they said they had ipads, money, jewellery stolen from their room and advised us to either lock our valubles away or take them with us for the day. How true their story is I will never know, but it's always smart not to leave valuables out on display and it did make our stay a little uncomfortable as we couldn't be sure the staff could be trusted.

Conveniently, the Big Bus Sightseeing tour company had 2 stops on Lombard Street so we could hop on and hop off just 2 blocks down the street from the Motel.

I would happily recommend this place, sure the rooms are a little dated, but they are clean, comfortable and a great place to lay your head at night

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nicosia, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

The welcome at the reception was really warm.
At first, I thought I would be disappointed, but after the warm welcome and the nice clean and
roomy room, I was really glad for my selection.
I requested a room with the view of Golden Gate and I got it.
As my room was on Lombard street, I thought it would have been very noisy at night, but I have not heard anything.
The rate was very reasonable take in mind I made the reservation only 2 weeks before.
The only downside was that I had to go to South San Francisco every day, so I had to take the bus and the train, so I needed 45 minutes.

Room Tip: A room with the view of Golden Gate.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Newburgh, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This place was great...I am so glad that I trusted all the good reviews on Trip Advisor. The rooms are large and clean as can be...yes they are dated but who cares...they are spotless!!! Free parking and WIFI....for this price....honestly cannot be beat. Plus the location was great...I almost booked the Union Square area and after seeing that area compared to Coventry Motor Inn location I was VERY thankful for booking here. You are just blocks from many great shops & restaurants and can walk to almost anything from here. I would stay again in a heartbeat!
My only minor negative was that I asked for a quiet room and they put me next to an ice machine and the elevator? So not sure how that happened....we did get our sleep interruped a few times from noisey neighbors coming in at night & from people using the ice machine. Lesson learned, next time I will ask to be moved right away.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Our friend who visits San Francisco regularly recommended the Coventry to us on our first visit to the city in 2005. When we returned in 2012 it was our first choice. the location is ideal for visitors to the city who wish to explore northern California. Being right on Lombard St it makes travel to the north of the bay, the city and the bayside and marina districts so easy for someone unfamiliar with area. The hotel itself is no frills, clean, comfortable and affordable. The stafff are welcoming and ready to help with advice and details of local events etc. The rooms are large and of a good standard (being improved between our visits) and suprisingly quiet being on such a main road. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and will, without doubt, stay there when we next visit this wonderful city.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We live about 90 minutes from San Francisco and have stayed at the Coventry probably at least 5 times over the last 10 years. To pay only $108 in 2013 for a room with free parking and free wifi is remarkable and to add in the fact it is San Francisco is mind boggling! We like the Marina area and all of the great restaurants on Union Street and Chestnut. It is fun to walk around the neighborhood and to Crissy Field. The rooms at the Coventry are very large with a table and chairs. Granted the bed may not be the most comfortable and the room can be noisy if facing Lombard but you just can't beat the price! The staff is friendly. The bathroom is large and the fixtures are new and there is even a coffee maker. This trip we tried a new breakfast place just down Lombard: The Home Plate. It was fantastic and very reasonable.

London, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

If you have a car this is the place to stay. Clean comfortable and half the price of chain hotels + free parking (Very rare in SF). If you don't mind a 10-20 walk you can get almost anwhere on foot. Nice neighbour hood with lots of options for food/nightlife. Front desk was very helpful with suggestions and reservations to hot spots.

Santa Cruz, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

If you're only staying a night or two and you're going to be out most of the time, this is a good crash pad, well located, well priced. No amenities but it was clean and comfortable - a short walk to the Marina, BATS improv, a bus ride to other places. Near good eateries like Zushi Puzzle and Greens. The management was a little snotty. (Note, I was here in 2010 or 2011, not 2012, so management may have changed.)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Coventry Motor Inn? Share your experiences!