“Great location, budget hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Buena Vista Motor Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1599 Lombard St, San Francisco, CA 94123   |
Ranked #114 of 234 Hotels in San Francisco
Arlington, Virginia
“Great location, budget hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

If you want something under $250/night, I don't think you can do much better. It's a great home base from which to sightsee — near the crooked street, waterfront, and lots of cool neighborhoods with good restaurants. The staff is very sweet; the continental breakfast perfectly adequate. And FREE parking and wifi! But this hotel will not put you in a happy, vacation-y mood. The halls seem to have a permanent icky smell, and the rooms are dark, depressing, and in need of refurbishing and repainting. Great water pressure though, and water gets hot fast.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Polish first
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed for two nights. Your standard hotel properties (marriott, sheraton, holiday, etc) were going 400-700 this past weekend so i had to dig in and do some serious research. After reading lots of reviews for several 2 star properties, i picked this one. First, the manager of the property responded to almost all reviews (good and bad) so that shows pride and investment. Second, everyone mentioned it was clean. Third, it is right across from one of the hop on/off bus stops and is in a good home base spot. Oh and did i mention FREE PARKING IN A GARAGE? The location is great, I walked, took public transit, cabs, tour buses, and drove from here to everywhere. It has access to everything you need and is in a safe area. The golden gate is a few minutes away, it's close to the marina area, the crooked street is a few blocks down, etc. The two different staff members were helpful and very nice. I basically slept here because I was gone all day from early to late eveningand the bed was what you might call hard but I call it perfect (I have a firm mattress at home). I had a room right on the street and I could hear traffic but I sleep with the TV on so it didn't hinder my sleep. Bathroom was clean and had toiletries if you needed them - shampoo, conditioner, lotion, wash, and bars of soap - I never use comforters or blankets in any hotel I am in but I examined the sheets and pillow cases and all were bright white and clean. The breakfast is fruit, pastries and coffee from what I could tell but I just had the coffee because I was on the go. The breakfast area is small but they mentioned that there is a tray in your room to use to either take food back to your room or go to the observation deck where there was more seating so you have some options. Overall I was happy with my stay and in a place like San Francisco where hotels are very expensive, this is a good functional, clean, alternative as long as you aren't looking for a resort! My ONLY con was that a previous guest had left a few 'personal' items in the nightstand. I did forget to tell the front desk on my way out (I was running late) so I hope they found it this time around!

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Kutztown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Great location, staff friendly and helpful. The double decker bus stop was right out front for sightseeing tours, we also used it for transportation to the Wharf. Parked the car and didn't use it for the entire time we were there! The rooms were clean, the breakfast was good and the Wi-Fi was free! Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

pro: beds are good, rooms are clean, perfect access to public transport, friendly service, fishermans wharf within walking distance and all together for a reasonable price
contra: it's not the ritz ;-)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Greeley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Good location if you visit San Francisco with a car. Park it here, then hike around town or get a CityPass. Long walk but doable to wharf area. Decent bus connections. Interesting restaraunts and shops a few blocks away on Chestnut or Union. This is a friendly, well run, clean motel. Staff will let you park early and continue on your exit day. Easy to get to Golden Gate bridge by car to head to wine country or Muir woods. We had the continental breakfast on the 3rd floor sun room. Room was clean, with good bed, flat screen TV, good internet Wifi but modest size. Stayed here also over a decade ago.

Room Tip: Check out 3rd floor sun room and observation deck. Parking in SF is a pain and expensive. Look at...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I recently stayed in this hotel, listed I think unfairly as low budget, it's in a great location, the bed was huge and super comfortable and the wifi was free and fast !!

The reception staff were very helpful with any questions, called us a cab with no problem and gave good tips for places to eat etc.

It's not as flashy as some places, being about 10/15 minutes drive from the city (mainly because of the crazy one ways systems in San Fran) so it can afford to be more towards the plain end decoration wise, but it was very clean, good basic amenities i.e. Coffee, tea in the room.

My room, well the shower tap was a little loose but that didn't effect it's working very well, plenty of hot water and good shower pressure and big bath to soak in, some floor tiles in the bathroom were a little rickety but that's me being picky.

Breakfast, well I won't lie, it was free with that room, it was basic, fruit, coffee (dark roast is great btw) fresh OJ and plenty of tea bags (which for an Englishman I have to say was epic !!!) cakes, croissants were the main staple food, would person all have loved the option to make toast, but let's be honest you take the free stuff for snacks during the day it for your room and go eat at one of the many locals diners for next to nothing anyway !!!

Would I stay here again ?? Most definitely, it's all you need, in a quiet area, near to the city, comfy large bed (FYI I booked a kingsize room) great wifi and super clean at a good price

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Meridianville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2014

We stayed here for 8 nights during our visit to San Francisco. My first impression was old, but clean. This is doable. San Francisco is SO expensive. This place wasn't cheap but at least I had my own bathroom! This was my first visit to San Francisco.

Location: You are on the corner of Lombard and Gough. Prime location! 20 minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf. Restaurants are in the area and easy to get to. This is stop #15 for the Hop On Hop Off Tour. You're two or three blocks from the "crooked" section.

Clean: Wow did they clean! Yes, the building is old. But carpets and bedding were all fresh and clean. There was no dust or nastiness that my husband and I saw. He's more critical about clean than I am and he said it's clean. He was satisfied and so was I.

Service: These people are AWESOME! Our first night there the young lady ordered our airport shuttle for us to save us cab fare. Another gentleman used his own Uber account and ordered a ride for us (allowing us to pay him of course). The day we left the gentleman at the desk raised the gate and allowed us to eat breakfast early. They just really went above and beyond.

Amenities: Hair dryer, cable, free wi-fi, iron, ironing board, in room coffee pot, grooming items (shampoo, conditioner, etc), vending and drink machine, free parking, free breakfast. While we didn't use the parking we did realize quickly what a value it was. Parking fees are outrageous here. Breakfast consisted of coffee, oj, muffins, pastries, bananas, and apples. While this doesn't sound like much it's very nice! You save $20 easy by eating the food provided. My husband and I aren't big breakfast people so this was perfect for us. The coffee was good. I don't think things like a pool and gym are necessary here. Just go outside and walk up one of those massive hills for a great workout! After walking most of the day we would have been too tired to use a pool anyways.

In conclusion, don't overlook this place. I would go back here if I visit San Francisco again. We've already told some of our family to stay here if they visit. I can overlook outdated furniture and if you can you will be very satisfied.

Room Tip: They will ask if you want a front room on Lombard or a back room for quiet. Choose according to your...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Andrew A, General Manager at Buena Vista Motor Inn, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear WendyL,

Our Housekeeping staff was overjoyed to hear that you recognized their efforts. We have doing a lot of renovation projects and they have had to put in the extra work to keep things clean.
I am also proud of our Front Desk staff who truly enjoys what they do. They are always telling me of the nice guests they come in contact with. They are so eager to make sure that you are taken care of so you remember your visit in our beautiful city.
Thank you for doing our job with your detailed review of everything we offer here. And we much appreciate your endorsement to your family which was very touching for us .
It would be our great pleasure to be of service to you and your family again.

Best Regards.

Andrew Andow and Staff

Been to Buena Vista Motor Inn? Share your experiences!