“I use to love this place..., not now” 3 of 5 stars

Buena Vista Motor Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1599 Lombard St, San Francisco, CA 94123   |
Ranked #114 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
PUEBLO
“I use to love this place..., not now”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I've stayed at the Buena Vista Mtor Inn many times over the years. I've always liked it because it has great staff and a very personal, down home feeling, and is in a great location with good pricing. It is a great spot for International travelers, and I alwways meet interesting people there.
But this place REALLY NEEDS to be updated and cleaned up - the wear and tear on the place is more than obvious - and there is so much that is outdated, and really just down right dirty - that I would never stay there again. I'm sure I can find a similiar place at the same rate - but one that is clean with new towels and linens and beds and rugs - and clean windows, etc., etc.
The staff was still exceptional and the continential breakfast and coffee are very nice - but the other faults outweight the positive for me.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Polish first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Thank you to all the wonderful staff at Buena Vista. San was amazing with check in, bookings of tours, information on local restaurants, what and where to see San francisco's best, photocopying maps and making sure i was aok. My back room was quaint clean and roomy and so quiet. Breakfast is basic and quite adequate - juice coffee pastries and fruit.
San Francisco tour bus stops at the front door of the hotel. local restaurants 2 minute walk to Union street, Italian restaurant sensational dining.
San Francisco is such a friendly city and my first visit started off with such smiles and welcomes at Buena Vista motor inn. The rate for accommodation was so reasonable considering I stayed the first round of America's cup trials.
Make sure you visit Union square, Chinese gardens, Haight Ashbury and wear a flower in your hair, cross the Golden gate bridge, ride the cable car and start that early as the queues get so long after lunch even week days, the incredible seafood restaurants at Fisherman's wharf, Pier 39 and be mesmerised by the local seals and buy some of the freshest tastiest fruit ever from the local market at the Pier. Many wonderful memories from this welcoming city.

Room Tip: Always ask for a back room as Lombard Street so busy and noisy.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Pasadena, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Buena Vista Motor Inn recently and we were very disappointed as we were expecting more due to the images and hotel description. We know that it is considered an affordable hotel so we weren't expecting the Ritz but it we were expecting more of a lobby since they described it as "elegant" on their site - its basically a 1980's room.

The room had a very strong perfume smell that didn't go away throughout our stay. The toiletries were minimal and they had small thin blankets to keep you warm. There were no screens on our windows so we couldn't open them - the hotel did offer A/C (wall unit). We stayed with a "street view" but bushes were impeding any type of view that we had.

The staff at the lobby was fairly accommodating - very dull personality though. The sink is disconnected from the shower so when I got ready, I would ultimately wake up my boyfriend since the bathroom wasn't in a separate room.

SF is an expensive city - would I stay there again? No, I would rather save my money and look for a different option.

**Pros: Free parking, convenient location (not much to do though).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Wasn't sure when I would arrive in The City since I was driving down the coastline from Washington State, so didn't book any room. I knew I wanted to stay in the Marina so drove on Lombard Street. As expected there are tons of hotels/motels so chose this property since it looked nice and was conveniently located. The room was OK, but definitely needed some paint since there was multiple scruff marks on the walls and one outlet didn't work since it was barely attached to the wall. No refrigerator or microwave. Guess my expectations were too high. Free parking was a nice bonus unlike properties downtown which charge an arm and a leg. Breakfast consisted of juices, coffee/tea, and store-bought pastries. Oh and some fresh fruit. You are in walking distance of the Fillmore, Union, and Chestnut Street areas, all containing very hip shops and eateries. The front desk folks weren't very knowledgeable about the area which was a bit surprising, since this is a big tourist town. Overall I would recommend, basically for OK rooms and convenience sake.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the backside since rooms facing Lombard can be rather loud.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Corby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in Sept 2012 as the cost was less than hotels located at Fisherman's Wharf. The room was comfortable, clean and good value. We found the staff helpful and the inclusive breakfast of orange juice, fruit, coffee and a variety of pastries was an added bonus. It was, also, only a short walk to the crooked street, Fishermans Wharf and local bus services. Overall a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the front of the hotel would be quieter, although we were directly overlooking Lomba...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
darrelld, Manager at Buena Vista Motor Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for your comments and for staying with us.
Maple Ridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We rolled into San Fran without pre-booking anything and found this gem. It's not the Hilton, but it was clean, friendly staff and, well, it was clean! Another big plus besides the awesome price was that there was no parking fee, which can be pretty costly. All in all, it's awesome overall value for where you are. Also worth mentioning, not sure if they are supposed to but they let us keep our vehicle in the parking garage for about an extra 5 hours after checkout, very cool!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and for your review.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

I booked the hotel from England and had quite a few schedule changes before we actually arrived. One request was to leave a motor cycle in the parking garage for a week whilst we hired a car to travel around the State. We were staying two nights then returning a week later for one night.

The staff handled all the requests and schedule changes without any problem. They kept in touch by email and sent confirmation invoices each time. They let us leave the motorcycle in the parking garage for FREE. That alone saved us about $50 a day!

Yes breakfast is in the lobby but that's no big deal. It's great coffee and fresh pastries. It worked for us and got us out quickly to see SF.

The cost of the room was amazing considering the location. We walked to Fishermans Wharf quite easily and driving back in on the 101 to the hotel was easy.

The room was great. Clean and comfortable and well furnished.

The first stay we had a wall as our view - first floor, the second stay was also at the back but on the second floor so with more daylight. Both were really quiet and I slept really well in a very comfortable bed. Hell if you are worried about the view from the hotel get outside and see the City. We only slept there anyway!

They also organise a $16 bus transfer to the airport.

The staff were great, the room was really good and the location was perfect. We would definitely stay there again. No complaints.

Been to Buena Vista Motor Inn? Share your experiences!