“Centrally located, great accommodations...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
25% Off Discount
GreenLeadersSilver level
Arcata, California
“Centrally located, great accommodations...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here for the second time in early Sept. which is a great time to visit S.F. Our unit was a 1 brdm. with a kitchenette (meaning no oven or cooktop). We were very pleased w/the unit we had....clean, A/C, plasma T.V., ok views, etc. The best part was that it is within walking distance to Union Square, Chinatown, great shops, restaurants and bus stops.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. Each time we returned they greeted us back w/smiles and a cheerful attitude. The most problematic issue may be parking. There is a parking garage about one block away that is $21.00 per day (the best deal considering the proximity).

This is a great Wyndam property...comfortable, convenient and friendly. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: always the higher floor and away from the elevator.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We rented a one bedroom unit for one week in 2011. We got a very good rate from a time share holder.The unit was huge enough for our family of five. My husband and I took the lone bedroom while the kids stayed in the sofa bed and an extra bed in the living room. The kitchen had complete cooking and eating utensils. The appliances including the refrigerator, washer and dryer were new. The bathroom was spacious with thick towels. It is in a very good location near bus stops and shopping centers. The receptionists although a bit sharp were very professional (maybe it was also because we checked in late at night). Just say no to the gift cards other freebies or else they get the opportunity to "hard sell" to you the timeshare opportunity. I would happily stay in Wyndham if I get the chance to visit SFO again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
McLean, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I almost hate to admit it, but we are in the Wyndham 'points' program, and this property in San Francisco is part of our program, as well as belonging to other programs I expect. Based on our annual 'maintenance fees' for the points we have, the cost per night to stay here is about $250 for a weeknight, and $410 for a weekend night. I must not be very smart, because we have stayed here two times, which is an indication that we must not value our points in this program very much. There are literally scores of equivalent hotels in San Francisco where you can be in luxurious settings for these prices or better .. but essentially the Wyndham canterbury is just an average hotel .. the basic rooms are small suites but not anything special, there is only a shower and not a tub, parking is ridiculous at $36 a night for valet (there are cheaper options just around the corner), there is no bar or restaurant, and you are hassled about attending presentations. The location is a reasonable, but not short, walk from BART, and there are only a few decent places to eat nearby .. but in San Fran, one of the top food towns in the world, you wouldn't want to be too limited by geography.

Mainly, it is just incredibly over priced if you are a Wyndham Resorts member .. this is just an ordinary upscale hotel room in an expensive city .. you can do much better with your points elsewhere. Our next visits to SF, we will just shop on TA or some other Internet site for a hotel, and save these expensive points for places priced more in line with other options at those locations.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We visited the Wyndham Canterbury at San Francisco on the final leg of our USA road trip. The initial impression of the hotel is very good - Good reviews on Trip Advisor, Good Location & Clean/Modern inside - however from the moment you step foot in the place it goes rapidly down hill. The staff and receptionists are obviously geared (and commission based) to get you into the 'free' complimentry breakfast so you can be issued with some 'hard sell' hence you take up the ICI timeshare opportunity the suite presents. You WILL get bombarded with phone calls, a letter, hassled at reception everytime you go past; with a promise of various freebies such as tours and a $75 gift card providing you attend the breakast. We refused from the outset - we simply wanted 3 days in San Francisco - and when the staff know you have definatly refused the 'free timeshard hard sell breakfast' there attitude towards you completely changes from one of help to one of exceptional rudeness.

As for the hotel; consider this - Would you book a hotel room or suite that was very small inside, did not housekeep your room, openly harrassed you to attend the timeshare complimentry breakfast, no coffee in the lobby and NO bath tub (shower only here) ??? You would think twice - but this is exactly what you get, or dont get at the Wyndham Canterbury - San Francisco. Ive saved this hotel from 1 star because it is a very clean hotel and does have a comfy bed but remember you are paying $190 a night for this - my advise - shop around and consider somewhere else.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

For a personal vacation my family of 4 along with an elderly aunt stayed at the Wyndham Canterbury in San Francisco. We stayed in the 3 bedroom presidential suite located on the fourth (top) floor of one of the buildings.

Check-in
We drove in from Sacramento and so we had a car to valet park and lots of luggage to unload. We arrived about 3:00 in the afternoon and was met by a doorman. I walked up to the uncrowded check-in desk, gave the man my info, and was done with the check-in process in about 10 minutes. He told me everything that I would be charged for (parking only) then gave me a number for my car and had it parked. (more about valet later).

I was then greeted by a concierge who got a bit more information and gave us a welcome gift. The welcome gift was a small bag consisting of trial products - deodorant, toothpaste, and stuff like that along with corresponding coupons.

The concierge then proceeded to hard sell us on the "breakfast" we could attend one morning in order to receive 2 days free parking. I politely declined, knowing it was a sales pitch, but she kept going. I kept declining, each time more forcefully, until she finally gave up. It took about 5 to 10 minutes of banter before that was over, but it seemed a lot longer.

The bellhop then brought our bags to our room. He was polite, professional, and very helpful.

The Suite
Our suite consisted of 3 bedrooms, two bathrooms, a full kitchen, a dining area and a TV area. It was very spacious, clean, comfortable, and well stocked. Each bedroom had its own tv to watch and a full size closet to hang stuff in if necessary.

One bedroom had a king sized bed with an attached bathroom consisting of a separate toilet area, large shower stall (with a large overhead "rain" shower fixture) and two vanities with sinks. It was well stocked with towels, toiletries, hair dryers, etc.

The other two bedrooms had queen beds in them. They shared a bathroom consisting of a single vanity, toilet, and shower stall. There are no bathtubs in the unit.

The Kitchen was well stocked with pots, pans, dishes, bowls, silverware, knives, etc. The appliances included a full size electric range/oven, Cuisinart coffee maker, toaster, large microwave, blender, full size side-by-side fridge (with water and ice dispenser), and dishwasher. Dish soap, dishwasher detergent, paper towels, etc were also provided. The unit also had a washer and dryer (including soap) which we made good use of. I'd rather take clean clothes home than dirty ones.

Valet
I hate valet... especially when it's with a rental car. I always wonder where they put the darn cars when they park them. Anyways, valet wasn't too bad. It costs $30 per day (plus about $4 per day taxes) with in-and-out privileges. In order to get your car, you have to call down to the desk 15 minutes ahead of time so they can get your car for you. I called about 4 or 5 times and each time, they were prompt and courteous. As I understand it, they have an agreement with a garage down the street. It's nice knowing that you car isn't parked illegally somewhere overnight. However, the lot is not 24 hours and so you cannot get your car prior to 6:30am unless you make special arrangements beforehand. Plus, I feel obligated to tip the person who hands me my keys. I gave him $3 each time. I don't know if I was a big spender or if the guy was cussing me out under his breathe. But heck, I am already paying $30 per day for parking!

The Amenities
The Canterbury has little by way of amenities. They put out coffee in the lobby around 7:00 each morning. There is a small game room and fitness room. Other than that, there is not much more. No pool, no restaurants, no bar, etc. The only other entertainment available is free DVD rentals in the lobby. The TV's only had basic cable -- no premium channels were available.

Free WiFi was available, provided by AT&T. It was good service. I had no problems accessing anything and the speeds were perfectly good for streaming video, reading the news, etc.

Close by are a few restaurants and stores. There is a grocery store a block behind the Canterbury, but it's prices are astronomical compared to the prices I am used to paying here in the Midwest. The street cars are near by, China town is about 5 blocks away and cabbies are always willing to take you somewhere. Just remember to turn left when leaving the Canterbury. If you turn right, you may walk into an undesirable part of town.

Overall
I really had a great experience at the Canterbury. We saved some money and cooked breakfast each day, went out touring during the day, and settled to a well deserved glass of wine each night back in the room. The room was large, neat, comfortable, and well stocked. I couldn't have expected more.

There are only 3 things that I wish were different:
1. Free or cheaper parking
2. No "breakfast" sales pitch
3. Maid service (there is none without additional cost).

I would recommend this place if you need somewhere to stay in SF.

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is a beautiful place to stay. Love the "contemporary meets historical" experience. The location is outstanding. It is a quick walk to the cable cars, restaurants, coffee shops and general necessities. We will absolutely stay again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Southern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Have stayed here twice now and both times in the 3 bdrm Presidential suites using our Wyndham points. It is located on Sutter Street which is about three short blocks west of Powell St., which seems to be the main drag to union square, many restaurants and to the Westfield Mall, and for the Powell st cable car. It is also short walking distance to Chinatown and to the financial district. To me It is a very safe area and at no time did we ever felt unsafe walking in the area during the evenings. Everyone from the bellhop to the front desk to Housekeeping were very nice and very cordial. always asking if we needed any assistance with anything. Granted, we were in the Presidential suite, so I cannot say anything about the other rooms at the hotel. But our suite was very clean and everything was in immaculate condition.

The suite consisted of three bedrooms, two master suites, a another bedroom and a bathroom just outside of that third bedroom. None of the baths had Bathtubs, so if you like soaking in a tub, forget it. It also had a full Kitchen and a full size washer and dryer which we happily used. The living room was nicely laid out with sofa and loveseat and a lounge chair. Also, a flat screen tv and dvd player with an entertainment console. Overall, very elegantly decorated.

As we did the year before we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. My title mentions one "but" and that is the Valet. They are probably the most reckless valets I have ever encountered. Two years now I have received my car back with major scrapes to the bumper and above it and dings and scratches to the doors. Both times on the day of check out and being too busy loading the car and taking off and with it raining a little, I did not notice it until I was well on my way home. Last year, I noticed that my bumper was some how pulled out from the side a bit. But I was able to push it back into place. If not for my experience working at an auto body shop during my college years I would have probably have fought with them to get it fixed.

Judging by what I have read and from my friends who have also stayed there they have all had the same experience with their cars. So I wanted to let everyone know about their valets. There is no self Parking at this hotel. The hotel contracts with a garage about a block up from the hotel. I have been to that garage to retrieve something I forgot once and was very surprised at how tight each car was to each other. It is not a very large garage.

Overall, the hotel itself is excellent and the location is very convenient to many things.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Canterbury at San Francisco? Share your experiences!