“Central location, fine value at the Regency Inn on Eddy Street” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Regency Hotel

You added Regency Hotel to your Saves list
Regency Hotel
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   587 Eddy Street, San Francisco, CA 94109 (Formerly Leslie Hotel) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #44 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Central location, fine value at the Regency Inn on Eddy Street”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

How to review the Regency Inn can be challenging, as mentioned earlier by Scottish Lassie. It seems that way too many people focus on the homeless people. Sure, you can stay less than one mile away at the Fairmont Hotel, not see any homeless people or drug addicts, but you'll pay about $675.00 per night, instead of maybe $100.00. Parking at the Fairmont is $65.00 with the required tax. So, yes, the homeless may appear unsightly, but they're really all over the place, and they don't really disappear just because you spend a lot more per night.

Similarly, I did check at the Courtyard by Marriott while I was in town, late May 2014, and they were about $250.00 + per night. All of this really needs to be taken into consideration before you start becoming overly concerned with the street people, none of whom ever bothered me, by the way.

Location: use your map, and you'll see that you're pretty much centrally located, equal distant to Fishermans, AT&T Park, Golden Gate Park, and Chinatown. The 31 bus stops right outside the front door, $2.00 / 75 cents Seniors, running east / west, between approximately the Embarcadero and Golden Gate Park. Lots of other public transit all over the place.

Staff: nice to me. They went out of their way to assist with the glitchy computer, and with local directions. Also helped a lot at departure time, as stupid Super Shuttle was way late for my airline connection.

Facility: Older hotel, but recently refurbished, within the constraints of a $100.00 hotel. All very clean and neat, plenty of water, good TV, and all of that. Bed OK, and breakfast was minimal but functional. Juice, coffee, pastry, and off to Golden Gate Park.

Hey - nice people, and they seem to appreciate your business. I'll never afford the Fairmont, would love the Marriott, but for a hundred bucks, hey, I'd head back to Eddy Street, likely via a taxi after sundown, but that would be my only concern.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

LOCATION
We chose this hotel for a one night stay, after looking at a map, and with no knowledge of the city, as it was centrally located, close to Union Square. (We already had accommodation booked elsewhere either side of this stay). It was easy to find, being right on a corner, above a mini market.

It is in Little Saigon, a Vietnamese area with a high percentage of homeless people. There are literally hundreds of Vietnamese restaurants.

I have read a few reviews where people concentrate on the area and the homeless people outside, yes that can be off-putting but as this is a review of the HOTEL, not the area, I will try to stick to that, although I appreciate the area may be a concern for a single traveller arriving at night.

VALUE
The price was fantastic, especially given the central location.

FACILITIES
It had free Wireless connection which suited me. There was no desk, so I had to sit on end of bed with laptop on cupboard surface next to TV, not ideal, however, I managed.

Breakfast on the Sunday was only served till 9.30am and we came down 9.35am, where the staff were accommodating enough to at least let us sit and have a cup of tea.

The room was very comfortable and even had a fridge and a microwave. We found the shower confusing as could only get water from the actual bath tap, a call to reception had someone up in 2 minutes to show us how to adapt it. so problem solved.

Having missed breakfast, we dined at Lee's Sandwiches, where we had cheese and ham baguettes and delightful Vietnamese Chicken Kebab, unusual for the time of day, but very tasty.

CLEANLINESS
Room was spotless. Decor was attractive, bed comfortable.

SERVICE
Staff were friendly and efficient. We checked out a little late, 11.20am instead of 11am, and this was not a problem.

WOULD I STAY AGAIN?
Yes, I would, but for safety reasons would take a taxi to and from there.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Salem, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I am a High School Pastor from Salem, OR. I took 32 of our students on a mission trip to the Tenderloin in San Francisco and stayed at The Regency Inn. It was affordable and comfortable for our group. It was such a blessing to have a good place to sleep in the middle of the Tenderloin. The owners even allowed our group to use the breakfast room to have our team time together. Our stay at The Regency Inn was great!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are a little bigger with bay windows
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Yes, you're not in the safest of neighborhoods - but SF is a big city and there are homeless people everywhere, not necessarily just here. Lots of street noise, but then again, this is a big city. I have lived in worse places! Our corner room was clean and bright and had nice bay windows on each side. Tub could use some repainting/refinishing but it was fine. Decent selection of toiletries - first place I stayed in all week that offered a toothbrush and toothpaste. Nice big flatscreen TV mounted in the corner. Good breakfast with waffles, toast, English muffins, cereal, fruit, coffee. Clean sheets, nice, king-sized bed. A "sanitary" remote control that was specially designed to keep cleaner. If you're looking for a place to lay your head for the night this is fine. Paid $25 for valet parking overnight.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Göteborg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Horrible, awful, in the worst area possible in San Francisco.
Avoid at all costs, it will let you a really bad "memory" of San Francisco as the area is full of drug dealers, people sleeping in the streets, drug addicts and screaming women.
Seriously, really really bad.
Dirty, smelly, we even saw a mouse in the "breakfast" area (if you want to call horrible coffee and a piece of bread that).
The only good thing is that it is not too expensive to get a cab to go around the place and the Union square area was relatively close although one has to walk through a quite unsafe area.
Please, do spend a little bit more and don't do the same mistake I made here!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Midland, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I can't say enough about this hotel, staff, décor, breakfast, location. there was a lot of street noise not enough to not be able to rest. The location was great. The hotel was clean & fairly recently redone. This is the exact type of hotel I wanted. I would stay here again. I would say some people may not be comfortable with the street people outside of the hotel, but everywhere I went in SF I saw street people

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Regency Hotel? Share your experiences!