“Period Hotel meets great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #10 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Flemington, New Jersey
“Period Hotel meets great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

I reserved a Queen bed room, quiet location. The room is very small and would have been tight for 2. The closet was huge [unnecessary] The bathroom was sufficient. PROS: Historical hotel setting. Within walking distance of every sight seeing destination yet cabs readily available. 24 hour coffee/cookies/apples. THE STAFF!! Each staff member made me feel welcomed and offered recommendations and help at every point. CONS: Like others have said, no A/C. if you need that stay elsewhere. They do have a ceiling fan, windows that open and ear plugs.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet or less sunny side
Green Features: Everything was marked for best practice in this regard
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, August 30, 2014
Thank you. I am glad the PROS far outweigh the CONS. Especially when the CON of not having A/C is not even missed probably 350 out of 365 days per year. The comments about the staff, however, are what really says it all. A luxury hotel with a poor staff will not be a luxury experience, but a 3 star hotel with an excellent staff make it an excellent hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

This hotel is perfect! We stayed for a few days in early July on our way to Vancouver where we were getting married. We were greeted warmly by the hotel staff and one in particular member of staff (Tina) made a point on welcoming both me and my partner and congratulating us which I thought was a really nice touch.
The rooms aren't the biggest but ours was perfect on the 15th floor overlooking union square. The bed was incredibly comfy and there was an impressive "pillow menu", not that I needed it as the bed was so comfy. The room was kept incredibly clean by the wonderful staff and we couldn't have asked for more.
The hotel couldn't be better located, there is a trolley stop and a number of convenience stores right on the door step, you're a short walk to the main shopping area and some wonderful restaurants. If you're feeling energetic, the piers and wharf are in walking distance and you get a completely different feel to the city there. This perfect hotel really does give you the best of both worlds.
We will be back in San Francisco next year and 100% will be staying in the Chancellor. Thank you for making our stay so great

Room Tip: Ask for a high up room overlooking union square
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you! Please contact Tina when you are ready to come back so we can give your booking a little extra attention.
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

This is a two star hotel with four star hotel service. The hotel is old. I admit that the rooms are decently furnished and painted, but I cannot get past the out dated hotel. There is no air conditioning, so I had to sleep with the windows open, meaning that I got to hear street noise all night. The bathroom can use an update, and the tub is kind of gross. Also, I have never gotten a twin bed in a hotel before. That is probably b/c the room is so small, and unnecessarily small, in that the room has a huge closet that if integrated into the room would easily allow two full sized beds to fit. Also, I had to pull one of the beds away from the wall to find a plug by the bed. I am not sure why they have the lamp with the plugs over on the desk and not near the bed.

I got this hotel on priceline as a 3 start hotel, but I think that regardless of how they try to dress it up, its is not a 3 star hotel. When I think of three stars, I am thinking of Courtyard, and this is just not at that level. If the room was air conditioned and had larger beds, then I could justify the three star ratings, but based on this, I can only recommend the hotel to people who come as friends and want to stay on union square.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
mreichy-
I sent you a TA direct message to see if we can correct this situation. Please contact me if you are interested in us making this right. wtyler@chancellorhotel.com or reply to the TA direct message.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Wes Tyler
York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

This was a very nice hotel, small with lots of character. The location was great, located in Union Square with cable car on the street in front of the hotel. Staff was friendly and helpful. The only issue I had was no air conditioning. Rooms had a ceiling fan. Nights were cool so if you could sleep with your windows open you would be fine. I could not due to allergies.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us.
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Great Hotel. But the parking is terrible. We chose to go the more expensive valet route and could never find a spot in front of the hotel to park our car. We also had room key that hardly worked it often took 6 or more tries to open the door. Staff was very friendly. Nice location.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Parking definitely is not our best feature. We have the small white zone in front of the hotel for passenger loading and unloading as well as valet pick up and drop off - it can get busy during peak times. Sorry about that! When one stays in a premier location like ours, we would always suggest not having a car. If you can't avoid having a car good luck. It is a battle we have been fighting since our guest stopped arriving by horse and buggy.

Thank you.
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Great location. Very good hotel. Clean. Would stay again. It was located by the cable cars and the cars go directly to fisherman's Wharf. I will stay again on my next visit to San francisco. My husband and I had no complaints about the bed . We were here just for a short stay and I must say San Francisco was nice and the horel was quite pleasant

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you. When you are going to come back, please call us direct and ask for our return guest special.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

My 11 yr old daughter and I took a 5 day trip to San Francisco before the new school year started. This hotel fit the bill perfectly. Its a beautiful, historic hotel in a fabulous shopping district close to all public transit. We decided we were going to be tourists this trip. Nearly every tour bus picks up in Union Square, and if they didn't, the cable car took you right to Fisherman's Wharf where you could definitely keep yourself busy with all the activities and tours. The hotel staff were always friendly and helpful. The hotel is well maintained with beautiful decor. The rooms were clean, comfortable and well appointed. Ours was just enough room for two. We enjoyed breakfast every day at Luques. My daughter raved about the brioche french toast with bananas. I especially enjoyed the complementary coffee & tea bar in the lobby when I would wake up at 6 am in desperate need of caffeine. I truly enjoyed our stay and cannot say enough nice things. Its a great "home base" while you visit this beautiful city.

Room Tip: In previous reviews, I had read that it was quieter on the higher floors. Lets face it, you're...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
One thing I think the Chancellor Hotel is perfect for...a parent - child getaway. The historic nature of the hotel, charm, twin beds and the location make for a memorable experience that both will cherish for years to come. Especially when they see the hotel over the years and it hardly changes from the great place that made those memories.

I hope the daughter takes the same trip with her 11 year child someday. I hear many stories from our guests that are on their second and third generation parent-child getaways. That is special.

Been to Chancellor Hotel on Union Square? Share your experiences!