“Excellent service and great room!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #9 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Carmichael, California
“Excellent service and great room!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I recently stayed at The Chancellor Hotel on Union Square for pleasure. This was a last minute stay and I had checked 4 other hotels in the area. This was my last resort. The wonderful gals Olga and Rabia at the front desk went above and beyond their normal duties to make sure I had a place to stay. This was a Friday and they only had one room available which was a much larger room than what I needed. After checking with a supervisor they were able to give me that room at the price of a smaller room. My stay was great!!! I highly recommend this Hotel for all around service (front desk gals), location, and price!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

3,572 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Palm Harbor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I read the reviews of this hotel before I booked here (and thoroughly enjoyed reading the General Managers follow up comments) so I knew I was booking at a three star hotel and not to expect five star quality. But I was surpised because this is an AMAZING three star hotel! Customer service is TOP NOTCH. I called several times before arriving and each and every time they pleasantly and patiently took care of my requests to my satisfaction and they were just as nice and responsive in person. Locaton is perfect: central and close to transportation. Rooms are on the smaller side, but so well-appointed that you don't notice. The daily service was exceptional. They were always looking for ways to deliver exceptional customer service. We enjoyed breakfast in the restaurant and drinks in the bar. Thank you so much!

Room Tip: We originally reserved a higher, quieter room but changed to street view and it was fine. We could h...
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My wife, adult daughter and I visited San Francisco for 5 days in late July.
We really enjoyed our stay here. The hotel has a great location just off Union Square. The staff are very friendly and service oriented. The rooms are very nicely furnished, the beds very comfortable. We enjoyed the quality of the food and service at the breakfast service in the cafe on the main floor. And the coffee, tea and cookie service that is in the lobby throughout the day was a nice amenity. We would go back the next

Room Tip: We asked for a corner room higher in the hotel.
Carlsbad, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

PROS: Location, cleanliness, charm
CONS: Small rooms, limited TV choices (no children's channels, limited cable choices), city noise

I've been to SF many times and knew this location was great. Two blocks from BART train (goes to both SF and Oakland airports), cable car right out the door, buses nearby (and go everywhere), taxis right at the door. Room 1104 was small-ish, but huge walk-in closet let us store our stuff in there and keep the room uncluttered. Bathroom was huge, bright, clean and great water pressure. Lighting was good for makeup. Check-in was quick and friendly, housekeeping was efficient and all common areas were clean (hall carpets were a little stained). Parking is expensive ($35 per day), but not out of line for this city. Parking garages are cheaper and located in surrounding blocks. (Don't drive in SF, anyway; too crowded and chaotic.)

Room Tip: City streets are noisy, including sidewalk musicians playing loud trumpets till 10 PM every night. A...
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Beautiful, traditional hotel in the heart of union square. Local to all the tourist hotspots - rooms are small but perfect for a city hotel and have everything you need and more. Lovely welcoming gift to celebrate our honeymoon. Perfect 5 stars

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin,Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Our very first visit to the Chancellor Hotel was in 2009, and we have been lucky enough to stay at the Chancellor many times now. And, we are already planning a return visit in April 2014. Needless to say, we love the Chancellor Hotel and its “family.” Our most recent stay was July 21-25, 2013, to celebrate three very special occasions. My husband and I celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary; my sister and her husband celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary; and my brother and his wife celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary – all in July! We chose a trip to San Francisco and the Chancellor Hotel to celebrate!!

We had a very early morning flight and arrived at the San Francisco airport around 7:30 a.m. We retrieved our luggage and caught the BART to Powell Station and made our four block walk to the Chancellor. It was the first time for my sister and her husband and my brother and his wife to visit San Francisco, so we were explaining everything they were seeing as we were riding on the BART and walking up to the Chancellor. We made it to the front desk around 9:45 a.m., clearly very early for check-in. The front desk staff was very accommodating, and they took as much information as they needed to get us checked in at that point and then took our phone numbers to call us when our rooms were ready. The bellman was right there to take any luggage that we wanted to store. We decided to eat breakfast at Luques, the restaurant in the hotel. It was delicious! After breakfast, we headed out and explored Union Square until they called to let us know that our rooms were ready. We made it back to the front desk and the clerk informed us that we were all on the 15th floor – just what we had hoped for. We got to our rooms and the bellman was there with our luggage just minutes after we got into our rooms. Upon entering our rooms, we each found waiting for us a very nice bottle of sparkling wine and a nice picture frame – gifts for our anniversaries. What a very special touch! Thank you so much!!

Our rooms were perfect. My husband and I had the Romance Suite. We felt very special and want to thank Wes, the General Manager, very much for such a generous gesture. All three rooms we had faced Union Square. It was so nice to be able to open the windows to get the fresh air and to hear the saxophone playing and the cable cars and their bells clanging when we went to bed – almost as good as a sound machine! We had no trouble sleeping any of the four nights we were there. Besides Wes and his incredible staff, another one of the reasons we enjoy the Chancellor Hotel so much is because of its historic charm. The rooms are comfortable and cozy and so full of history. It is just such a special place!

The Chancellor has some of the best personal touches available to its guests including (and I know I won’t remember all of them): clean, crisp linens; a pillow menu with several choices of pillows; a jar of mixed hard candies; a large walk-in closet with a digital safe; an umbrella; an iron and ironing board; a hair dryer in the bathroom; ceiling fans in the rooms; complimentary coffee, tea, cookies, fruit, and ice water in the lobby at all times; and the souvenir rubber duck in the bathroom was a real treat!

Yet another reason we choose the Chancellor Hotel for our stays in San Francisco is for its location and its incredible staff. For us, Union Square is right in the middle of all the things we like to do, and we can get anywhere in the city very easily by using the cable cars (right in front of the hotel), the Muni busses (two blocks away), and the BART system (four blocks away).

We want to give a big THANK YOU to Mike at the tour desk for always being there to help us with directions and advising us on which pass is the best one to purchase for our needs. Mike is also great and is always helpful when it comes to recommending places to eat and places to see. You can get everything you need, from transportation passes to tour reservations to little souvenirs, right at the tour desk in the lobby of the Chancellor. And everything he does, he does with a smile on his face! And, again, the staff of the Chancellor Hotel – from the front desk clerks, to the bellmen, to the cleaning staff - is absolutely the best! Not once did we walk through the lobby without them greeting us and asking us if we needed help with anything. Everyone was friendly and helpful. It is obvious that they all enjoy their jobs and helping people.

Overall, we give the Chancellor Hotel and its staff an A+ in all categories, and we look forward to our next trip!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth Amboy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Let me first say that I have never felt compelled to write a review of a hotel before, but I must share my thoughts on the Chancellor Hotel. From the moment I entered the lobby I knew I had made the perfect choice for our two-night stay in San Francisco. We had never been to SF before but since we were only staying two nights (pre-business trip) I had searched out a hotel that looked ‘nice’ and was affordable. I was prepared for average, but what I found at the Chancellor was excellent. I was greeted by friendly staff within seconds of entering the lobby, which is absolutely lovely! The atmosphere is welcoming, and the staff could not be more accommodating. If you’re looking for glitz, look elsewhere-- This gem exhibits old-world charm. Our room was small, yet had a large closet and all the amenities one needs. I loved everything about the room, from the comfortable bed to the deep tub (no water on the floor after showering here!) to the glass doorknobs, and it was clean, clean, clean! Did I mention location?? Couldn’t be better! The only sad part about our stay was that we could not stay longer!! From the bellhop to the front desk to the cleaning staff-- thank you, Chancellor Staff, for a job well done!

By the way, after leaving the Chancellor we moved to a hotel outside of SF (the business part of the trip).. an international chain. The hotel was HUGE, impersonal, zero character, AND our room was FREEZING-- we couldn't get the temp right. I now realize that we did not have that issue at the Chancellor. I just read that the Chancellor rooms do not have A/C-- We didn't even realize it while we were there! Our room had a ceiling fan, and we were comfortable throughout our stay.

Room Tip: We stayed on the fifth floor, which did not have a pleasant view. If you're looking for a room...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Chancellor Hotel on Union Square? Share your experiences!