“Wonderful hotel to spent time in” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #10 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“Wonderful hotel to spent time in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Older hotel, with charm, that has been keep up wonderfully. Great location on Union Square, close to resturants, shopping and transportation. Friendly professional staff were helpful with whatever we needed. The hotel and my room were immaculate and comfortable.
There were apples , cookies (which were great), tea & coffee available round the clock. Nice touch.
Breakfast in the restaurant was convenient, delicious, and not expensive.
A great choice to stay with good value

Room Tip: We stayed on the 14th floor, loved the view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The location is fantastic, close to the Bart, Tour buses and Muni buses and shops. The staff went beyond the call of duty to be helpful. The room, although small was immaculate and the bed was super comfy with a choice of pillows which was a nice touch. The bathroom featured an older style but big and deep :) bath with a rubber ducky. Although there is no tea making facilities in the room there was a huge selection of tea, coffee and hot chocolate in the foyer with fresh cookies. There was a bowl of fruit and in the evenings fresh popcorn. Even though we were right on Union Square the room was quiet. It was my husbands birthday and we arrived in our room to find a bottle of wine and a small box of chocolates. We booked this hotel based on price and location but received so much more than we expected and would recommend this to everyone. What a find

Room Tip: The higher floors are quieter
Green Features: There were notes about the hotel's eco friendly awareness
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I recently spent four days at the Chancellor and had an amazing time. We requested a twin room on a higher floor to avoid the noise other guests have mentioned. Unfortunately, the room was not as cool as I preferred and I worried that, since the hotel was sold out, I would be stuck; however, the girl at the front desk immediately offered to show us a different room to accommodate my request. It was on the 4th floor, much cooler, and the noise was not a problem. If you stay in the city, the sounds are part of the experience. The customer service was amazing from every member of the staff and we would not hesitate to return. I highly recommend the dining package and, if you have a car, the parking. You will save a ton!! My only disappointment (if you can call it that) was the peeling paint in the bathroom in our second room. It would be easy to fix and would make it feel nicer. Also, I was surprised when the initial hold placed on my credit card remained even after I checked out and the final charge went through. This could have caused a major problem at my next destination as I had budgeted just enough to cover room costs. It didn't, thankfully, and was fixed as soon as I called. Overall, a pleasant experience and great service at a wonderful hotel. We will definitely stay there the next time we travel to SF!!

• Stayed May 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I'll start with the best features of this hotel. The location is excellent and I loved the pillow options. The rooms are very nice considering the age of the hotel. I particularly liked the decor. I believe it is a good value for the location. Keep in mind there is no air conditioning, so we were forced to sleep with the windows open, which was a little noisy.

Room Tip: I had requested a quiet room and was put at the end of the hall on the 15th floor. It was very quie...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We were given complimentary champagne! Also, apples,cookies, tea & coffee free round the clock. The cable car stops right outside the door & other transit is quite close. Rooms are ample with a big closet and calming green decor. The pillow menu is another nice touch. A great choice...charming!

• Stayed May 2013
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Chancellor hotel is a rather small charming hotel near Union Square. The location is very central and convenient
We were pleased with our cosy, clean rooms. Beds are of good quality but only queen size is available and the singles are very narrow. Rooms have all comfort but are rather small.
The hotel has it own parking facility nearby, which is very convenient.
The staff is very helpful and friendly.
The breakfast is just average and the service was not optimal as we had the impression that the waitresses were students with not much experience

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed at the Chancellor for 10 nights when I was in San Fran for work. Situated opposite union square I couldn't have asked for a better location. Cable car stop outside the front of the hotel was an added bonus as well. Staff were friendly and the cleaners fantastic. Came back to a spotless room every night. People have mentioned the rooms are small, but with a sitting area, desk, wardrobe and drawers to pack away your luggage I found it very comfortable. The only advice I have is to make sure you pack your ear plugs. No fault of the hotel, just a fact of being in downtown San Francisco.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Chancellor Hotel on Union Square? Share your experiences!