“Great hotel in a great location” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #10 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Great hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I spent four nights at the Chancellor between Christmas 2012 and New Year. This my fourth stay at the hotel and, as ever, the room, the service, staff and amenities couldn't be better. And the bonus is the location - right in the heart of the city, with a cable car stop right outside the front door.

The double glazed windows are a great plus - they let the light in, and keep the noise of the city out.

I recommend the hotel without qualification to anyone visiting San Francisco on a budget. And it will be my first choice for accommodation next time I head to San Francisco.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Champaign, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Next to union square, right by cable car stop and near a lot of restaurants and bars. Room is relatively small, but you can't beat the location. The room was nice with a lot of little amenities.

Recommend for 20 or 30 somethings visiting on a budget.

• Stayed December 2012
Arcata, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Very comfortable, welcoming place in the city. Rooms a little small but clean and well appointed. Super convenient location. Reasonable rates. Loved the linens, the pillow menu, and the rubber duckie. Will stay here the next time I'm in town!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

what a lovely warm and welcoming place ! the staff were first class and the location is good too. rooms are tidy and attractive with an old-world feel to it. slightly let down by the restaurant and small bar area, but given its location that doesn't cause any issues. if your looking for a cute place in SF then look no further

Room Tip: the higher you are the more you can see , and ask to be on the front
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed 4 nights at the Chancellor in September 2012 and found the central location perfect for what we needed - right next to Union Square so perfect for shopping, close to numerous cable car routes, and walkable to numerous other locations (we walked to Fisherman's Wharf, to the Embarcadero, and also up the hills to Lombard Street).

Our room itself was small and quite dark and in need of some refurbishment in the bathroom particularly. The soundproofing between the rooms is also somewhat lacking - our first night's sleep was interrupted by a screaming baby which sounded like it was in the room with us, and our second night we were subjected to the life story of an Australian man as he had a long telephone conversation.

But there were some nice touches with the complimentary fruit, juice and coffee in the lobby every morning, and the staff were very helpful.

All in all, we felt that given the reasonable price, the location was great and we were pleased with our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Crossville, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed for two nights before Christmas 2012. Family of six so we took two rooms. Booked on Priceline. Felt that we were charged a fair room rate. I had called several days before we arrived to request at least one room with two beds. Found out then that it was going to be two twins. At the time I didn't know what to expect. Check in was fine. They had no record of my call and had booked me into two rooms, each with one bed. I was a little uptight and he explained that it was all he had. When we went to the rooms we found one was a room with two twins. When I canceled the cot he seemed surprised the room was configured that way. Oh we'll, worked out fine. The kids room had a view of the street and the park with the Macy's Xmas decorations. Our room had a view of a roof and vent pipe. We only slept in the rooms so it was okay. The hotel is old. So the rooms are smaller than we are used to and the stairs were small and steep. The place is well kept and clean. I found it to be a charming place with a great location. On a positive side note the little rubber ducks with Santa hats were cute and my 5 yr old daughter was delighted. On a negative side note we did not get much hot water. I attributed it to the place being older but when I asked my kids they had plenty in their room. I mentioned it on check out and they seemed surprised. I will take the blame for not letting them know in time to fix it. All in all we had a good stay and I would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London suburbs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have stayed here on several occasions and I have always found this hotel to be a good choice. The rooms are clean, quiet and comfortable. The location is ideal - right in the heart of town and convenient for shops, restaurants and BART. There are no coffee- making facilities in the room but early mornng coffee is provided free in the lobby. The staff have always been professional. The rooms are not particularly big or cheap but I think that they are competitive and I will almost certainly stay here again when I am next in SF.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Chancellor Hotel on Union Square? Share your experiences!