“Great Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Scarlet Huntington

You added The Scarlet Huntington to your Saves list
The Scarlet Huntington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1075 California Street, San Francisco, CA 94108 (Nob Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Park & Play!
Ranked #18 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
tokyo
“Great Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

Great boutique hotel in a wonderful location. The hotel was great, staff friendly & helpful.

Note: You have use of the spa pool, hot tub etc .. but only for 16 years and older. We had friends staying with us that had a 8 year old son who was sad that he couldn't go in the pool. My recommendation would be this a great hotel if you have older kids.

Enjoy your stay there... we did!

• Stayed August 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Sacramento
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

Have stayed here many times and previously wrote a laudatory review in 2004. This recent stay, however, was lacking.

First off, the price was high - $300 for a Deluxe room. More than I have ever paid for a hotel room outside of NYC.

When we arrived, we noticed that our room was right next to the OLD elevators. Having stayed next to the elevators before, we weren't worried. However, the bed was against the shared elevator shaft wall and that was new...and noisy. Also, the headboard was such that every time we shifted in bed, it slammed against the wall.

Add the loud people in the adjoing room--from whom we were separated only by a thin door--and unlike previous stays, it definitely did not seem like we were the only people in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

We loved the Huntington! We booked a last minute stay based on a recommendation from our friend and it was perfect. We got a deluxe room w/ 2 double beds for about $330, and valet parking was $30. Pricey but worth it!

The spa is fabulous. Great infinity edge pool, clean jacuzzi, fruit, water, and snacks, attentive service, eucalyptus steam room, and sauna. The spa facilities are complimentary for hotel guests so take advantage!

The continental breakfast is also complimentary. Great service again and fresh berries and juice, croissants, mighty leaf tea, good coffee, and ham and cheese.

We had room 1108 and it had amazing views, a very classy decor, and a modern, updated bathroom. Also robes were provided.

The location is great for walking - you can walk to Chinatown and explore, just a few blocks away.

This is quintissential san francisco, and I would definitely come back! My husband has traveled all over and he says this is one of the best hotels he's ever been in.

• Liked — Great service and elegant ambience
  • Disliked — nothing! maybe the reservation process over the phone was a little slow.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
Providence, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

We’ve come back to the Huntington after our initial stay three months ago, and it was indeed like a homecoming…Everyone knows your name! This is truly a four diamond hotel in the old world style with gracious rooms, the ultimate in location, and the integrity of a well-seasoned staff.

This hotel excells where most hotels falter: in the restaurant department. You can tell; many of the clients are the local inhabitants…they know a good place to eat. The restaurant fare is very flexible, from one of the best hamburgers you could ever want to order, to my favorite: the lamb stew. And if this all weren’t enough, there is a wonderful pianist most nights who has been there for--I believe--over 10 years, and has a loyal following. Of course, there is a more formal part of the dining room, and it too is a treat.

We highly recommend this hotel for any traveler wanting something a little special (and it’s more than just a little special).

• Liked — The Spa and Restuarant come to mind as high points.
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2007

The Huntington is by far the nicest hotel atop Nob Hill in terms of ambiance, clientele, service and amenities. From check-in to check-out every employee was gracious and friendly and everything was perfect. Our room was a large 2 bedroom suite with living room, dining room, kitchenette and 2 bathrooms. It was spotless and beautifully decorated. I loved that I could open the windows to let in the fresh ocean breeze. The Big Four was great for breakfast and an after dinner drink with live music. It's also considered a excellent place to eat dinner although we had dinner out every night. The spa was exceptional with a lovely indoor pool/hot tub and balcony where a spa breakfast or lunch can be served. the concierge services were very professional and the doormen and bellmen kept things running very smoothly. I would certainly return on my next trip to SF.

• Liked — Big, fluffy, comfy beds.
  • Disliked — It was all excellent!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lake Tahoe, CA, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2007

We (me, hubby and 8 year old daughter) decided to leave the snow of Lake Tahoe for a weekend of culture in San Francisco, seeing a play and the Nutcracker ballet. We booked the Huntington as we are members of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World, and we knew anything closer to Uniion Square would be way too noisy. The location at the top of Nob Hill is great -- our room (1010) was HUGE and had views over the city -- could even see a portion of the big tree in Union Square. They put a roll away bed in for our daughter and the room was still very spacious. It was fairly recently renovated, with plush linens (bed and bath), a large double sink area outside the toilet/tub room, a couch, coffe table 2 club chairs and a desk, as well as a miibar w/ small sink. The TV in the armoir was dated (not a flat screen), but got good reception.

Walking up and down Nob Hill is great exercise, but if the hills are too much for you, the California St. cable car line is literally right out the door and the Powell St line (the one that goes from Union Square down to Fisherman's Wharf) is only a few blocks away. We parked in a nerby garage for $30/day and didn't move the car until we left 3 days later -- you can valet the car for the same price.

We did not use the conceirge to make any reservations -- since we were there over New Years I had previously booked via OpenTable.com -- but he was very helpful in looking up movie times (and trying to get us into a hot resaurant near the Metreon on about 10 minutes notice, unsucessfully, but we did appreciate the attempt). He also directed us to nearby breakfast spots.

I love staying in older, more architecturally unique hotels and the Huntington fits the bill. I love the fact that the windows open, yet when closed the city noises are almost completly obliterated. Having a window opened on New Year's eve allowed me (hubby and 8 year old fell asleep about 11!) to hear the festivities, and the location allowed a filtered view of the fireworks over the Bay, but when I was ready to go to sleep, all I had to do was pull the window shut and no more party sounds! We heard NO noises from outside our room, although I can't guarantee that the people in 910 didn't hear our daughter jumping around.

The ony reasons I didn't give the Huntington a full five stars were minor: no coffee or tea in the lobby in the morning, although they do have hot apple cider in the afternoon; the doormen and bellmen were not as attentive as one would expect in a 5* hotel

I'd definitely stay at theHuntignton again -- but next time I'm booking a spa treatment for the aching legs after walking all over San Francisco!

• Liked — HUGE room w/ a view
  • Disliked — I liked just about everything
  • Tips/Secrets — bring comfy walking shoes - the hotel is on the top of a steep hill
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
saint louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2006

We have stayed at the Huntington several times and each time we have noticed a decline in the quality of the room and service. I first attempted to book a two bedroom suite for our party of five (three older children) and was told they did not offer them. I was told I "would be better off" getting two adjoining rooms and they would be of equal quality. After several days I called back to confirm that the two rooms had park views and were the highest level of room available; ie, no two bedroom suite. After a rather exhaustive conversation with the reservation assistant ,I was told there was a two bedroom suite but that it was not really worth the money. I assured him I needed the space and it was up to me to decide if it was worth it. Upon check-in I waited 5 minutes while the front desk person assured a guest on the phone that the room he/she was staying in was renovated and there were no other rooms available. Red flag number one. Our one bedroom suite, room 804 was nicely renovated and faced the park. The adjoining room was "renovated" sometime in the 70s and lacked any ounce of charm. I can't imagine renting that room-- room 803. But overall, the size of our rooms were nice and they faced the park. The noise level is high and we were woken by someone showering overhead at 4 am. There is no sound barrier between floors or between rooms so if you are not a heavy sleeper, beware!
My second complaint is with the concierge desk. Before arriving, I emailed my dinner requests to the concierge noting the restaurants and preferred times. They did not call back and I had to call them to confirm they had even received my email; and yes, they had booked one of them for a wrong night. Once in San Francisco I arrive at Kokarri for my first dinner (with my handwritten note from the concierge listing the date and time) and was told they had no reservation. After attempting to call the concierge and receiving a voice mail three times, the restaurant graciously seated us during a very busy night. The next day we asked for breakfast suggestions within walking distance of the Alcatraz pier. The concierge directed us to place that was at the wrong pier and not within walking distance; her response later was oops, wrong pier!
My final complaint is with the shipping/receiving deparment. I had a package sent and paid overnight charges to have it arrive during our 4 night stay. The front desk repeatedly told me there was no package. Once I returned home I found that it had been delivered- on the first hight of our stay-- but he could not find me in the system. While on the phone with him, he miracously "found" me in the system and asked what I wanted to do with the package that had been sitting there for 4 days.
The bright note to our stay was James, the bellman at the front. His kind smile and attentive service were the highlights of our stay.
We chose the hotel for its nice location and were willing to give up some amenities and nicer rooms for the level of service we had received in the past. Unfortunately the level of service now matches the decor of Room 803!

• Liked — view of the park and water
  • Disliked — noisy rooms and outdated decor
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Scarlet Huntington? Share your experiences!