“The Huntington Hotel offers the perfect San Francisco experience - I wouldn't stay anywhere else!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Scarlet Huntington

You added The Scarlet Huntington to your Saves list
The Scarlet Huntington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1075 California Street, San Francisco, CA 94108 (Nob Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Park&Play!
Ranked #12 of 234 Hotels in San Francisco
Midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

The Huntington should be rated much higher - definitely among the Top 3 hotels in San Francisco. The hotel is elegant, clean and updated. It doesn't feel or look like a run-of-the-mill commercial hotel nor is it akin to any of the hit-or-miss boutiques. It's really the best of both worlds - a clean upscale service hotel with the charm and hospitality of a small San Francisco boutique.

Take note of the wonderful staff at Huntington. The service staff are efficient and down-to-earth (a surprise on your pillow every night), and the doormen, bell and concierge are fantastic. When we arrived, the front desk gave us a warm welcome and even offered some great suggestions for a Hawaii vacation (plus we got an upgrade on our room!). The front desk (wish I had his name) was truly, truly wonderful and had a great personality.

The hotel's location is perfect. It's gracefully situated in the beautiful and quiet neighborhood of Nob Hill, one of the most desirable areas in the city. You can use car service to get around, but a cable car (the California) is right outside the front entrance, but China Town and Union Square are within walking distance. We had no trouble at all walking the steep streets of Nob Hill - it was actually quite fun and part of the whole San Francisco experience!

Our room overlooked Huntington Park and Grace Cathedral. Peet's Coffee is located in the Cathedral, and the famous Sears Fine Foods is not far. In the morning, you can join the Chinese for Tai Chi classes in the park, swim in the hotel infinity pool, or take advantage of the Yoga classes or other spa offerings at the hotel's Nob Hill Spa.

This is a great hotel. We researched dozens of hotels before happily finding The Huntington. If you've been researching the many hotels of San Francisco and are still undecided, I would say stop looking and book The Huntington now. Our stay at The Huntington was refreshing and made our whole San Francisco vacation enjoyable and relaxing. We loved it!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
boston, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

I'm guessing by the other reviews that there are good rooms in this hotel and bad ones. I was able to get a good room and was very pleased with my stay at the Huntington. I got a great deal on hotels.com ($99 on a $225 room), so I figured I would be in for one of the bad rooms. While checking in, I asked if it was possible to get a room with city views and I was given a complimentary upgrade. Our room was spacious (I've seen apartments that were smaller) with a sitting area, tv, desk, fridge, etc. The view was great! We could see Coit Tower from our window.

The hotel is at the very top of Nob Hill, which is one of those incredibly steep hills San Francisco is known for. Luckily there is a cable car stop right in front of the hotel and taxi's are an easy and affordable way to get around.

Nob Hill is a very quiet neighborhood with old world luxury hotel. The Intercontinental Mark Hopkins and the Fairmont are both in the same square as the Huntington. While these hotels are way more luxurious, the Huntington is a great bargain in a beautiful part of San Francisco.

There isn't much nightlife in Nob Hill, but there are two great hotel bars if you want to grab a drink after a long day of hill climbing and sightseeing. The Top of the Mark is a fabulous place with a lot of class and charm. They have nightly entertainment, and on the night we went there was a swing band. To my amazement, there was a large number of people out on the dance floor swing dancing (and these folks weren't messing around!). The couples ranged in ages from early 30's to late 70's. I felt like we had stepped back in time. We had some delicious martini's and even danced a bit, which was a lot of fun.

The other hotel bar that is great is Tonga at the Fairmont. They also have nightly entertainment - The Island Groove, which is a band that plays reggae and rock hits. Tonga is set up like a Tiki Hut with the stage for the band in the middle of pool. The cocktails are more island themed. I had a delicious banana daiquiri!

The Huntington has a hotel bar called the Big 4 which plays piano music. The scene was much more subdued there and it's very dark. We didn't go in, but it didn't look quite as lively as the other two bars in the area.

One last note on the parking - it's very expensive at the hotel! We parked at the Grace Cathedral garage across the street for $27/night (the hotel charges $40). You can drop your bags off at the front of the hotel and then self park to save yourself some money.

For the price we paid, I would definitely stay at the Huntington again. I don't know that I would recommend paying $225 a night though, since I'm sure you could find great deals for the money elsewhere.

Cork,Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

We were on our honeymoon and this hotel was great. We booked it on a special rate of only 125 dollars per night. It was either alpharooms or booking.com. Each evening the bar was nice and busy with a great atmosphere helped by the piano playing the background. Food was excellent. Room was perfect and I preferred this hotel to the hotel we were just in, the Four Sesons in Las Vegas so it tells you how great this place is.

A free business center on the first floor is handy to look up the sites and see what you are going to do for the day.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Bean777
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

I couldn’t imagine anyone giving this hotel a bad review. If you want commercialized luxury with a cheesy lounge act and extremely overpriced drinks stay at the Mark Hopkins two blocks down.

If you want to step back in time to a place of classic luxury and grace, with personalized service, a welcoming staff, and people who remember you from day one, then stay at the Huntington.

We spent the weekend at the Huntington for my husbands 55th birthday and we were upgraded to a suite when we arrived. The living room was spacious, the furniture adorable, and we couldn’t believe the view. It was fun to get up in the morning and watch the folks in the park doing yoga and watching the sun set over the bay in the evenings.

I realize that in the current culture of new, new, new some reviewers may feel the need to use terms like “dated” etc. But when you want to get away to quiet comfort, and enjoy spectacular views from a room that will bring you back to the 1930's, this is the place to be (and rumor has it the place where many famous names also have chosen to be from time to time). There are no jetted tubs, no kitschy nonsense in the bathrooms. The building was built in the nineteen-twenties and it’s supposed to look that way – nothing kills me more than a building that’s full of Historic Charm on the outside and in the lobby, and then looks like a ritzy Holiday Inn when you step inside your room. Here there are just extremely deep soaking tubs in the bathroom with showers where you can stand under the luxurious spray and watch the park from your open window. There are overstuffed chairs and couches with reading lamps all over the place and dark woods that transport you into a world where Greta Garbo or Clark Gable might meet you coming up the stairs.

The hotel is walking distance to so many fantastic attractions and the cable car is right out the front door. If you’re into a “party” atmosphere or you want 400 bell hops at your beck and call because you have a severe “me” complex, then I’m begging you to stay away from this treasure of a hotel, so it doesn’t get any more bad reviews from people with narrow vision who can’t appreciate San Francisco’s amazing history.

If you want to be greeted by a fantastic (and dare I say handsome and charming) group of gentlemen at the door every morning and every evening; if you want to come back to your room at the end of a long night and be greeted by two fresh water bottles, a bed that’s been turned down for you, robes that have been hung up and a room temperature that’s been adjusted to anticipate your comfort while sleeping; if you want an evening person at the desk to make sure you have a few Tums when you need them after a couple of glasses of wine; if you want Danny to recommend the gospel choir at Glide (sp?) church; if you want Trey at the bar to mix you up an amazing drink with special touches you hadn’t even thought of like fresh melon; if you want to hang out in a classy bar with a glass of wine and regulars who have lived in the city for 40+ years; if you want a hotel that will cater to those who want to get out and explore the city and then come back and relax in the spa (excellent spa staff as well, I forgot my swimsuit and they were kind enough to provide me with one); then the Huntington will be an experience you won’t soon forget.

The Huntington is truly unique. An experience that takes you back to a bygone era with enough class and luxury to keep you feeling pampered. Even if they make little adjustments here and there as the years go on I hope they never lose that feeling of authenticity and a desire to pamper their guests.

If I had to sum it up I’d say it was nice to stay in a hotel that didn’t recommend I buy the bathrobe in the closet for $130. The Huntington treats you like a guest not a charge card.

I give it 5 stars. A hotel that veers away from our cultures adoloscent "amuse me" mentality and caters to a more sophisticated audience. Great for romantic weekends, girls getaways (you'll love the spa ladies), and anyone who wants to experience San Francisco the way it was meant to be.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

All I can say is, I love the Huntington. Always have. My first visit here in several years did not disappoint. I have been coming here since I first came with my family in the ‘70’s, and it is still the classiest place in SF. Old school charm mixed with modern elegance. Perfect service with knowledgeable veteran concierges. Cruising through a rockin’ Big Four for some music and a late night manhattan is still the way to end your day, although I was disappointed I didn’t get to grab a steak while I was there. Rooms were solid; I couldn’t believe how updated the bathrooms were. And the l’Occitane products were about twice the size as the ones you get at a Four Seasons. Nob Hill is the most interesting area to stay in, and while I have enjoyed the Fairmont and the Mark Hopkins, the Huntington is still king.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

My wife and I just returned from our visit to San Francisco. We loved our stay at the Huntington Hotel. We would return to the hotel in a heartbeat on a return trip.
Positives:
-- Service = From the front desk, to the doormen, to the courtesy driver (great job Ursula!), to the maids, all were beyond courteous and helpful. We were given an upgrade at check-in (which always helps). We loved that as nice as this hotel is there is no pretentious attitude among the staff. Very friendly (especially the doormen).
-- Location = This is really where this hotel excels. It sits atop Nob Hill (safe and beautiful), overlooks a beautiful park and Cathedral, sits next to both main Cable Car lines, and is central to basically everything. The only other hotels that can claim this would be the Fairmont and Mark Hopkins. I would not want to stay anywhere else in San Fran besides Nob Hill.
-- Rooms = Our room was recently updated. This was probably the only slight disappointment for us. The bed was comfy and great. The room very nice and clean. But, the decor (a bit modern) doesn't fit the rest of the hotel (traditional). This is most true in the bathroom. The bathroom was a bit small for a 4* hotel. The shower is a nice size, but water gets everywhere (a serious design flaw), and there is absolutely no vanity. ONly a modern looking sink. There was nowhere to put your toiletries, etc. This was obviously planned to fit the modern decor, but is very inconvenient.
-- Overall = The hotel is a great stay for anyone visiting San Fran. The feel, location, people, and cleanliness far outweigh a poorly designed bathroom. We look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

This is a very nice, old school hotel. People were not snobbish at all. We booked thru hotels.com for a Saturday night visit. Rate was amazing - $125. Work ended early for me in Sacramento on Fri. so I called the hotel (not hotels.com) and they gave me the same rate for Friday. Off to a great start. When I checked in, I found that they gave us a room on 8th floor (bldg. is 11 storeys) overlooking the park and SF Bay. Amazing view. Room was spacious, clean, tastefully decorated and huge bathroom. Pleasantly surprised that we were not stuck over a dumpster looking into an alley. Point being, is at least when we stayed, they did not appear to distinguish between hotels.com and other guests. Bar was old school and very pleasant. Forget bartender's name, but he was from upstate NY and very pleasant. He works (I think) Fri. and Sat. nights. Also, Jason the bellhop (from Chicago) was nice/helpful, as was concierge, who directed me to the Hyde Out (Hyde and Calif.) for a solid gin mill to catch the Celtics game and have a few pints. Finally, one of the very cool things is cable car stops right in front. In sum I would say upscale hotel without the upscale attitude. It exceeded every expectation.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Scarlet Huntington? Share your experiences!