“Historic building, very nice location, good for business meetings, on the cable car lines (Nob Hill is steep!)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #61 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Naperville, Illinois, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I had business meetings in San Francisco, and my host selected the Mark Hopkins as the meeting location and arranged a group discount. Located on the top of Nob Hill, the Mark Hopkins is a beautiful vintage hotel. The guest rooms, meeting rooms, and the overall location were excellent. I am glad I stayed here and I would love to come back.

Room. I stayed in a generously sized room, with a king-sized bed, master bathroom, and a view of California St. I had a nice desk area with both fixed and WIFI internet. The WIFI was included in my room price; it was slow at night but a little faster in the morning. The flatscreen TV was nice enough, but the TV service was poor: more than half of the channels were "pixelated" and virtually unwatchable -- channel 60, The Golf Channel, did however work. One other problem, something was wrong with the flusher in my toilet; it made a really loud noise when I flushed. ... All of these are just the usual problems I put up with when traveling; not a show stopper.

Hotel. This renaissance style building is from the mid-1920s; it was most recently remodeled in the early 2000s. Our meetings included breakfast and lunch on the 19th floor restaurant, named Top of the Mark. It was really nice; beautiful views, very nicely laid out floor space, and excellent buffet service. This floor was featured in the movie, Veritgo, by Alfred Hitchcock and the hotel staff was proud to talk about it.

Steep hills! Take cable cars! So being on the top of Nob Hill is good and bad. The views are great! The surrounding neighborhood is beautiful to walk through, but if you want to take a short walk to Union Square or a slightly longer walk to the Ferry Building (Market and Embarcadero Streets), the return walk, back up the hill is gruelingly difficult. The Nob Hill is very steep! After my first somewhat failed walk, I planned my next two walks to end at a cable car stop. I walked down and then took either the California or Powell line cable car back up to the hotel.

Cable Car tour. One evening after my dinner meetings, I walked down to Union Square, caught the Powell/Hyde cable car all the way North up to Fisherman's Wharf. I walked along the wharf area for awhile, then caught the Embarcadero Heritage Streetcar for a ride along the bay all the way South to the Ferry Building. I took some nice pictures of the clock tower and the Oakland Bay Bridge, and then I walked over to the California St Cable Car queue and rode back up the hill to the hotel.

Airport to Hotel. For this trip, I only used public transportation. I took the BART from SFO airport to the Embarcadero station. From there, the hotel is walking distance, but the hill is too steep for me, so I took a taxi about a mile to the hotel. Leaving for home, I took the California Line cable car from my hotel to the Embarcadero station and then took the BART back to the airport.

Room Tip: You are close enough to walk almost anywhere, but beware of the hills, they are steep. Plan your wa...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

A good hotel. The service is good. The room has a good size, but the bathroom is too small. We were 2 adults and 2 children and for our family, we need more space in the bathroom. The location is good, near of Union Square, but how the hotel is in the hill, you need a car or cable car to return to the hotel.

Room Tip: I choose a room with view and the view was perfect!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here several times through the years. The hotel has a long fabeled history. As with most older hotels the room experience can be variable. I had a very nice corner room that was very large. The room was well appointed including a Keurig Coffee Maker. The bed was comfortable. The checkin experience was very pleasant as was all the staff.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Ancaster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We use to go to San Francisco several times a year, and we elected the Mark Hopkins as our second home there. A historical landmark, this Intercontinental hotel is conveniently located in Nob Hill, close to Grace Church and across the Fairmont Hotel, another landmark. We have been touched by the charm and nostalgic grandeur of this wonderful hotel, and have always been more than happy with the quality, quietness, cleanliness of the bedrooms and outstanding service we received. It got even better when booking the Club rooms which provide a private member’s area where breakfast and all day long collations are made available to guests, certainly the best we experienced compared to competing chains. If you’ve never been to the Mark Hopkins, you have to try the Top of the Mark, this iconic lounge bar with a 1930’s flavor, which will give you the funny feeling that time has stopped. Joining the Ambassador program gave us access to automatic upgrades, with larger bedrooms, making our experience even better. I have to write this review as this stay has been the most outstanding we ever had. It’s already heartwarming to be welcome at the front desk by smiling staff that you have known for years (which is also a good sign of stability), and I want to extend special thanks to Marie-Helene, our Concierge, and to Adelaide at the front desk, for going above and beyond. It is our anniversary this weekend, and we have been upgraded to an amazing room, treated and pampered with perks and champagne. Memorable and couldn’t be better.

Room Tip: Better to be away from the elevators and ask for a higher floor. Lower floors on the street can be n...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Beautiful location, and SF landmark that hasn't lost its charm. Rooms are beautifully appointed, immaculate, and the beds and linens out of this world soundproof and amazing views. Staff is helpful friendly and not intrusive. I will stay at this hotel again and again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We were lucky enough to "win" the InterContinental Mark Hopkins on Hotwire when we got stuck in San Fran for an extra night due to a flight cancellation. We got a great rate for our one night stay. The first thing to note is that there are two different InterContinental Hotels in San Fran, so check which one you're staying in. Secondly, the Nob Hill area, is a very cool, neighborhood-y place in San Fran, but be warned, "Hill" is an understatement. When we dragged our bags up the (no more than 8) blocks from our old hotel, we were seriously hurting! The cable car is right outside the door, which adds to the charm (although given that the cable is constantly running, it could be annoying to some). The lobby is charming, and there is even a little museum in the lobby, which shows the origins/history of the Hotel, which I thought was kind of neat. The hotel room was pretty basic, and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable, and the bath products were lovely, although the water pressure in the shower left a lot to be desired. We went to the "Top of the Mark" (the restaurant at the top of the hotel) for drinks and a view over the whole city. The extensive "martini" list which they are well-known for, isn't actually all martinis, and they are quite pricey (I think all 14-15 dollars, I forget the exact amount). Although the view out the window is great, the restaurant itself is in major need of renovation. The decor in the restaurant looks like a banquet hall last renovated in the 80s. The service at the hotel was good, and they arranged a car to take us to the airport for $50, which is about average. A decent hotel, glad we could see a different area of the city, but probably not our first pick of where to stay in a city with a bunch of great hotels.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Andover, Kansas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Beautiful vintage hotel! We booked this hotel at the last minute when we decided to stay overnight in San Francisco. We belong to the IHG hotel group to get discounts so when we checked in they upgraded our room to a suite! The bathroom was as big as some rooms in other hotels. There was a soaking tub and huge shower. It was a corner suite the view was absolutely amazing. I wish we were staying longer. We also had breakfast at the Top of The Mark, it was great!

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco? Share your experiences!