“Worth the climb” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #58 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
Newcastle, Australia
“Worth the climb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Excellent location on Nobb's Hill. You get the exercise climbing the hill. Great views & excellent cocktails. Close to the famous cable car for trip to fisherman's Wharf. Hotel was good at given hints & advice.

Room Tip: Quiet ambience so all rooms good.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I just returned from a 2 night stay at the Intercontinental Mark Hopkins in San Francisco. I am a female, solo business traveller and I felt very safe and secure at the hotel. I stayed on the 11th floor and my room had a beautiful view, a very comfortable bed and a spacious bathroom. The room was immaculate and very quiet. The Top of the Mark was very nice for lunch (although the atmosphere was a bit "cold") but I found myself missing a cozy bar/restaurant in the lobby of the hotel. The walk up and down to Union Square is always great to get the heart rate going. I met three "older" ladies on my way up one night and they were having a bit of a hard time. This might not be the best location if you cannot walk steep hills, up or down. SF is a walking city and you do not want to always rely on taxi's. I walked from the hotel over to the Marina district (Chestnut Street) and it was fabulous. Make sure you try the Slanted Door for dinner one night in the Ferry Building. It is fantastic. I would stay at the Mark Hopkins again, it is a lovely SF hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Intercontinental Mark Hopkins in SF. We absolutely loved the hotel! Our room was very spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was clean and the bed was awesome! Our room was on the 12th floor and had wonderful views of the city. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted by a friendly staff and had a speedy check-in. We were celebrating our first wedding anniversary and the front desk staff wished us well and noted it. Later that evening we received a card from the hotel and some delicious strawberries wishing us a "Happy Anniversary" from the Mark Hopkins. It was a perfect weekend and we are so pleased that we chose to stay here for this memorable occasion. We will definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Central Point, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here for two weeks for business in late November/ early December. The hotel is truly beautiful during Christmas. The Mark is exactly what one should expect from a 4-5 star hotel. The service was great the rooms were clean with very comfy bedding and the bathroom was big enough for for two girls to be staying for two weeks. I have not one bad thing to say about this place after spending the longest stretch I have ever spent in one hotel - this fact alone I think speaks volumes.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed in the Mark Hopkins for our anniversary trip. The Hotel is Excellent, the service is impeccable. From the valet, to the maids to the concierge. The doorman are very helpful and friendly, the hotel is elegant, refined and has a nostalgic feeling of greatness. The room was very spacious, the bed is so comfortable, I can say is the best I have ever slept in. Of course the Top of The Mark adds a big value, an evening with the view and cocktails are a must. The area, Nob Hill, is very close to the main attractions, it has a line of street car that pass in front of the hotel. Over all, is an excellent hotel, will stay again, would definitely recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 13 floor, the view was spectacular.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights and had the best experience. Every associate we encountered was upbeat, positive and ready to assist. It's our first time to stay at this hotel, although not our first visit to SF. We will definitely be back. Really enjoyed our room on the 11th floor with incredible views and the Club Lounge which was great to come back to after our treks through the city.

Can't say enough good things about the hotel, management and staff from accommodations to food to drinks.

Room Tip: upgrade to the Club Lounge; well worth the added amenities.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hunt, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This review has been hard to write. First the location on Nob Hill may have been prestigeous in history, but today it is out of the way for those wanting the true walk about San Francisco experience. The trolleys do have a stop behind the hotel and down the hill which allows for a great ride, but you still must wait in long lines to get on. Forget about the Top of the Mark being something other than a wonderful view. The once famous hot spot is now just the basic hotel restaurant. You know the one they have to have to earn a certain star. Think running children and cheap placemats. A diner with a view. The hotel rooms were nice and I would give them an above average for decor and comfort. We had a lovely front facing bay view. However do not expect any internet! Remember we are in the heartland of the U.S. computer industry. For some reason this property was left in the 19...(when did we not have internet)! The hotel entrance was a traffic disaster with cars almost to the front door, juggling valets, bellhops, conventioneers and tourists. The lobby was tiny and as there was a convention in full swing in this relatively small hotel the convention overflowed into the lobby so there was no other guest seating, or corner to hide. The desk staff had attitudes and were most unhelpful and surely. When I asked for a manager an arrogant desk clerk claimed the title and was no help. I travel a lot so I demanded to see the true full manager of the hotel. I am a paying Intercontinental Loyalty member so I made a few calls and wham, the "Twist". An incredible, helpful, friendly capable manager! She came to our room to listen to our complaints and then acknowledged our concerns, apologized for the true and lousy internet (complete new system on the board for Jamuary, 2013), the lack of any gracious dining, rude desk help etc... She knew our complaints were not frivolous and made arrangements for a car and driver to take us to the sister Intercontinental in the Financial district which has quality internet and a gourmet restaurant, full facilities and a pool. This was a true Intercontinental. I realize all chain hotels and locations are different, however at the level of the chain there should be some consistant standards, and the Mark Hopkins has been left to live off of its history and former glory.. Intercontinental I hope you give your dedicated manager something concrete to work with and allow investment in this historic property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco? Share your experiences!