“The Mark Hopkins InterContinental is the best!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #61 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Redlands, California
“The Mark Hopkins InterContinental is the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I don't know where to start about how great "The Mark" is. The staff, the food, the character of the hotel, the views...everything! Beautiful. We love it and come back often. If I started to list all of the virtues of this wonderful hotel, I would write a dozen or more pages. Let's keep it simple: "The Mark" is simply the best run hotel in San Francisco. Period.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We spent Labor Day weekend at the Mark Hopkins. As anyone who ventures to San Francisco often knows, hotels are plentiful but expensive. For example, on a recent business trip, I paid $600 for a quirky room near Moscone Center. We struggled to find an affordable ($300 or less) for our weekend get-away. We were looking for a centrally located place. I had always been curious about the Hopkins and the Top of the Mark restaurant. Neither disappointed. The room was well-appointed--not huge but comfortable. The bathroom appeared to be recently refurbished. We had breakfast in Top of the Mark which has spectacular reviews of the city. The hotel staff was extremely nice and helpful--especially the doormen and bell staff. They provided great directions and tips on fares to the airport. My special request for foam pillows was fulfilled immediately upon check-in. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying on a high floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

I am a picky picky person that looks @ things like bathroom floor corners & window sills to judge places.
That being said I was not disappointed in such a clean room & bathroom. I desperately sought a nasty speck & was VERY surprised/pleased !! We are not fancy or upscale- we are a jeans & tshirts type family & LOVE that the service didn't sway based off of our relaxed appearance.
Service was super especially the super nice guy that worked the mornings in the VIP lounge! The bellman were awesome.
Funny if you have a rental car to enter the valet area you literally are driving over the curb of the street corner.
The view was AMAZING & we were only on the 5th floor.
My only negative comments are the whistle of the bellman calling over cabs for the taxi line could be heard through the vintage pane windows all hours from our room & a weird observance was the doors of the rooms on our floor & service doors MUCH needed replacement/over haul. The $50 valet fee could easily help replace/update doors.
If you stay here a car rental is pointless UNLESS you have to drive out of downtown to Oakland etc. cabs are so easy & not too pricy - we wasted almost $300 on a car rental we really didn't use + $50 daily valet fee.
The hotel is atop a hill/hills & we are a mid thirties family w a 8yr old. We walked to the embarcadero but walking back was NOT physically possible w blisters & the uphill walk- TAXI!!
Also if you want munchies or don't want a fancy dinner EVERY night Vito's delivers decent priced large portions to avoid pricy room service.
I would not hesitate to return here without risking a sketchy experience elsewhere.
I actually can't wait to be back @ mark Hopkins 80s/90s motif luxury hotel!

• Stayed September 2012
Sao Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I decided to stay at the Mark Hopkins only as a "family" tradition. This is the place my father used to stay whenever he was in SF.

I must say I was a bit disappointed, though.

The service is good - not great. But the overall condition of the hotel seems to transpire a feeling of decay - as a place whose best days were in the past. The room was clean but quite old (looks like they're modernizing them, though). The breakfast was not up to the ones you'll get at the same category.

But of course it's still a great hotel. And the location is fantastic. The Top of the Hill is an attraction on its own - and having breakfast looking at all of San Francisco from above is one those unique experiences we have to be grateful for it.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
San Ramon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

The wife and I had a great time in SF and we were extremely satisfied in our room at the Mark Hopkins. The room had amazing views from the14th floor and was relatively close to everything we were looking to enjoy. The Room was clean, modern, cozy and the service was great from check-in to maid service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Spent labor day weekend at the Mark Hopkins. The service was remarkable. Caroline in housekeeping was AMAZING. And seriously with the help of her and the amazing concierge desk, all our requests were made possible. Everyone at the hotel truly makes you feel at home. Never before have I encountered such fantastic service.

Also we spent our anniversary there and upon returning to our room they had a dessert tray congratulating us. So incredibly thoughtful :)

Would definitely go back and recommend to all my friends.

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher floors have the better views of the city! If you have time head up to the To...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I chose the Mark Hopkins for my short San Francisco visit because I love older hotels with character and charm. And, I got a good advance rate on hotels.com. Sometimes such hotels don't live up to expectations, but in this case, I wasn't disappointed. Lobby, room, service, ambiance -- all were worth the price to me. There's even a little "museum" off the hotel lobby giving some history of this historic building. One disappointment: No free wifi. I wanted something a little special for this trip and all in all was pleased with my choice.

On the top of the hill, this hotel is a steep hike down to see San Francisco sights and back up at the end of the day. The cable car is an option since both the California and Powell Street lines are nearby.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco? Share your experiences!