“Two star service at five star prices” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #62 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Two star service at five star prices”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

The hotel is in a beautiful location, convenient to the cable cars on Russian Hill. It is well-known for its fabulous Sunday brunch at the "Top of the Mark". The Top of the Mark has a clearly posted no cell phone policy. Unfortunately, our brunch was spoiled by a loud, lengthy cell phone conversation. What made this cell phone call all the more annoying is that it was being conducted by the general manager of the hotel, Jean Francois Gatti. At one point, he got up an moved closer to our table to be closer to the window and get better reception. The brunch itself was fantastic -- an incredible array of foods, all of it well-prepared.

While the hotel is by no means a ripoff, I don't think I'd return. The room was oddly arranged (bathroom door right at the foot of the bed) and, despite making the reservation well in advance, we couldn't have a king bed. The hotel does not offer a ton of amenities (no sauna or whirlpool, for example; no airport shuttle). We checked out the Fairmont which is right across the street and that seemed much nicer for slightly more money.

• Liked — brucnh at the Top of the Mark
  • Disliked — low value for expense
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Tavira, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for one week and had a great time. The rooms are very comfortable and in keeping with the standard of the hotel. There is the bar/restaurant at the top, called The Top of the Mark has fantastic views over the city. We dined there a number of times and had great meals and atmosphere, albeit the service may seem a little slow at busy times. At the weekend nights there is live music which was fantastic, theres a dance floor and we made good use of it. Although not a budget getaway it is worth it for a treat and for the magnificent views. As it is at the top of Nob Hill we walked down the hill and got a cab back. The doorman and bell boys were very helpful. The car parking is valet and is the usual cost for most of the SF hotels.
There is a dress code in the restaurant in the evenings.

• Liked — Luxury
  • Disliked — No Pool
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Smyrna, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

Great place, great location, top of the line everything!!

• Stayed November 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nova Scotia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

Overall, our stay at the IMH was a pleasant one but I don't think I would stay there again if I was to return to SF. I'll start with the good points.
As far as location, it's in a really nice part of the city and we didn't feel uncomfortable touring the neighbourhood in the evening. Upon arriving, the doormen and bellman were very courteous and quick to get you in and settled. The lobby is very elegant and has an old time charm to it. I've read in other reviews that the staff can be rude and a little on the snobby side but that wasn't our experience. However, some of the guests we had interacted with obviously left their manners at home while on vacation!

As far the as the room (we stayed in a deluxe) there wasn't anything all tha deluxe about it. I guess they called it deluxe because of the view which wasn' too bad when the fog wasn't in. However, they don't go all out for you when you book online using because you're getting a better deal. The rooms were clean, and the bathroom was a decent size.

If you plan on ordering room service then expect to pay the price. We arrived late when it was too inconvenient to venture out so were forced to order from the hotel and it was very, very expensive for a burger.

They were very helpful with checkout and getting our boarding passes for us before we went to the airport and were also helpful in arranging for a cab to the airport early in the morning.

The only really "bad" thing I have to say is that if you're walking back to the hotel be prepared to get quie the workout. If you're not able to wait around for a cable car or absolutely have to walk it's not for those who are in good health or have mobility issues. I also think I would stay somewhere closer to Union Sq. where the shopping is. We spent most of our time there and if you were inerested in venturing uphill you can grab a travel pass and use either the buses or cable cars while you're there.

Stayed September 2007
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2007

When I called the Hotel directly to book my room, I was so very impressed with the delightful agent that I called the reservation's manager to compliment him on his staff's professionalism.
Too bad Mr. Douglas could not take my call when I had some problems.
I was rudely dismissed by a young man at the Concierge desk and left without being shown around and to carry my own luggage to my room.
I had paid extra for a 'higher' floor with a view and am still waiting to hear from the Hotel with clarification as to floor level/room rates.
And just why is it $60 for two, with an addition $30 per guest for use of the Club room, yet a single occupant must pay $40.
I never received phone messages and had to call for clean glasses.
I was a guest for 5 nights, yet had 2 small drawers to put my clothes in.
On the positive side -- the bed was extremely comfortable in spite of the top sheet having a hole big enough to put a fist through.
I will be returning to San Francisco in November and will be staying at the Fairmont, where I have stayed many times before and have never been disappointed.

• Liked — Bed was comfortable.
  • Disliked — Rude staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sheffield, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2007

We stayed on Platinum Ambassador status, and got our upgrade, but were disappointed that this meant to a room on 7th floor that didnt give us the kind of view we had hoped for. We paid for club lounge access for a day, but felt this was wasted as the facilities weren't very good (not private enough - within view of check -in) the snacks were poor and in short supply, and alcoholic drinks were unavailable for most of the day. The 2 computers both had broken keyboards, that is when you could get on one of them......
Top of the Mark is lovely, but book in plenty of time, as there is only one sitting and it books up well in advance. Its expensive, but the food is wonderful and the view is too.
Overall the Mark Hopkins is OK, but if I come to SF again, I will book into the new one they are building downtown. Sorry, but intercontinental were just not up to standard this time.

• Liked — Pillows.
  • Disliked — Club Lounge
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

We love the Mark Hopkins. Great location, beautiful hotel, amazing staff. I just wish that there wasn't a wait to enjoy a drink at the "Top of the Mark" on busy nights (even if you don't want/need a table).

Decent fitness facility but if you need more you can pay a small fee to use the nearby Club One.

Stayed December 2006

Been to InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco? Share your experiences!