“A Palace Indeed!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palace Hotel

You added Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 (South Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #50 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Lomita, CA
“A Palace Indeed!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2006

My mother, my daughter, and I went to visit the Bay Area for winter break. We decided to book a room at the Palace Hotel for one night, and I'm so glad we went ahead with that decision!
The hotel itself is located right next to the Montgomery BART station, and all the MUNI buses stop by there as well. The hotel is lavishly decorated inside, and it is home to some gourmet restaurants and bars.
There is a fitness center,indoor pool, sauna, and jacuzzi all located inside the hotel. The rooms are a good size and have very comfortable beds. The bathroom was beautiul, and the showers had good water pressure.
The hotel is a bit pricy, but we got lucky because we found a special deal on the internet for only $149.00 a night. If I could find a bargain like this again, I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
Southern, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2006

Would I be returning to this hotel in Jan. if it were terrible? No, this hotel is one of the most charming hotels I have ever stayed in. My husband and myself booked this also as another prior guest said off the SPG web site. Now as far as getting to the hotel. We simply took the Bart from SFO airport for around $5 per person. It took around 30 minutes and was easy to connect with. The bart stops just outside the hotel and how easy is that>

We enjoyed the very very pricey holiday brunch but it was Christmas and the price hurt less knowing we were doing something special for each other. Our room overlooked the blvd. and it was very nice. Very tiny bathroom but we did not plan on living in the bathroom the entire time. Great space in the Deluxe rooms. We asked nicely for an upgrade at check in and they were able to accomodate us.

One thing we should have done, we should have asked the closest way to Powell street. In fact we walked down Market for 6 blocks only to see we could have turned down a side street and been at Union Sq in a short hop vs the 6 plus blocks we walked. Use the map the hotel gives you We will in Jan. Palace hotel is conventient, clean, great staff, great food, weak bar for chocolate martinies though. Don't order one of those. but beautiful to look at. I will never go to the city by the bay and not stay at the Palace ever again. Why would anyone want to miss the chance of staying in a palace.

san francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2006

What a beautiful hotel! The only problem was the paper thin walls...and no coffee in the rooms...you have to call up for room service. Other than that...it's a beautiful place and the employees are very attentive.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2005

Had the pleasure of booking this hotel directly through the Starwood web page, which linked me to this hotel. I was quoted 199.00 per night, and thought that this was a very reasonable deal. After reading some comments, I took some with a grain of salt. I have stayed at the Palace in Madrid Spain, and thought if this was anywhere near that ,I would be happy. Location is about 40 minutes to SFO. I hired a cab take myself and my date, the cost one way is 45.00. Upon leaving the hotel after our 2 night stay, I was offered by the doorman a black Town car to return to SFO for about $50, plus I tipped 10. They staff was very friendly and served you with smiles. The concierge was a life saver. They ordered a strech limo for me and my guest to go out for dinner and club hopping. Cost was billed to the room for $210 including tip. The moment you walk in , it will take you a while to absorb the architecture of this building. It was very ornate, simular what you might find in Venice or Rome. All avenues were spotless. Rooms were small, but had marble, shower,tubs, all necessities one would need, including free bottleds water. The only down side is that there is a refrid. in the room, but no mini bar.Wonderfully done bed, and very comfortable. I had scheduled a romantic lunch at The Gardens. Very opulant and grand. Lunch was around $100. They even sprinkleed our table with rose pedals,something I had not asked for, but made me look like a hero...Thanks!!!!! Went to the sushi rest. adjoining the hotel. Had wonder dinner, sushi etc for about $150. Mornings, I went to a Starbucks no more than 150 feet from hotel. I would absolutly stay here again. There was some signs of age, but I would rate this hotel a 4 out of 5. The Wharf is a 11 dollar taxi ride. Enjoy...I did.

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2005

This is a beautiful hotel, renovated, located in the financial district, close to china town just south of market street. I stayed here for a business meeting, but it's so expensive, I'd probably never shell out the bucks to stay otherwise. Nice feather pillows and comforters, quiet, and as you'd expect great food and concierge services. The television stations were limited but who goes to watch TV??

houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2005

Just returned from our stay at The Palace and have to say it was disappointing. The rooms are very small. Two people cannot cross the room at the same time. We had a view of an office building. Parking was $40/day, the mini bar was empty and internet access was $15.99. For the price per night, I would have expected a bit more.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2005

The hotel is charming, my husband and I had a room with lovely furniture, updated bathroom with a few cracks in the floor and some knobs missing on the window shutters. It was very clean; the housekeepers were very efficient and quiet in the halls. The bed was very comfortable and cozy - nice linens. Very convenient location for walking everywhere and catching the charming trolleys. The Bart underground train is just at the hotel doorstep so we could hear it all night - if you are a light sleeper this may bother you so try to get a room that doesn't overlook the street.
The two front desk gentlemen who checked us in were very snooty - we had just come in from a long flight from Seattle and we were wearing jeans and only had back packs for luggage as we were just there for the weekend. They were not very helpful or friendly and didn't make much eye contact. I think they were surprised when our credit card was accepted.....
All in all it was a good place to stay and we felt safe. There are so many beggars and homeless within a block of the hotel – try to avoid walking there at night because they can get quite aggressive.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!