“Elegant hotel, delightful stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palace Hotel

You added Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 (South Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #50 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Northbrook, Illinois
“Elegant hotel, delightful stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

First time stayed in Palace and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Great location, impressive lobby and common areas, pleasant and efficient staff, easy check-in/check-out process. I was there for the conference, and all facilities were quite good. Few drawbacks: rooms are a bit dated, wouldn't say I liked décor too much either; and, more importantly, definitely overpriced. For this type of rate I expected to be blown away by everything. Breakfast in the hotel was pretty good, but also overpriced. All in all, excellent stay, and will be back if the price is right,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
PalaceHotelSF, Guest Relations Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Hello freiburg13 ,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy our great location, found our lobby and common areas to be impressive, enjoyed our staff, and check-in/check-out process. We appreciate all feedback so thank you for letting us know about the few drawbacks you mentioned. We want to make sure we do everything possible to keep our refined and respectable atmosphere undisturbed. Thank you again for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I was able to get a great deal at the end of March 2013. I have stayed at other properties many times in San Francisco, but always wanted to stay at the Palace. The location is fabulous, with a BART stop in front of hotel. Minutes away from the Ferry Building...so I was able to shop Sat Farmer's Market, go back to hotel and drop bags off. Shopping down Market Street right there. As for the Palace, I used the fabulous spa with full length pool, Jacuzzi, sauna etc. The room I had was beautiful, comfortable bed with high ceilings, big...great. I ate at the restaurant/bar which has the famous Pied Piper painting old school charm, with tasty food. The concierge helped me several times with plans, including an inexpensive pick up to SFO. They are known for their Brunch, which I hope to enjoy at another visit. This is a hotel that honors an era of elegance and charm. I would stay again for sure!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hello traveltheworld51,

Thank you very much for sharing this amazing experience with us and very happy to hear you enjoyed the old school charm to Pied Piper. . We hope to welcome you back to the Palace Hotel again soon.
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I got a great deal booking direct with the hotel which included breakfast (3nights) & much better price than usual hotel search engines. I had EXCELLENT customer service from the incredibly helpful concierge Deborah Lew who emailed me lots of useful information to help plan our stay in San Francisco. It left such a positive impression before we had even arrived. From the minute we arrived after a long drive with young children from Yosemite we were greeted by a helpful valet who dealt quickly & efficiently with the packed contents of our car & friendly front of house staff. The Palace is a beautiful building with impressive lobby & spectacular Garden room - such a peaceful & refined way to start your day with a sumptuous breakfast & friendly staff. Room was spacious and plush, bathroom a little small. Our children loved the heated pool (larger than most hotel pools). We had a wonderful stay & highly recommend this hotel which was surprisingly cheaper than I thought it would be. My only negative comment after the excellent service from staff is I found the bar tenders at night to be not particularly friendly & rather grumpy! TIP- for those with longer stays, there is a car park behind hotel for only $25 per day.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hello Chelt01,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience with us. I will be sure to share your feedback with the appropriate department heads, thank you also for your compliments. We hope to welcome you back to the Palace Hotel again soon.
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I lived in San Francisco in the early '70's and we have visited many times since then. I have stayed at many hotels, including the Fairmont, the Mark Hopkins, the Huntington, Stanford Court, the St. Francis, the Meridian, Westin SF, etc. I usually look for the best deal, and the best deal I could find for four nights in early July was the Palace. I was very familiar with the hotel, but had never stayed there. I booked what they call a superior room (the most inexpensive) through the hotel's website for an AAA rate of $159.00 per night, which is extremely unusual, and probably had to do with the 4th of July holiday. My advice for anyone going to SF is to check websites like Priceline or Orbitz to see what the general price range is for various hotels, and then check each hotel's website to see how their rates compare. You will find that there is a huge difference from week to week, so if your dates are flexible, check rates around the dates you want to be there to find the best deal.

Our room was small, but nicely furnished, clean and comfortable. There was no view. The bathroom was nicely done with some nice features. The closet was very large. The photo on the website was very close to our room. The service was excellent from check-in to check-out. Special kudos to the doorman, who was very helpful. The location is great. It was a bargain for $159, but would not have been for $250 or more.

We rarely eat at our hotel in San Francisco because there are so many fine restaurants, and this time was no exception. We enjoyed the Pied Piper bar, as we had some several times before when we had stayed elsewhere, although the famous painting was away for cleaning and was missed. The Garden Court was just re-opened after a refurbishment, and it was beautiful. They only serve breakfast and lunch there, and brunch on weekends. I think they are not taking full advantage of the space by not serving cocktails and dinner there. I don't think the only place open for dinner in the hotel, the Pied Piper Grill, is very tempting.

Overall, we enjoyed the stay and will return if we can get a similar deal.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
PalaceHotelSF, Guest Relations Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your comments and thank you for sharing such a delightful review. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I was intimidated by its name(s), but it's an excellent hotel. Very professional staff (may I mention Ronald Gonzalez), super clean room and bathroom, excellent breakfast with top-quality products. Luxurious, but the good old way. Good location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hello Pasquale P,

Thank you very much for sharing this amazing experience with us. I will be sure to share this with Ronald. We hope to welcome you back to the Palace Hotel again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Service was excellent. All of the staff went out of their way to be helpful. Health club staff was particularly nice. The pool was really nice. One less than optimal thing was that the work out equipment was limited and it was really difficult to get a machine early in the morning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
PalaceHotelSF, Guest Relations Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Hello Peggydavidandkids,

This is great! Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us. We hope to welcome you back to the Palace Hotel again soon.
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We checked in here after an early flight from the east coast on a Saturday morning. Ruben at the front desk could not have been nicer. After an early morning flight, we were upgraded and checked in early to our Deluxe room. My Platinum SPG status was recognized and appreciated.
The rooms are large with high ceilings . The bathrooms have all of the comforts needed and large as well, at least in the Deluxe rooms. This hotel has a beautiful lobby as well as a famous hotel bar, The photos on the wall of the bar include Presidents, Chefs and Royalty. Service is fast and efficient and music at night quite enjoyable.
From the hotel, the walk to the Ferry Building is less than 15 minutes. Location is quite good for shopping and to see all of downtown San Francisco. There are several good restaurants close by and Starbucks a half block away.
The spa and health club are quite nice as is the indoor pool which has a glass roof. While waiting for friends, the Bellman allowed us to park in front for almost 45 minutes. This was very nice of him and follows the pattern of great hospitality!
For years we have bounced from hotel to hotel on trips to San Francisco, not any longer. I am now a "Palace Client"

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Deluxe room