I really enjoyed my stay at the Palace Hotel, even through old-fashioned is not really my style. Ended up hear due to one of those website specials where you do not learn the name of the hotel until you've committed to accepting the deal. Was not sure what to expect.
Some major positives:
* Amazing Location - Definitely in the heart of SF with super easy access to public transit
* Friendly Service - All staff were friendly and helpful (with the possible exception of the staff in the Pied Piper--it was obvious in the bar that it is a union shop and let's just say teamwork was not their strong point)
* Awesome Pool - You don't find pools like this often in downtown SF
* Great Showers - One concern with these historic properties is that often the water pressure is lacking. Not at the Palace
* Nice Rooms - While not my preferred style, the room was fine. Everything worked, beds and linens were top of the line, and cleanliness was right up there with the best. They do a good job of making the decor appropriate for the historic nature of the property.
* Jaw-Dropping Public Spaces - The Garden Court is probably the most beautiful restaurant space I have experienced. The large hallways, high ceilings, use of marble and dark wood, all combine to make all of the public spaces something special.
Missed the mark on the following:
* Parking Charges - $59 per night, even in SF, are a rip-off
* Restaurant Prices - The amounts they charged are not justified by the cuisine. It is good - don't get me wrong - but not worth the inflated prices
* Potential - This place really has potential, and while a very nice place I couldn't help thinking that there was so much more they could do with the place. You will never re-create the sense of grandeur that this place holds, so I would suggest that management play it up a bit more. Maybe offer some special services from a bygone era that would really make the guest feel special. This place is straight-out of Downton Abbey and the experience could be mind-blowing if played up right.
Bottom Line: Great historic property with good service and functioning amenities. It could be better, but I would not hesitate to stay here again.