“Beautiful old world charm but service could have been better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palace Hotel

Save Saved
You added Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 (South Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #52 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
New York City, New York
“Beautiful old world charm but service could have been better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This hotel's common area is beautiful. I love the architectural details especially at
garden court. Yes food there can be a little pricey but the ambiance is worth the price.

We stayed there for a whole week with our 4-month old. Housekeepers came pretty fast every time after I called to have the room tidied up. Concierge was accommodating to my special instructions on food delivery.

However, during my one week stay there, I went out for a walk with my baby in the stroller everyday. And everyday I had to push open the heavy door myself to exit the lobby. Everyday. Bellhop behind the concierge desk stood right there watch him me struggling. One day I couldn't help but asking them "excuse me could you help me" and they responded "what can I do for you". Really? You see someone with a stroller trying hard to push open a heavy door and you wonder what help she may need??

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Yerevan, Armenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed at Palace for 4 days for the International Women Conference.
This is a perfect place for such kind of activities. the location was perfect and i easily could walk around and also the harbor was not far.
in general i liked the facilities. The main lobby and garden court breakfast areas were very impressive. the reception people were welcoming and ready to help.
The room was clean and the service was satisfactory. the only thing i didn't like was the toilet which was small.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I like the hotel-the location is excellent. However, everything about it seems dated and could use some upkeep, including the service.
On my last visit, my room was better located, and I did get an early check-in; no problem! However, this time, I got put in never never land, and the rooms, hallway, carpeting could use updating in never never land! When I ordered room service, the server made me hold the door open for him, and asked me to open the door when he left-never happened before!? I didn't mind, but thought it strange-the food was good, however, and I got lots of extra condiments, etc.
Overall, it's a nice hotel, but I think everything could use a bit of sprucing. Also, on my last visit, the health club was an ice box, and I couldn't use it at all.

Room Tip: Don't ask for a quiet room, unless you want to spend 10 minutes getting to the elevator!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sacramento, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

It has been a few years since I have been back at the Palace, and I was rewarded with a quality stay. The service was impeccable and the room was well appointed. You feel the old elegance of San Francisco in this historic hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Cocoa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

All was good, most of your hotel, however my wife and I both slipped in your slippery tub. My wife fell completly and I almost fell, even after watching out myself after she slipped. A dirty tub is a dirty bathroom. Will need to be updated with safety before I go back. Hope this gets to the right people. I will be checking on it, thank you, your guest, Rick

Room Tip: Check your tub first!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
intl
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The hotel lives off its past splendor. The main lobby and garden court breakfast area are quite impressive and beautiful, but the rest of the hotel is worn and in need for renovation.

The rooms do not seem particularly clean (the old carpet doesn't help) and you can easily identify problems due to neglect (holes in the sheets, lamps that do not work properly. This gives a feeling of being in a (not so good) three star hotel while paying a five-star price.

The service was slow and inefficient, starting from the check-in, for which there were long lines (despite the fact it was not high season). We also had to call several times to make requests. The worst part is that someone actually entered our room unannounced, possibly in an attempt to steal from us. We think they saw two people leave the room for an evening out, but were not aware that there was still someone in the room resting with the lights off. A staff member entered the room without knocking on the door or saying anything and without turning on the lights. Upon seeing there was someone in there who gave her a questioning look, she was startled and immediately left. This happened way after turndown service, so there was no excuse.

If you decide to stay at this hotel, do not leave any valuables in your room. Even without this incident, you are much better off staying at a smaller, newer hotel that will likely also be cheaper.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
PalaceHotelSF, Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review; we take your insights and comments very seriously. In order to respond to your review with the best possible of our ability we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to learn more about your stay. Please contact us confidentially at palaceinfo@luxurycollection.com. Thank you again.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We had a family reunion, including our 90 year old mother, and chose the Palace for its central location and reputation. The staff went out of the way to accommodate us by providing a temporary room for our mother to rest when we arrived earlier than the standard check in time. We were upgraded to a suit to allow enough space for the family visits during our stay. This was a perfect setting for our family reunion.

We felt like loyalty in beautiful setting and excellent service. We will definitely return here for our next family reunion and other occasions! The Palace lived up to its reputation and more!

Room Tip: Always request for an upgrade when checking in, I found the front desk staff to me very helpful.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!