“Very elegant hotel in good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palace Hotel

You added Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 (SoMa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #47 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Very elegant hotel in good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights during our first visit to San Francisco after spending 10 days in Napa/Sonoma. We redeemed some air miles points to pay for the room. I agonized on where to stay during my research of San Fran hotels. For some reason, I was always drawn back to the history and nostalgia of this grand dame. It is a beautiful hotel and we really enjoyed our stay there.

Because we'd had so much fine dining while touring wine country (including the renowned French Laundry!), we ended up not doing the Sunday brunch at The Palace as I'd initially planned on doing. But that dining room is so beautiful! For breakfast we ate at a little bistro close by which was convenient and inexpensive. I believe there was also a MacDonalds or something close by as well.

Our room was small as older hotels tend to be but the bed and pillows were very comfortable. We had a large window and didn't find noise to be a problem. The hotel is located close to lots of good shopping and we were able to catch a street car, cable car or take a short taxi ride down to the Pier. I'm glad we stayed where we did and not right at the Pier.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at the end of December. Staying here is a treat to appreciate the history of the hotel and the city. In addition to the ornate details and beautiful building it was nice to see the hotel decorated and lighted for the Christmas holidays.

As others have said the bathrooms are a bit on the small side but they are nonetheless nicely appointed. I did not miss not having a coffee maker in the room and had no problem going down to the beautiful lobby in the morning to get my coffee fix (I’m sure the quality of the coffee from the lobby is far superior to anything you would get from an in-room coffee maker anyway.) Since the price of breakfast for two of us would have probably cost around $50 we opted to eat breakfast at a bakery/coffee shop around the corner on Market Street.

When we checked in I asked for a room away from the elevators only to be assigned to room 660 directly next to the elevator! We tried the room for about an hour but could hear the elevators running in the room plus we got a lot of noise from other guests talking loudly while waiting for the elevators. After an hour I decided this would not be a satisfactory room for our stay. After twice trying to call the front desk to enquire about moving to a different room and no one picking up, I walked down to the front desk. The desk was not busy so I’m not sure why they never picked up the phone when I called. I explained our room dissatisfaction to the same clerk that checked us in and she was able to find us a room on the 8th floor away from the elevators.

The high ceilings in the rooms make them feel spacious and the beds are very comfortable. Between the two rooms we used, one had a large closet and the other had a wardrobe. The view from our room was across to another part of the hotel and looking up you could see the top of the hotel sign on the roof facing Market Street. Since we were in an interior room we did not have any street noise. But the walls are rather thin so we could hear people talking and the TV from the room next to ours.

On our second night we had some drinks and dessert in the Pied Piper Bar. It was amazing to have drinks in a room with a $2 million dollar painting but the service was a bit slow.

Overall we think it’s a beautiful hotel and we would probably stay there again even with some of the minor complaints I’ve listed above. (If you’re at the hotel on a Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday you can take a 90 minute historic tour of the hotel that departs from close to the concierge desk.)

Room Tip: Due to the beautiful open stairways and open area by the elevators, the acoustics tend to amplify th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida, Usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I went there with my wife and daughter over the Christmas weekend. The location is less than desirable mainly due to the fact that the homeless population is so abundant. Although the homeless people are quite benign, there are the exceptions. Unfortunately I had a standoff with one of these exceptions in the hotel lobby. Somehow he made it past security and tried to board the elevator with me.
The room was average and I found the beds to be uncomfortable. The internet is not free, but if you have 4g service and a mobile hotspot, who needs internet? I did however enjoy the free coffee each morning served in the lobby. Starbucks is less than two blocks away, but when it is raining, the hotel coffee will do. I also enjoyed the indoor pool, which is kept at a pleasant temperature. The hot tub was always infested with noisy kids even though the sign indicates it is for adults only or kids are to be accompanied by adults. There is nobody there to enforce the rules, so it's not worth going there if you are hoping to relax. I found the workout facilities to be adequate for a brief workout, but you would have to get creative to stay more than an hour with the weights. The sauna is fairly large and not really populated. It's a great place to go on a cold day, especially after walking a couple of hours in the cold rain. The location is quick to access if you are taking the BART from the airport. You take the BART to the Montgomery street exit and take the stairs up and you are at the front door. This is also the reason for the homeless problem. The homeless tend to congregate underground when it is raining, and since the first door they come to is the Palace, they tend to try to get inside. I have nothing against homeless people, but it does take away from the enjoyment of your vacation when you are not allowed to look in certain directions for fear they might think you are looking at them and now you have to spend the next 10 seconds telling them you can't help them. The hotel was fine, but I will not return, but not because of the hotel, but because of the homeless problem. San Francisco has to figure out a solution to that problem before I will visit again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
PalaceHotelSF, Guest Relations Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us at the Palace Hotel. Our hotel prides itself on giving back to the community and helping support the beautification of the neighboring area. We have been working with the Yerba Buena Alliance as well as SFPD on cleaning up the area and provided a safe access point for guests to and from public transportation. In addition we have hired additional security that is based in the hotel lobby to ensure safety. Thank you for your comments regarding the pool, workout facility and sauna. We are sorry to hear your closing statement about not visiting San Francisco. We can assure you that we are working with local law enforcement to improve the area and hope you will allow us another opportunity to show you the inspiring city of San Francisco.
Klamath Falls, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My Wife and I had high hopes about the Palace Hotel after visiting their website and making our prepaid reservation 2 months in advance. I explaned to the reservations desk by phone that we were celebrating both our anniversary and my final return home to the US after spending three years in a combat zone. The lady making our reservations assured us we'd get the Suite with a view of Market Street on one of the upper floors that we asked for. Arriving a little after 5:00PM due to a couple flight delays we found that we had NO room waiting for us. We waited for over two hours to finally be given a Suite. This was only after my demanded service and told them that we'd leave. I was remaining out of the conversation because I was a bit tired after 30 hours of travel with very little sleep. They acknowledged that we had a reservation but had apparently had given our room to someone to someone else. They kept insisting they were giving us a room upgrade, when in fact we were given a room on a lower floor overlooking a dismal ally and the wall of an adjacent building, which no one else wanted because it was also situated next to a noisy service room and ice machine.

In the mornings we were then subjected to eating average food, only after being seated by one of the rudest Hostesses we'd ever encountered anywhere. The exeptions to our treatment at this hotel were the Bell Hops, Parking Valets,and the Concierge. Unfortunately this was offset by the ineptness and rudeness of the the other Hotel Staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. On behalf of the entire hotel we would like to say congratulations on your anniversary and express how grateful we are for all that you do for this country. We are so dismayed to hear that you did not have the experience you deserved at the Palace Hotel. What you experienced at check-in and in our restaurant is unacceptable. We are pleased to hear that the associates in the bell desk, parking and concierge departments made you feel more at home. Please contact us directly at palaceinfo@luxurycollection.com if time should allow, we would love to hear more details about your stay and how we can improve as a hotel. Thank you again.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The hotel is very centrally located, walking distance from everything with a metro stop RIGHT outside the hotel. It looks quite luxury, with great hallways and an opulent, clean lobby area which stretches forever! (Note that there are quite a few parties that happen in the back of the lobby which is great to meet people but it allows a lot of throughfare!). But nonetheless, it lives up to its name, and LOOKS like a grand palace. Two thumbs up for looks!

Here for business, the conference rooms were AMAZING looking, as was the upstairs dining area with open glass ceilings and breakout rooms all adorned with great architectural detail. Simply awe-inspiring!

The checkin was SLOW, there weren't many people, but once I got to the front they were helpful. Then, while the room is spacious and luxury looking with all the right TV channels, the biggest disappointment is the lack of free wifi. Not only that, you have to pay for wifi PER DEVICE, so if you have a laptop and an iPad, forget it. This was definitely quite a challenge for me, and quite old fashioned. Since breakfast wasn't included, I felt that I would've picked a better place that had some interesting service perks, since after a few days here, I had gotten used to the pretty-ness of this place.

(There is free wifi in the lobby though, and the lobby is humungous with many seating areas, so I found myself there quite a bit).

The nice thing about the rooms were that they had some view of the busy city, and that they were spacious with lots of TV channels. The staff also helped pick out restaurants, helped with restaurant reservations, and generally was quite courteous.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Lac La Biche, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stay here for 6 nights and it was a wonderful experience.Staff was super nice and the hotel is very elegant.Oh and their bed is super comfy too..that is always a plus for any hotel knowing that you will get good night sleep :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We recently stayed here for five nights with our two daughters. After a brief snafu upon arrival - our reservations had been cancelled mistakenly by our travel agent - the front staff went out of their way to get us settled in and accommodated. The room (a junior suite) was a decent size, but small compared to other cities we have stayed in (expected for SF). The location was great and within walking distance to a lot of the locations we wanted to see or eat at.

Overall an elegant hotel with a friendly staff and great location.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!