“Great Breakfast, location and common areas.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Palace Hotel

Save Saved
You added Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 (South Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #53 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Markham, Canada
“Great Breakfast, location and common areas.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This hotel has some fantastic positive characteristics. The train stop from the airport puts you right in front of the hotel (10 steps, no more). This is a fast, convenient, and very inexpensive at $16.50 for a roundtrip to and from the airport. I was in town for a conference, and the Moscone centre is about an 8 minute walk away.

Check-in is quite efficient, and the staff member I dealt with (for both check-in and check-out) was very thorough.

The room itself had high ceilings, and the furnishings were quite nice. My room had a wet carpet, which to me meant they had just washed it. It wasn't a problem. The bed was fine, and I would say it was comparable to the Westin bed. The linens were a step above Westin.

The biggest negative was the bathroom. I don't recall the last time I have seen a Starwood hotel that had rusty fixtures and mold in the bathtub. There was a fair bit of mold throughout the bathroom, and was a real turn-off. I didn't see the mold until late at night, and I was frankly too tired to kick up a fuss, so I lived with it for the three nights and mornings I had to bathe there.

With my status, internet is included, and it worked well for me during the entire stay. The fitness area was good. I only made it here twice, and although the controls on a couple of the machines didn't work, it wasn't very crowded, and there was a decent selection of free weights, resistance machines, and cardio machines. The fitness room looks over the pool, and that appeared to be a good size for a work-out.

The breakfast was included in my rate. I think if you had to pay for this, it would be very expensive, given the number of choices within a short walking distance of this hotel. However, you don't really pay for the food. The food was good, no doubt, but the room where they serve the breakfast is very grand and beautiful. It's a great way to start the day, particularly if you can schedule business meetings there. It really gives a great impression to your business partners. The breakfast rate made up for the fact there is no coffee in the room.

My ratings would have been higher, if not for the cleanliness issue, so if you come here and have a spotless room, I would suspect you would think this is a solid 4 star hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
PalaceHotelSF, Guest Relations Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
It is always such a delight to hear from our guests who truly experienced all that the hotel has to offer. We are very appreciative of your detailed and helpful review. Thank you for sharing our convenient location with our future Global Explorers. We are so pleased to hear that you had a smooth check-in and found certain amenities in the room exceeded your expectations. We are dismayed to hear that your guestroom bathroom was not up to standards. I can assure you that what you experienced in your room is not standard, nor is it acceptable. Thank you for your comments on The Garden Court; it truly is one of San Francisco’s historic gems. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back whether for business or pleasure.

1,734 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a work conference. Clean average sized room. Neat antique hotel built in 1875. Gorgeous lobby area. View from my room was a roof and other side if the hotel. Walk to my room from the elevator was about 6-7 minutes. At check in the staff urges you to decline maid service during your stay. Expensive wi-fi. Decent location in financial district. Lots of public transportation right outside the front door. Rooms were very expensive for value.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. The Make a Green Choice (MAGC) program is new to the hotel and offers guests the opportunity to support Starwood’s green effort by declining maid service during your stay. As a thank you for your efforts you will be awarded SPG points. Thank you for sharing our convenient location and accessibility to public transportation with our future Global Explorers. Thank you again for your review.
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We were delighted with our experience at the Palace and would highly recommend it to anyone seeking a comfortable stay in a grand hotel with a rich history.

This iconic "Grande Dame" is centrally located, has stately public areas with wi-fi, comfortable rooms, helpful (if smallish) business center, lovely pool, and best of all, the service from all staff was superb! This included, providing: courier delivery to our room, a referral to a doctor on a Saturday night, excellent restaurant suggestions, tips for public transit to sites of interest, to name just a few.

We thought the hotel breakfast was a bit pricey, and so opted (as did other guests) to take out coffee and breakfast foods from one of the neighboring Starbucks (there are 3 within 2 blocks of the hotel). At the time of our visit, a Ghirardelli chocolate store had also opened in the building, complete with a rich, creamy hot chocolate more akin to its Spanish cousins, than the watery version found in most of North America.

Some North Americans might find the rooms a touch small, but for travelers familiar with hotel room sizes elsewhere, this is less likely a concern. For ourselves, we were there to explore the city, not spend all our time in the room. It had everything we needed, the beds were comfortable, the linens of quality, and it was well equipped technically.

When we were there, the hotel had a mix of businesspeople (including a number of corporate and industry events), families, friends and solo travelers staying there.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you might not want to be directly above the main entrance as staff use a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I guess it's silly that my review is somewhat tainted by the fact that there was no blow-drier in the room...but it is. Outside of that fact, the room was large, the beds very comfortable, the pressure in the shower great. I'm not quite sold on the fancier hotels that don't have the coffee set-up in the room, but rather set up in the lobby area. Sometimes a girl doesn't wanna put a clothes on before having a coffee. Tried to use the hot tub...after waiting several minutes after pushing the button...and nothing happened...I gave up. The pool area was beautiful however. i only stayed here one night, perhaps more nights would have revealed more positive attributes.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
PalaceHotelSF, Guest Relations Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We are so pleased to hear you found the room large, and comfortable. I would like to note for our future Global Explorers that majority of rooms will have the blow dryers placed in one of the dresser drawers. If you are to ever find that you cannot locate one in your room please contact Housekeeping immediately and they will assist you. Thank you again for your review and we do hope to see you again soon!
St. Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is a beautiful Art Deco (I think) hotel, which has been around for over a century.
The courtyard where breakfast is served every morning is outstanding (see picture) and the breakfast buffet absolutely lavish. The gym is about average: mildly archaic with fewer machines than ideal but it does the job and there is an adjacent pool. My room was very spacious and had a high ceiling. Street noise was considerable but the front desk gave me ear plugs. Related to that: service was overall great. Would definitely return for the atmosphere.

New Orleans, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I loved the grand feeling of the lobby of the hotel. I found the staff to be helpful and nice. I loved the location.....easy walking distance to many restaurants, union square, the BART and in the heart of the city. I did think that the rooms were modest and simple. But the bed was comfortable and slept well there. I did think that the grandness of the hotel lobby and restaurant were so lovely that when I walked into my room I was a bit disappointed.
It was quite expensive to stay at this hotel, but I think that most of hotels in the heart of San Fran are going to be expensive. I would definitely be fine staying here again, and mostly because of the location and because the rooms were very clean and comfortable (although modest).

West Kingston, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I brought two 13 year old neighborhood girls with me from Rhode Island when I recently gave a talk in San Francisco focused on encouraging middle school girls to love and become involved in science and technology. My husband and I love this hotel for its architecture (it was the only hotel that survived the 1906 earthquake) and its charm and historic beauty. I also love the personal attention I receive every time I've stayed here. From the front desk manager, Ruben, to the housekeepers who left personal notes for the girls and also the servers at the Sunday Brunch in the Palace Court restaurant who explained each menu item (the girls took photos of each dish and loved every bite) I can't thank you enough. You made such a difference in their first trip outside the East Coast. They were thrilled, the trip was a success and it will be a lifetime memory for us all thanks to The Palace staff. Many thanks from a grateful lifetime Platinum SPG member.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite with a canopy bed and with an adjoining room for the girls. Perfect arrangemen...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We are so delighted to hear that you were able to share your wonderful experiences with us and truly make a difference in the lives of these two girls. Thank you for your comments for Ruben, the lovely housekeepers and the servers in The Garden Court. We are so happy to hear that you all enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the Sunday Brunch. We are very appreciative of your loyalty to both Starwood and the Palace Hotel. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Been to Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!