“Good....not great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palace Hotel

Save Saved
You added Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 (South Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #53 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Ottawa
“Good....not great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I guess it's silly that my review is somewhat tainted by the fact that there was no blow-drier in the room...but it is. Outside of that fact, the room was large, the beds very comfortable, the pressure in the shower great. I'm not quite sold on the fancier hotels that don't have the coffee set-up in the room, but rather set up in the lobby area. Sometimes a girl doesn't wanna put a clothes on before having a coffee. Tried to use the hot tub...after waiting several minutes after pushing the button...and nothing happened...I gave up. The pool area was beautiful however. i only stayed here one night, perhaps more nights would have revealed more positive attributes.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
PalaceHotelSF, Guest Relations Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We are so pleased to hear you found the room large, and comfortable. I would like to note for our future Global Explorers that majority of rooms will have the blow dryers placed in one of the dresser drawers. If you are to ever find that you cannot locate one in your room please contact Housekeeping immediately and they will assist you. Thank you again for your review and we do hope to see you again soon!

1,730 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
St. Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is a beautiful Art Deco (I think) hotel, which has been around for over a century.
The courtyard where breakfast is served every morning is outstanding (see picture) and the breakfast buffet absolutely lavish. The gym is about average: mildly archaic with fewer machines than ideal but it does the job and there is an adjacent pool. My room was very spacious and had a high ceiling. Street noise was considerable but the front desk gave me ear plugs. Related to that: service was overall great. Would definitely return for the atmosphere.

New Orleans, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I loved the grand feeling of the lobby of the hotel. I found the staff to be helpful and nice. I loved the location.....easy walking distance to many restaurants, union square, the BART and in the heart of the city. I did think that the rooms were modest and simple. But the bed was comfortable and slept well there. I did think that the grandness of the hotel lobby and restaurant were so lovely that when I walked into my room I was a bit disappointed.
It was quite expensive to stay at this hotel, but I think that most of hotels in the heart of San Fran are going to be expensive. I would definitely be fine staying here again, and mostly because of the location and because the rooms were very clean and comfortable (although modest).

West Kingston, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I brought two 13 year old neighborhood girls with me from Rhode Island when I recently gave a talk in San Francisco focused on encouraging middle school girls to love and become involved in science and technology. My husband and I love this hotel for its architecture (it was the only hotel that survived the 1906 earthquake) and its charm and historic beauty. I also love the personal attention I receive every time I've stayed here. From the front desk manager, Ruben, to the housekeepers who left personal notes for the girls and also the servers at the Sunday Brunch in the Palace Court restaurant who explained each menu item (the girls took photos of each dish and loved every bite) I can't thank you enough. You made such a difference in their first trip outside the East Coast. They were thrilled, the trip was a success and it will be a lifetime memory for us all thanks to The Palace staff. Many thanks from a grateful lifetime Platinum SPG member.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite with a canopy bed and with an adjoining room for the girls. Perfect arrangemen...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We are so delighted to hear that you were able to share your wonderful experiences with us and truly make a difference in the lives of these two girls. Thank you for your comments for Ruben, the lovely housekeepers and the servers in The Garden Court. We are so happy to hear that you all enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the Sunday Brunch. We are very appreciative of your loyalty to both Starwood and the Palace Hotel. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

As an avid reviewer of others comments I was wanting a very special few nights with the family's last few days after 2 weeks in a camper van. After poor service in an expensive Vegas hotel I was ready to be disappointed. Arriving potentially a bit scruffy in a posh hotel they treated
Us superbly from the word go, we have 4 kids aged 7-15. The rooms were excellent, great views, interconnected and very quiet. Pool was great, and gymn, relaxed use, location excellent, and the kids were amazed with it all.

Only downside was the price of breakfast, only once some of us paid 20-32 US dollars per person. I had to miss it as was so shocked, but enjoyed my cup of tea and the view. My strong advice is take the deal they offer in advance, it's worth it, as the dining room is absolutely spectacular and should not be missed, even if one morning. Even then, the waiter tried to help us get us the best deal and pay less, he was very reasonable.

We got the best service we had in the US, really helpful, professional and patient. Would definitely return. Great concierge.

I would add I live in hotels on business and have very high standards.

We left in a limo to the airport and clearly felt like kings!! Our luggage only just fitted n though, they do not have big boots!! :)

Room Tip: I think we may have it one up from the basic, and the honoured the interconnecting for our big famil...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
It is always such a delight to read and share reviews from guests who experienced all the hotel had to offer. We are so pleased to hear that you had a remarkable stay! Thank you for your comments regarding the staff, the pool area, The Garden Court and more. We are so grateful for your review and for you referral of our property. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel is in an impressive building, and I had one of the largest double bedrooms Ive ever stayed at but this is where the good review ends. The room decor was very old fashioned, my view was of the internal courtyard roof (not a view) the minibar was empty and turned off! It's ready for a refit. The breakfast was way too expensive, and you need to pay additional for wi-fi.

Room Tip: Hard to tell where the good rooms are
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We are very appreciative of your feedback and are thankful for your comments regarding the guestroom size. We are sorry to hear that you had issues with the refrigerator in the guestroom. Due to guest’s requests majority of our rooms offer an empty refrigerator for their own medicines, waters, sodas, etc. and a mini bar can be requested. Thank you again for your review and we do hope that you will visit the Palace Hotel again soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The common areas of the hotel are stunning. The food in the hotel and room service are usually fairly good as well. Some of the rooms are slightly outdated. However, all the usual amenities you expect of a 5-star hotel are present. All in all it's a very good hotel. Though I would suggest that it is slightly over priced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!