“Great location, nice historic hotel, average rooms!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palace Hotel

Save Saved
You added Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 (South Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #55 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
New Orleans, LA
“Great location, nice historic hotel, average rooms!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I loved the grand feeling of the lobby of the hotel. I found the staff to be helpful and nice. I loved the location.....easy walking distance to many restaurants, union square, the BART and in the heart of the city. I did think that the rooms were modest and simple. But the bed was comfortable and slept well there. I did think that the grandness of the hotel lobby and restaurant were so lovely that when I walked into my room I was a bit disappointed.
It was quite expensive to stay at this hotel, but I think that most of hotels in the heart of San Fran are going to be expensive. I would definitely be fine staying here again, and mostly because of the location and because the rooms were very clean and comfortable (although modest).

1,705 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
West Kingston, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I brought two 13 year old neighborhood girls with me from Rhode Island when I recently gave a talk in San Francisco focused on encouraging middle school girls to love and become involved in science and technology. My husband and I love this hotel for its architecture (it was the only hotel that survived the 1906 earthquake) and its charm and historic beauty. I also love the personal attention I receive every time I've stayed here. From the front desk manager, Ruben, to the housekeepers who left personal notes for the girls and also the servers at the Sunday Brunch in the Palace Court restaurant who explained each menu item (the girls took photos of each dish and loved every bite) I can't thank you enough. You made such a difference in their first trip outside the East Coast. They were thrilled, the trip was a success and it will be a lifetime memory for us all thanks to The Palace staff. Many thanks from a grateful lifetime Platinum SPG member.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite with a canopy bed and with an adjoining room for the girls. Perfect arrangemen...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
PalaceHotelSF, Guest Relations Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
We are so delighted to hear that you were able to share your wonderful experiences with us and truly make a difference in the lives of these two girls. Thank you for your comments for Ruben, the lovely housekeepers and the servers in The Garden Court. We are so happy to hear that you all enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the Sunday Brunch. We are very appreciative of your loyalty to both Starwood and the Palace Hotel. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

As an avid reviewer of others comments I was wanting a very special few nights with the family's last few days after 2 weeks in a camper van. After poor service in an expensive Vegas hotel I was ready to be disappointed. Arriving potentially a bit scruffy in a posh hotel they treated
Us superbly from the word go, we have 4 kids aged 7-15. The rooms were excellent, great views, interconnected and very quiet. Pool was great, and gymn, relaxed use, location excellent, and the kids were amazed with it all.

Only downside was the price of breakfast, only once some of us paid 20-32 US dollars per person. I had to miss it as was so shocked, but enjoyed my cup of tea and the view. My strong advice is take the deal they offer in advance, it's worth it, as the dining room is absolutely spectacular and should not be missed, even if one morning. Even then, the waiter tried to help us get us the best deal and pay less, he was very reasonable.

We got the best service we had in the US, really helpful, professional and patient. Would definitely return. Great concierge.

I would add I live in hotels on business and have very high standards.

We left in a limo to the airport and clearly felt like kings!! Our luggage only just fitted n though, they do not have big boots!! :)

Room Tip: I think we may have it one up from the basic, and the honoured the interconnecting for our big famil...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
It is always such a delight to read and share reviews from guests who experienced all the hotel had to offer. We are so pleased to hear that you had a remarkable stay! Thank you for your comments regarding the staff, the pool area, The Garden Court and more. We are so grateful for your review and for you referral of our property. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel is in an impressive building, and I had one of the largest double bedrooms Ive ever stayed at but this is where the good review ends. The room decor was very old fashioned, my view was of the internal courtyard roof (not a view) the minibar was empty and turned off! It's ready for a refit. The breakfast was way too expensive, and you need to pay additional for wi-fi.

Room Tip: Hard to tell where the good rooms are
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We are very appreciative of your feedback and are thankful for your comments regarding the guestroom size. We are sorry to hear that you had issues with the refrigerator in the guestroom. Due to guest’s requests majority of our rooms offer an empty refrigerator for their own medicines, waters, sodas, etc. and a mini bar can be requested. Thank you again for your review and we do hope that you will visit the Palace Hotel again soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The common areas of the hotel are stunning. The food in the hotel and room service are usually fairly good as well. Some of the rooms are slightly outdated. However, all the usual amenities you expect of a 5-star hotel are present. All in all it's a very good hotel. Though I would suggest that it is slightly over priced.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed at the Palace for the ADA dental convention back in October. The rooms were great! We checked into the Hotel in the wee early hours of the morning (1:30 am) and everyone was so nice and had everything ready for us. The breakfast buffet was delicious and the servers were very attentive. The Hotel was extremely beautiful in decor. The Hotel is very centrally located and walking distance to everything. From walking around China town to walking to the Pier and taking the trolley car to Pier 39. I will definitely stay there again!!

Palm Springs, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We cannot praise the Palace Hotel in San Francisco enough. From their glassed domed Garden Court retaining the century old elegance to the large suite with classic crown mouldings, baseboard, door casings and deep, and deep windowsills that allow you to sit in the sun and take in all the beauty of the surrounding city, every experience and amenity here is of the best quality. Our next visit and stay there can't come soon enough.

Room Tip: Use American Express Platinum services to get a complimentary room upgrade.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your delightful review! We are very appreciative of your praise and referral to other future Global Explorers. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Been to Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!