“This is Luxury???” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Palace Hotel

You added Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 (South Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #50 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Los Angeles, California
“This is Luxury???”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

I stayed here with my son while on his spring break. I have an office in San Francisco and come here regularly but always stay at other hotels, but decided to give the Palace Hotel a chance. The stay started off on the wrong foot given our 4:30pm arrival yet the room was not ready. Okay, so I asked for another room - lucky I did because while I had requested a high floor the hotel had booked us on the lowest floor. We are now moved up to the highest floor. Problem #2 - this room is not ready either and will take at least 1 hour to prepare. My son and I leave to get food and come back to check in after 6pm - luckily the room is just now ready (funny but I thought check-in was earlier than this). We arrive at the room and discover problem #3 - my SPG (Platinum) profile indicates a preference for a quiet room (away from elevators, etc.), which I had also asked for while checking in, yet we are assigned the room closest to the elevator bank. At this point we are both tired and decide to stick it out. Overall the room is okay - bathroom extremely small, absolutely NO water pressure (I can spit harder and probably produce more liquid too), the drapes are soiled and two of them are missing the rods making them difficult to open and close, and many of the TV channels are all static (did not discover this until our last night). The worst thing about the room though is that the bed I slept in was the worst Starwood hotel bed I have ever experienced - so bad that my back was bothering and I had a difficult time sleeping. Just prior to checking out I discovered that to make the bed more comfortable the hotel management had opted to place boards under the mattress in lieu of replacing the bed - from my viewpoint this is a poor solution especially from what is suppose to be a "luckury" hotel. How this hotel has attained a 4-star rating in beyond me.

On the plus side while the food at the bar is subpar the breakfast in the dining room is good.

Would I stay here again - NO absolutely not. There are many better hotels within close vicinity of the Palace Hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
PalaceHotelSF, Guest Relations Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are sorry to see that you did not see the Palace Hotel at its finest. I have passed along your comments to the respective department heads and we will look into these matters immediately. Thank you for sharing your insights with us and sharing your positive experience with the breakfast in The Garden Court. If you do wish to do so we would like to give you the opportunity to continue your outreach with the hotel which you may do so by going to sfpalace.com/comments. Thank you again for sharing your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Old and stylish and in the heart of the city. Great stay

New York, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

The glittering Palace in San Francisco is conveniently located near Union Square and the Museum of Modern Art, but it manages to feel somehow tucked away with its main entrance on the smallish New Montgomery Street. But you can't actually "tuck away" this gigantic old hotel, with its imposing edifice, which on the inside means seemingly endless corridors that can feel a little creepy if you are all alone late at night. Minor niggles include tacky wall sconces lining those long hallways, a shortage of good onsite dining options, and sometimes harried and unsmiling concierge staff. But the rooms are high-ceilinged and beautiful, the gym and pool are great for an urban hotel, and the service is generally superb. Beware the $59/night valet parking charge.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
PalaceHotelSF, Guest Relations Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thank you for sharing our convenient location to MOMA with our future Global Explorers. We encourage our guests to take in the indigenous surroundings of the local area and experience what San Francisco truly has to offer. Thank you again for taking the time to share your review.
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

I stayed at the property this week for ad:tech and received a fairly decent rate for San Francisco. It was my first stay at the property but far from my first stay at Starwood. The hotel staff were all very friendly and service was mostly exceptional. I was disappointed in the room. It was small, little storage (no closet, only an armoire), small bathroom and mediocre shower. The room was also noisy. I could hear my neighbors anytime they took a shower (noisy pipes) and could easily hear people out in the hall. The wireless internet worked very well but was very expensive.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
PalaceHotelSF, Guest Relations Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
We are pleased to hear that found the Palace Ambassadors to be friendly and mostly exceptional. We take great pride in our service and are always delighted to hear when our hard work has been recognized. I have noted your comments regarding the room size and I can assure you that your comments will be taken into great consideration when the time comes for renovation. Thank you again and we do hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

I visit SF 3-4 times a year and always go to the Palace hotel - service is very friendly, rooms are big and very clean. excellent king size bed. room service is good, location is very good, with all the best places close by. only down size is that the WiFi does not work well. but all in all highly recommended.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

The Palace is my go-to hotel in San Francisco, primarily because it is close to my office. I stay here several times a year. Service is great, beds are always comfortable and rooms always clean. The public areas are beautiful and the rooms are nice.
It's a beautiful historic hotel, but because it is an older property there are hiccups at times. I've had problems with the heat not working in the winter - on more than one occassion - but the staff has been prompt to fix it.
The Market Street side can be noisy, but the inside rooms are nice and quiet.
The Pied Piper bar downstairs is a favorite and is a great place to meet up with friends or co-workers. The fitness room is small but effective.

Room Tip: Choose an inside room for more quiet. Market Street side rooms have a "city" view but pick...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
We are always so appreciative of feedback from repeat guests. It is Global Explorers like yourself that help us stay at our best and teach us ways to better ourselves every day. The Palace Hotel truly is a historic beauty in San Francisco, but maintaining modern conveniences needs to remain a priority, so thank you for acknowledging the hard work we have put in to make our fitness center effective. The Pied Piper Bar & Grill is great for its handcrafted cocktails and classic California fare, make sure to stay tuned for upcoming special events!
Boston, Mass
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed at the Palace in San Francisco in March 2012. I was not disappointed by this old hotel that has been beautifully maintained and was in white glove clean condition. All employees: the doormen, concierge, bellmen, housekeepers, waitstaff were accommodating and friendly!
We arrived via BART from the SFO and was able to exit the station to the street and make an easy and safe walk across the street to the hotel (after 10 pm) I was traveling with one child and felt safe the entire time. The trolley to Fisherman's wharf was very close--1 block and we were able easily walk to the bus lines to explore other parts of the city.
If you are looking to walk out of the hotel during the night and find many nightclubs and restaurants than this is not the part of the city for you. This is more of the financial district (union square) The hotel, however has really good breakfast and a very good restaurant which we frequented at least 1 x per day for 5 days. The food was good and there were healthy choices.
The pool, sauna and workout room were in top condition. The hot tub could have been a little larger and warmer but looked to be clean.
The waitstaff and bellmen were the most accommodating and were truly and helpful. One evening I needed to go to a restaurant that was only 4 blocks away....I was not aware of how close this establishment was and attempted to hire a cab. The bellman assured me that I could save the money and easily and safely walk there...He was right!
Also, Debbie, the concierge was A1in my book..She detailed exactly how to get from the hotel to any destination that I needed.
Also, I have read some of the other reviews of this property. I'm not sure what the "normal" rate is but we had a special "buy three nights the fourth free" which included a great breakfast and gym/pool. The special rate we enjoyed plus the free perks did entice my decision.
I'm generally not a fan of the San Francisco area. A wedding and business in the area brought me and my daughter to the area. The Palace truly made the trip more enjoyable by the positive and friendly demeanor of the employees and the clean, welcoming historic hotel!
Thank you !!

Room Tip: I like the higher up rooms due to the street producing more noise during the day. This was not a pr...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, it truly was such a delight to read and share with our team. Our associates always appreciate having their names mentioned and their hard work noticed, so for that we are very thankful. We are so grateful to have such a dedicated and friendly team here at the Palace Hotel. The bellman and concierge were correct in informing you that there are many restaurants and local attractions nearby; 5 top rated museums, the Metreon and the list goes on. Thank you again for your comments and we do hope that the Palace Hotel will shine a brighter light on San Francisco for you moving forward.

Been to Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!