“Luxurious Palace :)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palace Hotel

Save Saved
You added Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 (South Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #52 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
Miami, Florida
“Luxurious Palace :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

I absolutely loved this hotel! It was so beautiful - like the old school hollywood movies. The entance doors are amazing! They are so beautiful! The hotel lobby is all marble floors and it gives you a very cozy feeling. The rooms a pretty big and very nicely decorated. This hotel is at a great location and in my case very close to the Moscone Center where I was working at an event. I would definitely stay there again :)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
PalaceHotelSF, Public Relations Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Thank you for posting such lovely comments and these delightful photos. We always love seeing the hotel from the guest perspective. We hope to see you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

The guest room windows are all sealed shut. A real shame. When the renovation was done in 1991, they all worked fine. The San Francisco air can be so nice. I won't stay at hotels where the windows are sealed shut. They work fine at the Mark Hopkins and others of this same era. The first room they assigned me had stained and dirty carpet. They did move my room, so I will give them that. This is a historic building. If the owners would just spend a little money on it, then it would deserve to be in the Luxury Collection. Now it is not. It would not cost much to have the windows work -- they are an important part of the hotel's design. Check in lines are usually long as they don't have enough staff people at the front desk. Must be another cost cutting decision.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
PalaceHotelSF, Public Relations Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Thank you for your comments. Due to safety regulations we have had to permanently shut the windows in the guestrooms. Guest safety is a top priority of ours and until the windows meet new safety regulations they will need to remain closed. Your comments are very helpful and we would like to thank you for sharing them with us. These comments help us determine how to spend upcoming monies on new structure and style renovations projects
Belfast N Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

We chose this hotel mainly for the indoor pool, but overall were very impressed with everything about it. Old school without being stuffy,nice larger room (although it was a shame that the sofa didn't convert into a sofabed) beautiful public spaces, helpful staff. The pool proved a big hit with the kids, and being indoors it isn't weather dependent. We walked quite a bit from the hotel and very good mall shopping closeby, Bart and retro streetcars with direct route to Fisherman's Wharf right outside, cablecar stop not far.
We had a disagreement when checking out over the rate we had been quoted, but all ended up fine once we got home to UK and were able to forward the hotel our email correspondence.
There is a charge for internet usage, but there is a McDoanlds with free WIFI right across the street so it was easy to pick up emails there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

I chose the Palace Hotel because it is close to the Moscone Convention Center and the hotel could store large boxes related to my exhibit. Just before I had to leave for opening night, UPS had not delivered them yet and the hotel receiving office was closed. Don Woodward, employee of the hotel, took it upon himself to track them down and deliver them to my room minutes before I had to leave. He saved my opening night!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

This is an older hotel in a fantastic location in San Francisco, right off Market and Montgomery (directly adjacent to the BART for those who don't want to pay $50+ for a cab from SFO).

Before you panic - "older" does not mean run down or decrepit. Far from it -- the common spaces and meeting spaces are beautiful and luxurious. I was there for a conference and the service, meeting rooms and meals were top-notch. The front-desk, bellman and concierge staff are also phenomenal. The fitness center is also very nice - what I would expect from a hotel in the "Luxury Collection".

The rooms, well... my room was nice - great comfortable bed, decently sized closet and a generously sized bathroom. I'll break it down as follows:

Pros: good size room for a city hotel, refrigerators in room, very good selection of TV channels

Cons: not enough drawers for clothes (I wound up having to use drawers in the nightstand for clothing), outlets are in the floor under furniture and, thus, inaccessible (with the exception of the power strip under the desk - again, it's an older hotel), no coffee maker in the room (although there's either coffee in the lobby or 2 Starbucks within 30 seconds of the door), thin walls (I heard kids two rooms away wailing at 4am) and, most frustrating to me, my room was a cell phone DEAD ZONE (as was the Ralston Ballroom).

As for the price, it's expensive. Face it -- San Francisco is not an inexpensive city. Was it worth it? I couldn't find any other hotels for less than the group rate than I got for the conference ($259/night) - so that's a wash.

Bottom line: it's a nice hotel in a great location that could stand a few minor tweaks to become a great hotel. Service and common areas are fantastic.

I'd stay here again if it was convenient, but wouldn't feel drawn to it if I could find a better price at a comparable property.

Room Tip: Request a room that has a view of something, as opposed to rooms that face the airshaft and other ro...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
PalaceHotelSF, Public Relations Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your stay. Your feedback is very helpful and your comments will help us provide a more remarkable stay for guests in the future. I have passed along your comments to the respective departments and we will do our best to fix these problems immediately. In addition, we would like to thank you for speaking highly of our staff and the overall hotel. Thank you again for review.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

This is a beautiful hotel with huge rooms and nice retaurants. Services are great.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

First of all, don't expect walls of gleaming glass and elevators that pull four g's...this is a classic hotel with a fantastic history and and a very elegant today....They have a great bar with a huge, original painting by Maxwell Parrish behind it...the dining area IS gorgeous and the service and food superb...take a city tour sponsored by the Library for a behind the scenes look at this hotel and it's history.....I've been going to SF for 40 years and this is my all time favorite place to stay.....watch the internet for specials...we stayed there for two nights for $150 one time....don't expect to find that price often but if you do, take it immediately...The BART station is a few steps away from the front Door of the Palace....if you fly in from either Oakland or SF it couldn't be easier....I NEVER drive in SF because the public transportation is so good.....You can fly into Oakland in the early AM, hop on the BART....go to the Powell Street cable car station, ride to the ferry and go across the bay to Sausalito for brunch.....I took my daughter on that trip and we had a blast.....the Palace is a great location to explore all of SF

Room Tip: I like the Market Street side so I can view the street scene
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
PalaceHotelSF, Public Relations Manager at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Thank you so much for your delightful comments. Our renowned painting of the “Pied Piper” truly is a sight to see. We are so happy to hear you were able to explore the hotel with the City Guide Tours and experience the timeless treasure that is the Garden Court. Convenience is also as important to us as it is to travelers so thank you for sharing the easy access to public transportation with our guests. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you upon your next stay with us at the Palace Hotel.

Been to Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!