“Good hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Touchstone Hotel - City Center

You added Touchstone Hotel - City Center to your Saves list
Touchstone Hotel - City Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   480 Geary Street, Between Mason Street and Taylor, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Ranked #130 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Duluth, MN
“Good hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our first and last nights in San Fran. We did a campervan trip to the redwoods in between. The hotel price was very good. Also, the location was great! We booked a few weeks before through booking.com but when we showed up we didn't have a reservation. Something had gone wrong and it got canceled but we didn't realize it. The guy at the front desk was really helpful and got us a room for the same price. We were happy with our room, it was comfortable, but nothing extravagant or fancy. But we didn't expect that nor did we really want that. We didn't spend a ton of time in there since we were out exploring the city.

We liked rolling out of bed and going to diner that was right next door for breakfast. And you get a coupon for 25% off your meal!

On our last night we arranged a shuttle to the airport through them which was a good price. The elevator wasn't working and our room was on the 6th floor. The front desk guy was very kind and offered to bring our bags up for us. My husband brought them for us though and it was fine. When we left a couple hours later for dinner it was already fixed! We didn't like the room we had on our second night as much as the first but it was just fine. It was just a little smaller and the layout wasn't as good.

The hotel itself was cute and it had nice art and business area with computers. It was clean and the people working there were friendly and professional.

I would stay here again!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This hotel is a great choice if you are traveling to San Francisco. The prices are very accessible, i ended up paying about $130 USD a night for a double room with private bathroom, which is a gift considering the location and considering that you are in SF.

As I've said, the location is great, no more than a 2 minute walk and you are in the heart of the city, Union Square. There a lots of busses that pass through the hotel or very near to it, for which is very easy to move around. Also, its a very safe place to walk at any time, there are some homeless people, as in every zone of SF, but its a very busy area, with restaurants, shops and business opens always so you'll feel safe always (at least i did).

The hotel itself is super cute, it's small but it's carefully designed. The rooms have everything you need and have the feel of a boutique hotel. The beds are comfy and the hotel, room and bathroom are very clean.

The staff is very kind and helpful. They are willing to help in everything they can. They are also very knowledgeable and can offer tips and recommendations.

You should definitely consider the hotel if you want to be in a great location, for a great price.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter, so as back rooms. Rooms 602 (single) and 609 (double) worked perfectly.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Right after I booked 4 nights in this hotel, I read some bad reviews and was a little apprehensive. However, the location is unbeatable at the low price I paid, and the hotel was actually absolutely fine. Staff were really helpful and polite; I asked ahead for a quiet room away from the street, and although I have a view of a brick wall, it's dark and quiet at night and pretty much everything I need to get a good night's sleep, which is all I'm really doing in my room anyway (out exploring 16 hours a day!).

The rooms aren't 5 star luxury but they're great for what you pay for. Wifi was easy to access and fast, and little extras like a couple of free bottles of water and a few soaps/toiletries were an unexpected bonus. My room had an air conditioning unit/heater which was really helpful for climate control, and also had two spare fans in the cupboard in case I got too hot, as well as a spare blanket in case I got too cold!

I had some packages delivered to the hotel before I arrived and they happily stored them safely for me for a nominal fee (about $1 per item per day).

All in all, I'd definitely stay here again. A great budget hotel for sightseers.

Room Tip: I heard some bad reviews about people who found rooms on outside walls (near the front street or all...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was a bit concerned before my stay because the price seemed too good to be true. But I was actually quite pleased with my stay. My room was clean and comfortable. There was free wi-fi and water bottles. The location is fantastic and you cannot beat the price. I'd highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The people at Touchstone were extremely nice and helpful. We loved our stay here and would definitely come back again. It's a very close walk to Union Square, but far enough away from the hustle and bustle. The rooms were small but homey, they had a very nice feel to them and were exceptionally clean considering the age of the hotel.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay here and would absolutely return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Frome, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

To cut a long story short - due to all sorts of reasons were were unable to stay in our pre-paid hotel room here. (Blame the air company)!!! I contacted the hotel and they without hestitation reimbursed the full hotel fee.
One day we will see San Francisco and there wiull not be any other hotel for consideration. With this level of polite humanity and service mindedness - we would be mad to think of anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Hotel was a nice place to sleep after a tiring day touring the beautiful city! Hotel is at a GREAT LOCATION, just of the Union Square but slightly dated. Sound proofing was terrible, I could here people in rooms adjacent to my room! Staff were all very helpful, helping me book a shuttle to the airport as well as tourist tours around the city. On the plus side David's deli attached to it which provides nice breakfasts (25% discount if you are staying in the hotel). Hotel could have been a bit cleaner thought, most parts of the room where dusty. Certainly a good choice if you are on a budget and you just want a place to lie your head after a busy day touring around San Francisco!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Touchstone Hotel - City Center? Share your experiences!