“Would not go back!!!” 2 of 5 stars

You added Petite Auberge to your Saves list
Petite Auberge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   863 Bush Street, San Francisco, CA 94108 (Nob Hill)   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off Summer Promotion!
Ranked #29 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Chicago, Illinois
“Would not go back!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Spent two nights in January at this hotel. We have stayed at other JDV hotels in the past and found them to be outstanding.
We were both very dissapointed with this place. It is in an old building, we heard every single noise possible there is no soundproofing at all. All of the furniture needs to be replaced or updated. All of the flooring needs to be replaced.
I thought maybe it was just our room, but apparantly according to a staff member none of the rooms have been updated since 1985.
An old, boutique type of hotel would be fine but there is no excuse for the condition of the rooms in this place.
On the positive side I would say this room was clean. All of the staff were very friendly and went out of their way to help. This is not a reflection on the cleanliness of the hotel or room, but more on the fact that things need to be replaced or renovated in order to still be nice.
That coupled with the prices they charge, I would not go back.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Pam1975, General Manager at Petite Auberge, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
We appreciate you sharing your experience at Petite Auberge. I am happy our staff was able to provide outstanding service to you during your stay and that you found the hotel clean. We apologize that you did not find the building to your liking.

641 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Like an English B&B, not a hotel. Must register in one building, then let yourself in with key in next building. Hallways completely unheated in 30 degree weather. On the bright side, staff is pleasant and it is clean. We were totally mis-led by the ratings on TripAdvisor. At best a '2'.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay at Petite Auberge. The hotel is a bed and breakfast style inn, not a full-service hotel which is partly why it did not meet your expectations. I am sorry you were not alerted to this prior to your stay. We will have our maintenance team check the heater to ensure other guests are comfortable while at the inn. We are so glad you enjoyed the service of our front desk and housekeeping teams.
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I absolutely loved our stay at Petite Auberge. It was so much nicer than staying in the big chain, over priced and impersonal hotels in San Francisco. We stayed on the lower level nearest to the breakfast area in a Queen room with fireplace and we loved it because it was nice and quiet. The breakfasts were lovely: pastries, bread, hot food etc. and the afternoon cookies were amazing- we were always looking forward to them! There are just a few things to be aware of:
1) the room might get a little hot in summer as I don't recall seeing an air con (we stayed in winter, so this wasn't a problem for us)
2) there isn't always someone at the front desk, however there is a phone at the front desk if you ever need to get a hold of them during your stay. We did not mind this at all!
Basically, If you're planning a trip to San Fran, Petite Auberge will not disappoint!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Modesto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend and were very happy with our stay. We checked in and somehow were upgraded to a corner room. It had plenty of space and a nice fireplace. It did get noisy at night, but didn't keep us up after we closed the windows. You can obviously find better breakfasts in SF, but for a free hotel breakfast it was very good. No complaints there. You're about a five minute walk from Union Square and maybe seven minutes from Chinatown. It is on a hill so be prepared for some incline. The staff was very friendly and the old-school ejector was quaint. It fit with the building. We would gladly stay here again. Great hotel!

• Stayed January 2013
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is a very pretty, small hotel situated in Nob Hill, only a 3 minute walk to the cable car and 5 minutes to Union Square.
I stayed three nights at the Petite Auberge in Sept/Oct 2012. When I arrived there they discovered that my room had not been made up and immediately upgraded me to a deluxe room. It was wonderfully appointed with a gas log fire, a huge bed, desk, sitting chair, couch etc. Double glazing kept the noise out too. The staff were very friendly and the manager gave me lots of hints of what to do and see (particularly some of the less touristy things like historical walks etc). Breakfast was included but i have to admit the bed was so comfortable that i slept in every day and missed breakfast. There was also a lounge with free tea/coffee/biscuits/fruit etc.
This was my first trip to the US and my first trip traveling alone and i have to say that my experience at this hotel completely relaxed me and had me walking around San Francisco with a smile on my face.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Davis, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I found Petite Auberge a very comfortable place to stay. The room had the little things that make a place comfortable: sitting chairs, good light for reading in bed, lots of shelves in the bathroom, a full length mirror, lots of drawer space, free wifi. And that doesn't even touch on the free breakfast and h'orderves w/ wine! I always find it a hassle when traveling to just sit down to relax a glass of wine in the evening or get a lite breakfast, so I really appreciated it. The buffet breakfast was sausage, quiche, fruit, various baked goodies, oatmeal, cold cereal, and toast. Not a big fancy affair like a B&B, but clearly better than the "continental breakfast" a lot of hotels serve. There was a small breakfast room, plus a sitting area with several small couches. This would certainly be a nice area to sit around drinking coffee all morning.
I was there on a weekday and they shared a front desk with the White Swan two doors down.
The building is older and squeeks a bit. We didn't have problems with loud neighbors, but I imagine there could be problems.
The location is good -- a few blocks (though with a hill) from Union Square.
One thing I didn't like: the floral wall paper. Yuck!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Right off the top the important question; would I stay here again? Without hesitation I would say yes. Petit Auberge is a clean, comfortable, secure place to stay. It is convenient to Union Square, Nob Hill, Chinatown, Embarcadero, Cable Cars, busses, etc.

True to its name Petit Auberge is petit but the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful, our bed comfortable and what could be wrong with a place that has a cookie jar in the lobby?? The breakfast included in the rate was quite good (eggs, meat, fruit, croissants, cereal, juice and such) and the complimentary afternoon wine and hors d’ouevers was most enjoyable. Coffee, bottled water and tea were always available.

Petit Auberge does NOT have lots of amenities. If you need a gym, pool, concierge, bellman, restaurant, bar, spa, meeting rooms and the like you’ll want to stay elsewhere. San Francisco is notoriously expensive and in a town where three and four hundred dollar hotel rooms are standard our room for under $200 a night was a gem. We had what is described as a “cozy queen” and cozy it was! But we don’t come to town to stay in a room we come to see the sights and experience the culture so small rooms suit us fine. An earlier review suggested this might not be the best hotel for business. If you need work space you might try a hotel that caters more to business travelers. We did used the Wi-Fi and found it worked quite well but it is unsecured.

An earlier review mentioned the floors are squeaky and you will hear some street noise. They offer ear plugs if you need them. The entrance is about 8 steps up from the street. If you have mobility problems you may have difficulty accessing this property. Once inside the hotel there is an elevator, it is tiny but your grandmother or great grandmother would recognize it instantly.

Nob Hill, Union Square and Chinatown are within easy walking distance. On 2 occasions we walked to the Ferry Building (about 1 mile…and downhill) and I walked to and from the BART station at Market and Powell Streets. The Powell and the California Street cable car lines are each 2 blocks away.
If this particular Joie de Vivre Hotel doesn’t meet your needs they have 5 or 6 more so check them out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Petite Auberge? Share your experiences!