“A wonderful place - quiet and very friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Petite Auberge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   863 Bush Street, San Francisco, CA 94108 (Nob Hill)   |
Ranked #25 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
Melbourne, Australia
“A wonderful place - quiet and very friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is a very pretty, small hotel situated in Nob Hill, only a 3 minute walk to the cable car and 5 minutes to Union Square.
I stayed three nights at the Petite Auberge in Sept/Oct 2012. When I arrived there they discovered that my room had not been made up and immediately upgraded me to a deluxe room. It was wonderfully appointed with a gas log fire, a huge bed, desk, sitting chair, couch etc. Double glazing kept the noise out too. The staff were very friendly and the manager gave me lots of hints of what to do and see (particularly some of the less touristy things like historical walks etc). Breakfast was included but i have to admit the bed was so comfortable that i slept in every day and missed breakfast. There was also a lounge with free tea/coffee/biscuits/fruit etc.
This was my first trip to the US and my first trip traveling alone and i have to say that my experience at this hotel completely relaxed me and had me walking around San Francisco with a smile on my face.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Davis, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I found Petite Auberge a very comfortable place to stay. The room had the little things that make a place comfortable: sitting chairs, good light for reading in bed, lots of shelves in the bathroom, a full length mirror, lots of drawer space, free wifi. And that doesn't even touch on the free breakfast and h'orderves w/ wine! I always find it a hassle when traveling to just sit down to relax a glass of wine in the evening or get a lite breakfast, so I really appreciated it. The buffet breakfast was sausage, quiche, fruit, various baked goodies, oatmeal, cold cereal, and toast. Not a big fancy affair like a B&B, but clearly better than the "continental breakfast" a lot of hotels serve. There was a small breakfast room, plus a sitting area with several small couches. This would certainly be a nice area to sit around drinking coffee all morning.
I was there on a weekday and they shared a front desk with the White Swan two doors down.
The building is older and squeeks a bit. We didn't have problems with loud neighbors, but I imagine there could be problems.
The location is good -- a few blocks (though with a hill) from Union Square.
One thing I didn't like: the floral wall paper. Yuck!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Right off the top the important question; would I stay here again? Without hesitation I would say yes. Petit Auberge is a clean, comfortable, secure place to stay. It is convenient to Union Square, Nob Hill, Chinatown, Embarcadero, Cable Cars, busses, etc.

True to its name Petit Auberge is petit but the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful, our bed comfortable and what could be wrong with a place that has a cookie jar in the lobby?? The breakfast included in the rate was quite good (eggs, meat, fruit, croissants, cereal, juice and such) and the complimentary afternoon wine and hors d’ouevers was most enjoyable. Coffee, bottled water and tea were always available.

Petit Auberge does NOT have lots of amenities. If you need a gym, pool, concierge, bellman, restaurant, bar, spa, meeting rooms and the like you’ll want to stay elsewhere. San Francisco is notoriously expensive and in a town where three and four hundred dollar hotel rooms are standard our room for under $200 a night was a gem. We had what is described as a “cozy queen” and cozy it was! But we don’t come to town to stay in a room we come to see the sights and experience the culture so small rooms suit us fine. An earlier review suggested this might not be the best hotel for business. If you need work space you might try a hotel that caters more to business travelers. We did used the Wi-Fi and found it worked quite well but it is unsecured.

An earlier review mentioned the floors are squeaky and you will hear some street noise. They offer ear plugs if you need them. The entrance is about 8 steps up from the street. If you have mobility problems you may have difficulty accessing this property. Once inside the hotel there is an elevator, it is tiny but your grandmother or great grandmother would recognize it instantly.

Nob Hill, Union Square and Chinatown are within easy walking distance. On 2 occasions we walked to the Ferry Building (about 1 mile…and downhill) and I walked to and from the BART station at Market and Powell Streets. The Powell and the California Street cable car lines are each 2 blocks away.
If this particular Joie de Vivre Hotel doesn’t meet your needs they have 5 or 6 more so check them out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed in the deluxe queen with fireplace and were really happy with the stay and our room. Staff (front desk, kitchen, and cleaning ladies) were very friendly. The hotel is a smallish hotel (unlike the big impersonal ones) and we like it this way. In fact, during certain hours the front desk was empty and service was provided at the White Swan Inn (next door). This made the hotel feel more like a residence. The morning breakfast (included in the price) and the afternoon wine and cheese reception (also free) were great. A pity though that we are always out and didn't get to take advantage of the wine and cheese. Overall a very nice stay in a very nice city.

Room Tip: Although pricier, we like the deluxe queen with fireplace on the 4th floor because it was bigger tha...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at the Petite Auberge for a couple of nights when travelling as a couple last September.

Staff was friendly from the start, when we made a few enquiries about our upcoming reservation.

The 3 floor room was nice and cozy. It was also very small, hardly big enough to open one of our large suitcases, never mind both.. bathroom was also a bit skimpy. But then again, bang in the middle of town, it might have been expected.
Another downside was we were looking out onto a wall about 2 feet away.
Apart from that, everything was top notch - service, bed (!!) and breakfast. Which was in fact outstanding: good, plentiful, fresh, and varied.

The inhouse cook is wonderful, make sure you taste the cookies and the savoury snacks in the evening :-)

The complimentary wine downstairs in the evening is really great, as it gives you the opportunity to meet and chat with the other guests.

Overall, although it is a bit pricey, this hotel was really very nice. Easy to get to and from, great service and wonderful food. Would definitely recommend

Room Tip: If you can, ask for a room away from the elevator. It is old and noisy, and the guests are too (well...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I didn't think not having air con would matter in November in San Fran but we caught the hot spell so the room was very hot. Very cute but small rooms, though some are larger than others. Get a room not next to the elevator as it is noisy. Nice breakfast and lovely staff

• Stayed November 2012
Global Traveler
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We visit San Francisco annually; used to live there. Booked our flights before realizing that I had booked for the busiest week in San Francisco tourist history: Fleet Week, Blue Angels, Bluegrass Festival, SF Giants playoff games, 49er game, America's Cup sailing, Madonna concerts, Folsom Street fair...it was all on. I guess I should have wondered why this property had availability when the entire City was all but sold out...

Reservations didn't work on-line, but the receptionist was great on the phone. Check in was next door at the adjacent property...Petite Auberge is really an annex of (annex to?) the White Swan Inn. Being a "Joie de Vivre" hotel gave me some assurance the place would be OK. We booked for three nights; nothing much else was free.

Room was OK, a little overly 'chintzed' - the faux Laura Ashley look - but the gas fireplace was everything I had hoped it would be on cool SF afternoons and evenings. The fireplace was indeed the best part of the stay. No desk, and we rearranged the room to be able to see the television (other than while standing)...it would be tough to be there on business.

I've lived in a lot of cities - and this is the noisiest hotel I have ever been in. There must be a bar or club that is adjacent - after our first night we went strolling around looking for it but couldn't find it. There was some girl who from 1 - 2 AM just screamed '[--]!!! LET'S RIP THIS PLACE UP!!!' over and over again. They closed the place and the party continued in the street. All the rooms open on to an alley and a parking lot, so any noise echoes like crazy.

As the property is on the edge of the Tenderloin, there tend to be a fair number of homeless folks in the area. And they get into their fare share of incoherent shouting matches in the nearby allies and streets. In the wee hours.

At 5.30 every morning, someone took a couple of large trash receptacles bouncing down, and then back up the stairs. I suspect it was from the mystery bar.

Sorry to be a downer - but the noise pretty much ruined every night for us from midnight to dawn. Not much sleep.

The breakfast was OK. Nothing special. THEY HAVE GREAT COFFEE!!!

Don't park a car at the hotel. Valet parking is about $35/night, and the minimum wait to retrieve it is 20 minutes. Our last morning, they lost the remote key for the 'keyless' ignition and it took 45 minutes to get the car.

One night we returned at around 11 PM and asked the lone person at the White Swan (as Petit Auberge is locked up tight) to please call the valet. He said he'd get to it and took the key. I'm not sure why but he started the car and left it unlocked...with a lot of our belongings in the car. I had to come back, track him down and lock the car and wait for the valet myself. I asked why he had left the car unlocked - and he gave me a hard time.If not already so sleep-deprived, I would have gotten his name.

Summary: I would not stay here again - there are lots of better choices in SF. Very, very noisy. Cute, but not user friendly. And some staff that need to find another line of work.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs, or better, choose a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pam1975, General Manager at Petite Auberge, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay at Petite Auberge. I am sorry to hear that the noise from the neighboring businesses disturbed your sleep and that you experienced problems retreiving your vehicle from our valet parking service. I will be sure to address these issues with the staff so future guests do not have the same experieince. I am happy you enjoyed the fireplace and the coffee offered all day in our parlor.

Been to Petite Auberge? Share your experiences!