Right off the top the important question; would I stay here again? Without hesitation I would say yes. Petit Auberge is a clean, comfortable, secure place to stay. It is convenient to Union Square, Nob Hill, Chinatown, Embarcadero, Cable Cars, busses, etc.
True to its name Petit Auberge is petit but the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful, our bed comfortable and what could be wrong with a place that has a cookie jar in the lobby?? The breakfast included in the rate was quite good (eggs, meat, fruit, croissants, cereal, juice and such) and the complimentary afternoon wine and hors d’ouevers was most enjoyable. Coffee, bottled water and tea were always available.
Petit Auberge does NOT have lots of amenities. If you need a gym, pool, concierge, bellman, restaurant, bar, spa, meeting rooms and the like you’ll want to stay elsewhere. San Francisco is notoriously expensive and in a town where three and four hundred dollar hotel rooms are standard our room for under $200 a night was a gem. We had what is described as a “cozy queen” and cozy it was! But we don’t come to town to stay in a room we come to see the sights and experience the culture so small rooms suit us fine. An earlier review suggested this might not be the best hotel for business. If you need work space you might try a hotel that caters more to business travelers. We did used the Wi-Fi and found it worked quite well but it is unsecured.
An earlier review mentioned the floors are squeaky and you will hear some street noise. They offer ear plugs if you need them. The entrance is about 8 steps up from the street. If you have mobility problems you may have difficulty accessing this property. Once inside the hotel there is an elevator, it is tiny but your grandmother or great grandmother would recognize it instantly.
Nob Hill, Union Square and Chinatown are within easy walking distance. On 2 occasions we walked to the Ferry Building (about 1 mile…and downhill) and I walked to and from the BART station at Market and Powell Streets. The Powell and the California Street cable car lines are each 2 blocks away.
If this particular Joie de Vivre Hotel doesn’t meet your needs they have 5 or 6 more so check them out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located between Nob Hill and Union Square, Petite Auberge is the perfect small hotel for a trip to San Francisco. The Petite Auberge welcomes you to a world of French provincial enchantment. French doors with beveled glass, a collection of French art, a cozy parlor with a crackling fire and afternoon wine and hors d'oeuvres. Most guestrooms offer fireplaces. We offer a generous breakfast buffet each morning and an evening wine reception. Fresh baked cookies are available each afternoon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Petite Auberge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Petite Auberge Hotel San Francisco
- Petite Auberge San Francisco